Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:18 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
How is the DX18's LiPo pack kept in balance?
The HVC is in the charger, the LVC and Balance logic are in the lipo chip. Not real sure why they elected to do that. Other then saving a dollar on the stock TX.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:19 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,080 Posts
800$ radio with telemetry and your not going to use telemetry volt voltage ?
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 07, 2013, 08:26 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
800$ radio with telemetry and your not going to use telemetry volt voltage ?
Don't have any telem modules yet Probably no planes worthy of it yet. Lots of PZ, epp, and one radian. Probably good idea for my radian, but that has a ar400 already. Spent $50 yesterday on towerhobbie parts for radian mods. And of course you can't buy *only what you need, you need a little extra *stuff to bring the shipping delta down. Ugg.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:16 PM
Happy Habu Hustler
Joined May 2012
1,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Or... forget the timer alarms and get a lipo alarm in the plane(s).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=18987
Most of my aircraft are micro-airplanes and micro-helicopters that won't use them, but I ordered four of these little buddies for the larger ones.
kevinrc is online now Find More Posts by kevinrc
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:21 PM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
691 Posts
Question

Looking to upgrade from my DX7. Between the DX8 and the DX18 which Tx is slimmer? From the video's I reviewed between the DX8, DX18 and DX18QQ the DX18 + DX18QQ are slimmer. I haven't had the chance to hold all these TX i my hands to see how they feel but tomorrow my trip to the LHS I will be able to hold the DX8 & the DX18QQ. I would figure the DX18 and the DX18QQ would be the same thickness? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:27 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
Looking to upgrade from my DX7. Between the DX8 and the DX18 which Tx is slimmer? From the video's I reviewed between the DX8, DX18 and DX18QQ the DX18 + DX18QQ are slimmer. I haven't had the chance to hold all these TX i my hands to see how they feel but tomorrow my trip to the LHS I will be able to hold the DX8 & the DX18QQ. I would figure the DX18 and the DX18QQ would be the same thickness? Thanks!
The DX18 and DX18QQ are identical case sizes despite coming from different factories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...w6ejs4g#t=281s

While in the video the DX8 does appear 'thicker', there's not a massive difference. My own personal preference is that the DX18 range feel nicer and more balanced in hand to me, maybe others may not agree.
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Jan 08, 2013, 06:22 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post

Or... forget the timer alarms and get a lipo alarm in the plane(s). Best 3 bucks you will spend. Gives you the real deal, not a guess, with plenty of gas to land and settable to the LVC you prefer, 3.3v default IIRC.

These can be heard above the common background noise at an RC field?

Do they work with A123s?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 08, 2013, 08:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,063 Posts
Quote:
The DX8 is about 1/4" thicker than the DX18, but DEFINITELY don't go by that, you MUST feel them both to know the difference.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:04 AM
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The DX8 is about 1/4" thicker than the DX18, but DEFINITELY don't go by that, you MUST feel them both to know the difference.

Andy
Thanks! Does the DX18 come with a Telemetry module or do you have to buy it separately? Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:11 AM
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
539 Posts
DX18 does not include telemetry module.
Bugbitten is online now Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:40 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,373 Posts
I wish the power switch had a bit more grip on it -- like the rubberized scroll wheel.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:16 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,373 Posts
Snap roll

My 9503 like my 9303 and IIRC 8103 have a snap roll system -- does it exist on the DX18?

Can the bind button be programmed as a snap roll button?
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:21 AM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
My 9503 like my 9303 and IIRC 8103 have a snap roll system -- does it exist on the DX18?

Can the bind button be programmed as a snap roll button?
The short answer is that no pre-existing snap roll function exists but some fairly detailed discussion about how such a function might be programmed (and the pros/cons) has taken place either earlier in this thread (don't really think it's the most likely) or one of these threads (I just don't remember exactly where - sorry).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585650

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1585650
mejmea is online now Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:47 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,373 Posts
Darn -- I'll miss it !

Maybe in a future update.
Old Jan 08, 2013, 12:12 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,480 Posts
Quote:
There is about four ounces in weight difference and the 18 has a smooth surround on the gimbals -
depending on how you hold the tx this smooth surround will make a differnce in feel- I never noticed it - My son noticed it immediately
-if you play with springing etc., you can get a very similar feel -OR a wildly different feel.
The accuracy of stick is the same as far asI can see but the programming on the 18 is quite a bit more advanced
Which do I prefer ?
I fly both - setup the same way and aside from the programming and slight weight difference - I have no problems switching tx on same models . One works as well as the other .
I do NOT care for heavy tx my old JR 10x types wer e too heavy
more weight is nothing but more weight -
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson