William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Honda View Post
Mick Jagger???????

Carley Simon.
I thought she was tallking about Mick. Or maybe that was James Taylor.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:45 PM
If it flies, I can crash it!
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Ordered one of these radios today. My first Spektrum radio. I've been a Futaba guy for years. I've had a Futaba 9CHP Super with a Spektrum module in it for a few years for my BNF planks. I'm out of model memory, so it's time to get something new.

Doug
djdavid60 is offline Find More Posts by djdavid60
Old Feb 01, 2013, 12:31 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post
Ordered one of these radios today. My first Spektrum radio. I've been a Futaba guy for years. I've had a Futaba 9CHP Super with a Spektrum module in it for a few years for my BNF planks. I'm out of model memory, so it's time to get something new.

Doug
Let us know what you think.Im pretty sure you are going to be in for a big surprise.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:58 PM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Let us know what you think.Im pretty sure you are going to be in for a big surprise.
I'm already suprised! I ordered it from Amazon via Horizon Hobby, since I had some Amazon gift card to get rid of. I ordered it yesterday, and it showed up today. I never got a shipment notification email, and did not pay extra for expidited shipping. I wasn't expecting it until next week.

I will post my initial thoughts once I get to do more than power it up. Nice beep though

Doug
Old Feb 01, 2013, 03:09 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
718 Posts
Cool that you got it Doug. I'll be interested to hear about your first impressions .
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:59 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavid60 View Post

Doug
Doug,
Welcome aboard!
I think you'll love it.
czorzella is offline Find More Posts by czorzella
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:04 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
I thought she was tallking about Mick. Or maybe that was James Taylor.
Warren Beatty ?
No.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#axzz2Jm2TOAbb
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:37 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
... Moved to QQ thread
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Last edited by nippaero; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:31 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Just got mine yesterday #1240. I had one small problem. The right stick would twist in place and when I tugged on it a little the stick came right out The other stick is solid.

I'm probably just going to dab a small amount of epoxy on it and push it back in.

Overall, I really like it compared to my DX8. First plane to program will be a Habu32.
Wrong thread?

I am happy you are ok with fixing it that way.. why did it come out?
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:41 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
Ruh roh. I thought I was in the QQ thread. It was loose and pulled right out.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:08 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Ruh roh. I thought I was in the QQ thread. It was loose and pulled right out.
I know had I received anything purchased new that way, I'd be sending it in. Certainly would not want to have it come lose, or void the warranty due to epoxy.
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:34 AM
Naperville, IL
Joined Aug 2010
1,154 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castel101 View Post
Cool that you got it Doug. I'll be interested to hear about your first impressions .
Ok, I've had a few days to play with the DX18, so here are my impressions out of the box.

1. Great look and feel. I like the way this radio feels in my hands. The rubberized material around the back provides a sure grip. Switches are located nicely. Gimbals feel like high quality components. The display is larger than what I am used to.

2. Very intuitive programming interface. I've been a Futaba guy for many years, so there are a couple differences to get used to, such as expo. But all in all, I set up a new Tricopter model, and thanks to reading about the DX18 in Model Aviation last month before I got it, I knew how to get to the System mode. So I never even had to crack the manual open for programming. I'm sure once I make a setup for my gliders or an elevon setup, I'll need to dig around, but the UI is well thought out and easy to navigate.

3. It's nice to buy a radio that comes stock with a Lipo. No more cycling transmitter batteries. Yay!!!

So there are my initial impressions of the DX18. It's a really nice radio. My only complaint is that they should offer a Tx only version. I tend to buy receivers based on what model I have, and I'm not so sure I would have ever bought the included receiver on my own. Oh well, I have a 90 sized P-51 that is still in the box, I guess I could throw it in that.

It's been cold and snowy here in Chicago this past week, so I haven't flown anything with it. I can't wait to get some stick time on it!

Doug
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:05 PM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
706 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
So he thinks he is Mick Jagger?
No, he thinks he's David Geffen...
Lemmiwinks is offline Find More Posts by Lemmiwinks
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Dec 2007
175 Posts
DX 18 Model Presets

Spektrum Community Updates shows many model presets for the DX 8 but none for the DX 18. Should I be looking elsewhere?
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,101 Posts
You ask here for what you are looking for.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip