1,783 Posts
exactly! Where is it Andy?
hahahah.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:00 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,295 Posts
Guess that will be the distinguishing feature of the SFL version, right?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,783 Posts
The world is ready for it now, Andy! Let's do this!
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:23 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Come on guys (Andy and Freechip). That's an non defendable miss. The I-device soln min $220 price tag (which used to be $340) assumed everyone walks around with an I-device. Well they don't.

Graupner even had the audio built into to their JR module before the DX8 released. So it wouldn't have been a stretch to have incorporated what now is a under $60 hack or add on. So why not the DX18.

From the convos on not looking down at telem, and screen display updates for telem with the DX8, while so many said what about a audio out...Its becoming a common enough feature even on cheap systems to wonder why not on the DX18.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:26 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
642 Posts
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Last edited by mejmea; Jan 25, 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: I hate doing this on a phone, see next post....
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:28 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Oh comon, don't be silly.... I'm sure almost everybody can agree that a built-in-audio-module is better than no built-in-audio-module. I mean: more features, at the cost of nothing, is allways better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Where's the audio module in the DX18?

Andy
Quote:
exactly! Where is it Andy?
hahahah.
I can see both sides of this but positing that an audio module could have been added to the Dx18 or any other radio for no cost isn't realistic. By that logic every other product, including Vspeak, ought to have every possible feature right from the start, at no additional cost. Vspeak looks very nice in many ways but I'm sure someone will come up with something that it is missing that they want-would you expect Vspeak to then provide it for free?

If you think about it, why is Vspeak even in business? Because they believe they have a product that fills a market niche that is not being met by others. If Spektrum, Graupner, or others built all of the same features into their radios then Vspeak has no unique product to sell. If I were Vspeak I'd be happy that Spektrum, Graupner, and others aren't trying to eat my lunch and put me out of business!

It's one thing to put in a product improvement request, knowing that some might come and some might not, and that we on the outside will never know all of the reasons going into any given decision. This particular discussion has taken a turn in the wrong direction towards being personal rather than being a respectful discussion IMHO. Are there features I'd like to see? Sure. Will they happen? I don't know but if I want them badly enough I hope there is a Vspeak type of company out there working on it rather than spending their time complaining about the lack of it.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Last edited by mejmea; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:38 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,188 Posts
Quote:
Oh comon, don't be silly.... <snip>.
What's really silly is crying about stuff you buyers new full well what features the radio had when they bought it.

I have nothing against making request for future features but to post that is super easy to do, costs nothing to do and it SHOULD have been done and this and that and to post what's currently available isn't good because someone else is doing something else for it to me is in fact silly.

I never once said anything bad about Vspeak, my comment was in regards to
Quote:
Can't wrap my head around as to why spektrum doesn't do this themselves
and I answered they did with the STI dongle and App.

Nothing silly about my response.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:34 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post

I have never had a tach other than using telemetry. Tells me enough about how different props are spinning.

Many thanks!

Finding things a bit hit/miss about telemetry -- Ugh!

Watched the part 1 video ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...C3D721D3F45B4C ) -- helped; but can't find the part 2 ?

Anybody know what the max voltage is that can be measure with: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ensor-SPMA9570 ; that came w/TM1000 ?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,188 Posts
60v
Quote:
Originally Posted by TM1000 MANUAL
Specifications:
Type: TM1000 Telemetry module
Operational Voltage: 3.5 to 9.6 volts
Dimensions: 43 x 25 x 12mm
Weight: 15.8 g
RPM Range: 0 to 65,500
Flight Pack Voltage Range: 0–60V
Temperature Range: -40F to 1000F/ -40C to 538C
Receiver Volts: 0–8.0V
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
so i thought i would ask here, so let the flaming begin!!

this spring i will be in the market for a new transmitter. a couple buddies of mine fly spektrum stuff, and i'm not a huge fan of them. my brother has a dx7s and it's ok, but i'm looking for more.

i'm new to flying, i don't need a ton of channels, i don't need a ton of mixing, BUT i'm going to buy once and cry once. i have narrowed my choices down to the spektrum dx18 or the new futaba 14sg. now i know this is not the place, but i like futaba stuff. so that being said, what would i gain by going for the spektrum over the futaba. i don't have a ton of planes so receivers are not a problem as right now i'm not tied to any brand.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:39 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
so i thought i would ask here, so let the flaming begin!!

this spring i will be in the market for a new transmitter. a couple buddies of mine fly spektrum stuff, and i'm not a huge fan of them. my brother has a dx7s and it's ok, but i'm looking for more.

i'm new to flying, i don't need a ton of channels, i don't need a ton of mixing, BUT i'm going to buy once and cry once. i have narrowed my choices down to the spektrum dx18 or the new futaba 14sg. now i know this is not the place, but i like futaba stuff. so that being said, what would i gain by going for the spektrum over the futaba. i don't have a ton of planes so receivers are not a problem as right now i'm not tied to any brand.
Compatibility with any Spektrum Rx including all BNF models is a plus. Having 18 proportional channels is a plus. Having Model Match is a plus.

Futabas are comparable radios, however, at least two of the channels are non proportional On/Off switches.

There are at least 3 different implementations of Futaba 2.4 so not all Futaba 2.4 receivers are compatible with every model transmitter.
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:10 PM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
668 Posts
I have been eyeballing the 14SG as well. Download both manuals and look at how you do simple things like mixes etc. Spektrum has really made things intuitive.

Compare telemetry options between the two.
I also think Spektrum has more choices when it comes to receivers.
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My latest radio lineup
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:09 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,387 Posts
Programming Futabas is a pain in the axx. There are still some bugs in the software. I think the Futaba stuff is more expensive. There is no Modelmatch. If you want to equip many foamies, you go cheaper with Spek....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:47 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,553 Posts
It really comes down to which models you are interested in flying .
The Futabas work fine - they just are not compatible with the Bind n Fly stuff .
For "exotic' models th 18 Futaba and DX18 Spektrum are roughly in the same ball park -Bluntly - the Spektrum has many more capabilities- it is loaded with mix etc capabilities -yet works easily with the RTF electric Bind n Fiy sty stuff.. and it has --model match - which can and does save yer bacon .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson