HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:55 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,720 Posts
Maybe I am dense -but I do have two model setup with flap/el deployment using the 3 position flap switch,-and I fly em - quite often.
the deployment on either one occurs in about 2 seconds and the elev tracks the flap - ( Lots of flap - not much elev)
On either one the model do not zoom or get weird as the landing deployment takes place .
Why would one want the flap deployment to take more time ?
really?
Z- I setup a 1/5th scale Mustang for a guy here - using the DX8 and used same speed on deployment - works nicely - smooth transition with no zooming etc..
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:00 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Maybe I am dense -but I do have two model setup with flap/el deployment using the 3 position flap switch,-and I fly em - quite often.
the deployment on either one occurs in about 2 seconds and the elev tracks the flap - ( Lots of flap - not much elev)
On either one the model do not zoom or get weird as the landing deployment takes place .
Why would one want the flap deployment to take more time ?
really?
Z- I setup a 1/5th scale Mustang for a guy here - using the DX8 and used same speed on deployment - works nicely - smooth transition with no zooming etc..
I'm not looking for it to take more time, just the same time with either the switch or the lever. (Elevator that is)
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:06 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
<snip> There's no way to slow down the elevator there either, I was hoping the DX18 would have offered that option.

Andy... I'm adding my vote for the inclusion of that ability to slow down elevator compensation for flaps when operated with a lever instead of the switch with an upcoming AirWare update if possible....
Have you checked my SPM file? Try it on blank model memory and let me know what you think. Use the right lever. and watch the Flap and elevator.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:17 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
So what are you saying? Set up my flap system with speed compensation that I desire (including elevator offset), mix Lever to Flaps, and also mix Flaps to Elevator with a curve?
NO!

It sounds like you are asking for two different things to actuate the same function. How well does having 2 bosses work for you personally? It's the same thing - you would have one saying "do this" and the other "do that" and which one should you obey?

If you want flaps actuated with a switch, then you can use the Flap System to coordinate flaps and elevator together.

If you want flaps actuated by a lever, then you select the lever and do ALL the elevator compensation with a curve P-Mix.

If you want to trim your flaps with a lever but have them actuated by a switch, then you use Flap System (including ele comp) and add a P-Mix for lever > flap. If you want to add trim to the elevator as well, then you add P-Mix for lever > elevator.

If you're flying a glider, then you use Sherman's templates and reference guide.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:30 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
NO!

It sounds like you are asking for two different things to actuate the same function. How well does having 2 bosses work for you personally? It's the same thing - you would have one saying "do this" and the other "do that" and which one should you obey?

If you want flaps actuated with a switch, then you can use the Flap System to coordinate flaps and elevator together.

If you want flaps actuated by a lever, then you select the lever and do ALL the elevator compensation with a curve P-Mix.

If you want to trim your flaps with a lever but have them actuated by a switch, then you use Flap System (including ele comp) and add a P-Mix for lever > flap. If you want to add trim to the elevator as well, then you add P-Mix for lever > elevator.

If you're flying a glider, then you use Sherman's templates and reference guide.

Andy
Which all just brings us back around the same vicious circle.

Like I said, I found it was overly complicated during flight to have as you put it "Two Bosses", so the lever activation of the flaps is only active when the F-Mode switch is in "Flaps Up" mode.

If you do the mixes to trim flaps like you say, it still leaves you with the elevator moving at full speed and the flaps moving at the slow-down that is programmed into the flap system. (if you were to move the lever to say half travel all at once)
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:33 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,549 Posts
What I am getting is that some want the Flap System functions (delay and elev comp.) on a lever so in the event they decide to jam the lever at full the flaps and elevator still deploy at set speed.

My provided file does this but the Right Lever acts as a 3 position switch which was what the original member who the file was intended for wanted.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:39 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
What I am getting is that some want the Flap System functions (delay and elev comp.) on a lever so in the event they decide to jam the lever at full the flaps and elevator still deploy at set speed.
Yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
My provided file does this but the Right Lever acts as a 3 position switch which was what the original member who the file was intended for wanted.
Fair enough, I thought he was asking for the same thing I wanted since he referenced earlier posts.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:01 AM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Dec 2009
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
Perhaps not exactly the same thing in the way it occurred, but see this thread, post 959, 960, 962 - seems to be a similar occurrence at least. It has not happened again to me in a long time.
Thank you mejmea. Sounds like a minor bug then?
tmsn is online now Find More Posts by tmsn
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:04 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
the signal of the DX18 seams to be more weak ..... probably this happens becouse the TX continusly switch between the two antennas.

and the LOG interpreted this sa a loosing of data. could be rigth?
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,931 Posts
Quote:
If you do the mixes to trim flaps like you say, it still leaves you with the elevator moving at full speed and the flaps moving at the slow-down that is programmed into the flap system. (if you were to move the lever to say half travel all at once)
No it doesn't if you set up your model correctly.

How are you slowing the flaps down in this scenario? The ONLY method to slow them should be your finger.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:46 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
No it doesn't if you set up your model correctly.

How are you slowing the flaps down in this scenario? The ONLY method to slow them should be your finger.

Andy
That's right, the only method is to slowly move the lever.

If there is some way to have 2 AIL, 2FLP wing with flaperons and the flap system with slow-down, and the lever make the flaps and elevator move at the same speed I am at a loss to see how it is done. Even if I could have the lever move the flaps and elevator quickly that would work. But when you slow down the flap system and use the LFLP as slave the flaps deploy at the slow speed.

The key thing missing is the ability to have the lever move the flaps and elevator at the same speed with the above scenario. If it was fast for both I could live with that. If I move the lever too fast and the airplane balloons, to bad for me.

Just to backtrack a bit, you did say that Flap System available as a slave device was on the wish list?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:13 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,931 Posts
Can you give us a full description of your aircraft? Got photos?

A description of what you really are asking for would help, for instance "full span flap action" or "flaps and ailerons are independent." (For full-span flaps you are using Sailplane programming, for independent you are using Acro mode).

How many elevator and rudder servos? Number of throttles? Gear? Desired out/inputs for each?

Flap System as a slave is already in the radio, but MIXES ARE NOT TIME-DELAYED, only the primary flap action!

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,247 Posts
Quote:
Can you give us a full description of your aircraft? Got photos?

A description of what you really are asking for would help, for instance "full span flap action" or "flaps and ailerons are independent." (For full-span flaps you are using Sailplane programming, for independent you are using Acro mode).

How many elevator and rudder servos? Number of throttles? Gear? Desired out/inputs for each?

Flap System as a slave is already in the radio, but MIXES ARE NOT TIME-DELAYED, only the primary flap action!

Andy
Twin Otter with 2 Flaps, 2 Ailerons, 1 Rudder, 2 Elevators, 2 Throttles

I have Flaps with Ailerons mixed in as Flaperons with Elevator compenstation. That all moves at the speed I select in the flap system.

If you make a mix of Lever to LFLP only the flaps move.

If you make another mix of Lever to LELEV, the elevator moves at full speed. Same as if you make a mix of Lever to LAIL.

Nowhere do I see an option of mixing Lever to "Flap System", which I would expect/hope to have the result of moving the whole system at the speed compensation, elevators included.
Last edited by davidmc36; Jan 31, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:15 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,931 Posts
Quote:
Nowhere do I see an option of mixing Lever to "Flap System", which I would expect/hope to have the result of moving the whole system at the speed compensation, elevators included.
And you won't, because mixes are not subject to time, the delay is a function of the control switch changing state. Other changes are effective immediately. If the main switch isn't being changed, there isn't going to be a delay involved.

You can't mix to the Acro flap system's input, only to its outputs (RFL and LFL). Mixes take effect immediately.

I think glider mode does what you want better than Acro mode. The wing processing is extremely complex there.

Why not fly the Otter in a more scale-like manner?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:18 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post
the signal of the DX18 seams to be more weak ..... probably this happens becouse the TX continusly switch between the two antennas.

and the LOG interpreted this sa a loosing of data. could be rigth?
Im not sure what you are seeing but it looks to me that both appear to be pretty close to each other as far as raw power output. -25db
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal