SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:40 AM
Registered User
Fig Newton's Avatar
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
If I remember Andy commented on that before somthing to the effect that they wanted to work with a platform that was more consistent than one that had so many variations of OS and one that was more secure than one that any 13 year old kid could write bug filled apps for...something like that.
Any 13 yo kid with the right setup can write bug filled apps for IOS. I fail to see how that is a valid reason. This might be a subtle dig on the fact that Apple has to approve the apps and will deny apps they deem offensive. Google has the power to do the same but seems to be more relaxed.

If that is truly Spektrum's (or Andy's) response then it is very weak.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:43 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Please, let's not directly or indirectly go after Andy or Spektrum: both have been very good to us as consumers. Just my opinion.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:50 AM
Registered User
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Any 13 yo kid with the right setup can write bug filled apps for IOS. I fail to see how that is a valid reason. This might be a subtle dig on the fact that Apple has to approve the apps and will deny apps they deem offensive. Google has the power to do the same but seems to be more relaxed.

If that is truly Spektrum's (or Andy's) response then it is very weak.
Well we've got a post from someone who just joined and has what, 9 posts? He comes into this thread and starts bashing Horizon/Spektrum and Andy? I think I smell a rat.....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
You may be right, but sometimes rats serve a good purpose: I mean, I liked Victory Pete.

So, folks, weigh very carefully what others opine, 'cuz sometimes the motive....

Hee, haw!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:02 PM
Registered User
struggleforlife's Avatar
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,880 Posts
... i still thank god every day about VP not being here hahahaha

EDIT: please guys, don't get all serious about this. It's just my sense of humor.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Last edited by struggleforlife; Jan 18, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:11 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
... i still thank god every day about VP not being here hahahaha
Well, it's a funny thing, unless you got on the crap end of ole Pete's stick, he did make others aware of some "issues," and how to deal with them. Now, I told him more than once that his tone scared my donkey!

Hee, haw!

So, I guess the question for Fig is, "Are you feeling lucky, today?"
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:31 PM
Registered User
Fig Newton's Avatar
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Really guys. I wasn't bashing anyone. Merely point out that not supporting android for the reasons suggested wasn't exactly a strong argument. I did not "bash" anyone. I am currently in the market for a new Spektrum radio as we speak.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:35 PM
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,788 Posts
Since I opened a can of worms here I should right the ship and point out that I accredited Andy with both comments when only one was his.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2189

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1189
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:44 PM
Registered User
Fig Newton's Avatar
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
See now that makes a lot more sense. I believe that Andy is referring to the connectors. My son just purchased a RC truck and has the ability to connect his iphone. It has a standard iphone connector on the base of the remote. Now I can plainly see the problem with trying to design a mounting point for the myriad of android enabled phones. Most all iphones/ipods are basically rectangular within a certain range of dimensions and the same end connector.

Keep in mind that I said "IF that is Spektrum/Andys response". Now we are all clear on who said what.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 12:59 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
See now that makes a lot more sense. I believe that Andy is referring to the connectors. My son just purchased a RC truck and has the ability to connect his iphone. It has a standard iphone connector on the base of the remote. Now I can plainly see the problem with trying to design a mounting point for the myriad of android enabled phones. Most all iphones/ipods are basically rectangular within a certain range of dimensions and the same end connector.

Keep in mind that I said "IF that is Spektrum/Andys response". Now we are all clear on who said what.
Newton, dude, you are fine-I think some of "us" are gun shy after the whole Pete thing-we have great support and don't want to run him or it off!

I hope you do buy a Spektrum radio, you'll love it!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:28 PM
Registered User
Fig Newton's Avatar
United States, TX, Burnet
Joined Jan 2013
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Newton, dude, you are fine-I think some of "us" are gun shy after the whole Pete thing-we have great support and don't want to run him or it off!

I hope you do buy a Spektrum radio, you'll love it!
Thanks. I have no idea of the Pete thing, and not sure I want to go back and read 300 pages of thread. Plus I would be highly impressed if I was capable of running off someone with my posts.

I am sure I will end up with a Spektrum radio. It's just a matter of deciding which one. DX6i, DX8 or DX18 which is why I was glancing through this thread. I currently have 3 Parkzone planes and plan on fitting my older gas planes with new receivers. I also have another electric plane on the bench right now waiting for the electronics. Right now I am sure a 6 channel would be fine, but am getting close to where I could max out 10 slots if I got all of my planes up and running on new gear. So then I start looking at the DX8 and 18.

But when I see posts where things like Android won't be supported because it's hard to do you begin rethinking where you want to go. Especially when I am dropping anywhere from $400 to $800 and trying to buy a radio that I plan on using on all of my planes and well into the future.
Fig Newton is offline Find More Posts by Fig Newton
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Thanks. I have no idea of the Pete thing, and not sure I want to go back and read 300 pages of thread. Plus I would be highly impressed if I was capable of running off someone with my posts.

I am sure I will end up with a Spektrum radio. It's just a matter of deciding which one. DX6i, DX8 or DX18 which is why I was glancing through this thread. I currently have 3 Parkzone planes and plan on fitting my older gas planes with new receivers. I also have another electric plane on the bench right now waiting for the electronics. Right now I am sure a 6 channel would be fine, but am getting close to where I could max out 10 slots if I got all of my planes up and running on new gear. So then I start looking at the DX8 and 18.

But when I see posts where things like Android won't be supported because it's hard to do you begin rethinking where you want to go. Especially when I am dropping anywhere from $400 to $800 and trying to buy a radio that I plan on using on all of my planes and well into the future.
Good luck with the hunt!

Hitec has a new radio (so it is said), so you might want to wait.

I have an A 9 and love it, along with my DX 8, which I also love!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 18, 2013, 02:23 PM
The "Foaminator"
mikeruth's Avatar
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2007
2,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Thanks. I have no idea of the Pete thing, and not sure I want to go back and read 300 pages of thread. Plus I would be highly impressed if I was capable of running off someone with my posts.

I am sure I will end up with a Spektrum radio. It's just a matter of deciding which one. DX6i, DX8 or DX18 which is why I was glancing through this thread. I currently have 3 Parkzone planes and plan on fitting my older gas planes with new receivers. I also have another electric plane on the bench right now waiting for the electronics. Right now I am sure a 6 channel would be fine, but am getting close to where I could max out 10 slots if I got all of my planes up and running on new gear. So then I start looking at the DX8 and 18.

But when I see posts where things like Android won't be supported because it's hard to do you begin rethinking where you want to go. Especially when I am dropping anywhere from $400 to $800 and trying to buy a radio that I plan on using on all of my planes and well into the future.
Just an FYI, if your not in need of telemetry then take a hard look at Airtronics SD-10G. Solid as a rock and none of this hooking up to PC's for updates, they did it right to begin with. Yes there is a possibilty they could offer an update that would require a connection, but at this point that's not the case.
It has been on the market now a few years and there's rumor of a new TX by them in the near future, but, they really don't let out any info till they have a solid product to deliver.
mikeruth is offline Find More Posts by mikeruth
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:20 PM
Registered User
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeruth View Post
Just an FYI, if your not in need of telemetry then take a hard look at Airtronics SD-10G. Solid as a rock and none of this hooking up to PC's for updates, they did it right to begin with. Yes there is a possibilty they could offer an update that would require a connection, but at this point that's not the case.
It has been on the market now a few years and there's rumor of a new TX by them in the near future, but, they really don't let out any info till they have a solid product to deliver.
Just an FYI.Dude your zipper is down.Again.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
Registered User
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Newton View Post
Thanks. I have no idea of the Pete thing, and not sure I want to go back and read 300 pages of thread. Plus I would be highly impressed if I was capable of running off someone with my posts.

I am sure I will end up with a Spektrum radio. It's just a matter of deciding which one. DX6i, DX8 or DX18 which is why I was glancing through this thread. I currently have 3 Parkzone planes and plan on fitting my older gas planes with new receivers. I also have another electric plane on the bench right now waiting for the electronics. Right now I am sure a 6 channel would be fine, but am getting close to where I could max out 10 slots if I got all of my planes up and running on new gear. So then I start looking at the DX8 and 18.

But when I see posts where things like Android won't be supported because it's hard to do you begin rethinking where you want to go. Especially when I am dropping anywhere from $400 to $800 and trying to buy a radio that I plan on using on all of my planes and well into the future.
I think if you look closer the word is simply that telemetry is not supported for Droids or PCs at this point in time. IIRC the official statement is "Never say never".
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Spektrum DSM2 and the Nats - Question for Spektrum/JR users aeajr Sailplane Talk 25 May 29, 2012 04:14 PM
Sold Spektrum DX6 6-channel System with Spektrum AR6000 Receiver $50 shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Dec 20, 2011 06:12 PM
Sold Spektrum DX6 6-channel System with Spektrum AR6000 Receiver $50 shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Dec 14, 2011 08:30 PM
For Sale Spektrum & JR 2.4 Ghz DSM2 receivers for sale I have a sailplane sized Spektrum AR93 zaptherio Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Nov 15, 2011 06:14 PM
Sold SPEKTRUM DX6i DSMX with Spektrum Ni-cads and charger- like new condition shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Oct 19, 2011 05:59 AM