HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:37 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
............. For "exotic' models th 18 Futaba and DX18 Spektrum are roughly in the same ball park -Bluntly - the Spektrum has many more capabilities- it is loaded with mix etc capabilities -yet works easily with the RTF electric Bind n Fiy sty stuff.. and it has --model match - which can and does save yer bacon .
If you are referring to the Futaba MZ18 and saying that the DX18 is a comparable radio then you are grossly incorrect -- about the only comparison is the 18. The 18MZ is light years ahead of the DX 18 in flexibility and programming capability. I honestly don't want to start any flaming wars and I do own both the 18MZ and the DX18. The DX18 is simply not in the same league. I truly like my DX18, it is a great radio with oodles of programming capability (I like it better than the JR 12X) but, it has a long way to go before an honest comparison can be made with the 18MZ.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,612 Posts
All I will add is every Futaba owner well all that I know have a spektrum radio or module to fly the cool little BnF stuff from HH. I don't know anybody who uses a spektrum radio as his main radio and has a second futaba.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:33 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
If you are referring to the Futaba MZ18 and saying that the DX18 is a comparable radio then you are grossly incorrect -- about the only comparison is the 18. The 18MZ is light years ahead of the DX 18 in flexibility and programming capability. I honestly don't want to start any flaming wars and I do own both the 18MZ and the DX18. The DX18 is simply not in the same league. I truly like my DX18, it is a great radio with oodles of programming capability (I like it better than the JR 12X) but, it has a long way to go before an honest comparison can be made with the 18MZ.

Howard
How each of us compares radio models is obviously based on what features appeal to us .
The programming on the MZ18 is the main thrust of the design- at least that is how it appears to me . It is extensive .
This appeals to a certain portion of t he market -

IF they had telemetry, Model Match and would work with the insanely popular Bind n Fly stuff - THEN they would have a winner.
In my book-
They still produce a very nice system - but off the mark when compared against others .
Just getting a good rf link and lots of programming - is a given in today's market.-
Let's face it - chip technology has completely revolutionized the business
So - the key to advancing interest revolves around features which were never seen on past systems .
Just like the automobile business
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:43 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
so i thought i would ask here, so let the flaming begin!!

this spring i will be in the market for a new transmitter. a couple buddies of mine fly spektrum stuff, and i'm not a huge fan of them. my brother has a dx7s and it's ok, but i'm looking for more.

i'm new to flying, i don't need a ton of channels, i don't need a ton of mixing, BUT i'm going to buy once and cry once. i have narrowed my choices down to the spektrum dx18 or the new futaba 14sg. now i know this is not the place, but i like futaba stuff. so that being said, what would i gain by going for the spektrum over the futaba. i don't have a ton of planes so receivers are not a problem as right now i'm not tied to any brand.
Personally, I'm not a big fan of telling people to buy the "best you possibly can so you'll never have to buy it again". I've been around this hobby long enough to know that no matter how much you spend, there will be something newer and better just around the corner. I'd say buy any good quality transmitter that you like, that feels good in your hands and has the features that you need for the foreseeable future. If you don't need a ton of channels or a ton of mixing then don't pay for those features. By the time you decide that you do need a ton of channels or lots of mixing there will almost certainly be something better and probably less expensive available. Since you didn't provide any information about the types of aircraft your interested in flying within the next couple of years, it's pretty tough to make any kind of a meaningful suggestion but the only way this will be the last transmitter that you buy is if you don't stay in the hobby for very long.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:55 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,690 Posts
Quote:
.... i don't have a ton of planes so receivers are not a problem as right now i'm not tied to any brand.
Why limit to the two brands? Also, no need for much mixing etc but still shopping the top radios?
BNF models are all basic 6 channel radio models; a $160 soln.
If you want a radio that you won't hear, it can't do that, look at the Jeti DS-16. For only a few hundred more than the QQ, the feature list and potential options are well above both of these brands.
View the radio details at Esprit
Faster yes,
all curveable proportional virtually unlimited mixing yes,
Telemetry full suite (as well as after market options) with virtually unlimited programmable read out from any switch, even a built in accelerometer as a usable switch (tilt to activate),
Full voice/audio control to silence as you wish, auto out of limit alarms,
Unlimited mixing, timer, sequence etc
Optional Stick switches.
added RX's can be used as satellites
Firmware upgradable, TX and RX, 10 hr Lithbattery and on and on and on
The guy here on RCG even setup the pots to mix rates or expo on the fly.
Ha Even if you're board of flying they have a suite of on board games to play

Just check them over before you park your dollars.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:11 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Ha Even if you're board of flying they have a suite of on board games to play

Just check them over before you park your dollars.
Are you kidding? Looks like a really nice radio but board games

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:23 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry H View Post
Are you kidding? Looks like a really nice radio but board gamesHarry
Yes! board games. They have 4G of built in memory and mapping to just keep adding as you want. And the SD music and sound bits can also play on queue with any event, sequence or switch.
When you look it over, Even I'm having a hard time finding something it can't do.
It records and real time displays telem and has a dedicated independent Telem/programmer for even less than the I-Device solution.
Just look it over.... I'll keep my JR/Spek and may convert it to a Jeti module back radio, but its flexibility is hard to beat.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:03 PM
Austria, Vienna
Joined Nov 2012
21 Posts
@Maxthrottle: sorry but the Jeti DS-16 just looks ugly......

@Andy : i hope the DX18FC comes with Bluetooth, we all know everything is better with Bluetooth, right Sheldon
Kamer is offline Find More Posts by Kamer
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:10 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,690 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamer View Post
ware dark glasses Actually it looks like a number of the Futaba's so to the OP's question; Its up to him.....If that's the best fault that can be given, I'll take it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:33 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
There are threads for other brands. Please use the thread for your favorite brand.

Thanks.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:36 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
not really interested in the jeti radio. the one's i listed have more features than i need already and are half the price.

BNF means nothing to me. most of the planes i would be interested in from HH also come in the PNP version, which would suit me better anyway. i dont care for the micro planes that much, and if one should happen to make it in my hangar i have my dx5e from my apprentice i could fly it with.

i have a couple warbirds, my apprentice (which i converted into a taildragger with tundra tires), but i'm starting to get more and more into a mix of 3d and imac style flying. i think this will be where i'm headed in my flying so i am looking for a transmitter to handle my fleet as it is now, AND handle some 3d and general aerobatic planes.

while i know the dx7s or the futaba 8fg would fit the bill, i'm looking for something more.

thanks for the replys,
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:47 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,690 Posts
Yes Andy. Just answering the OPs call for comparison. Not trying to crash the party.
It sounds like he's a good candidate for and DX8. May be the little more he's looking for. Its hard to tell what, "just want a little more" means while looking at a lot more in the DX18.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
There are threads for other brands. Please use the thread for your favorite brand.Thanks.Andy
Quote:
not really interested in the jeti radio. the one's i listed have more features than i need already and are half the price.
BNF means nothing to me. ...to handle my fleet as it is now, AND handle some 3d and general aerobatic planes.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:55 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamer View Post

@Andy : i hope the DX18FC comes with Bluetooth, we all know everything is better with Bluetooth, right Sheldon
My DX18 is getting bluetooth soon
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:03 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Max - the OP was banned several months ago. I think any questions he had are either answered or a moot point by now. He does e-mail me from time to time.

Muke - I certainly hope you do some major testing prior to making your installation too permanent...

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:07 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,691 Posts
Of course, thanks for your warning
I know there could be interference. The plan is to make it very low power. I will try it first with my DX8 before moving it to my "productive" radio.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem