HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:05 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
What the easiest/best way to get my 30+ models from my 9503 (I have PropoData) to a DX18?
My guess is that you did not get the help you were hoping for. I moved models from a JR XG11 using the following process: Using either Work or Excel type in all of the flight controls that you are using as row headings and then under the column headings type in the numerical value for the up/down/left/right. An example might be "aileron 85 88" also, make columen headings for trim and sub trim and type those in for each row. Do this for mixes, flight conditions, and so forth. When you get done you have a spread sheet of your plane that yu can enter into the new radio. This ensures that you have covered all the bases even though it is not perfect it is close. You will then have to correct for servo direction and the trim ratio if each radio uses different full scale trim numbers. This is not as easy as updating via SD, USB, or PC file but, it is better than not when the SD, USB or PC file is not an option.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Please substitute "Fuh, Tah, Bah," for "badges:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Wow -- talk about an education, I did not realize that the DX18 is built by Mexican Federales - same guys that imprison our Marines.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 11:49 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
Wow -- talk about an education, I did not realize that the DX18 is built by Mexican Federales - same guys that imprison our Marines.
Double "Huh?"

Sorry, the logic escapes me.

Are you heaping one inference on another to conclude....?

As for the marine, well, what do you think happens when a Mexican national tries to cross into the U.S. with a shotgun? Oh, I forgot, they do!
JohnathanSwift is online now Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 05, 2013, 12:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,199 Posts
"I'm just returning the shotguns to the COO, senor."

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:13 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
"I'm just returning the shotguns to the COO, senor."

Andy
Si, si, we bring you the head of Che Guevara!

Gee, I'd rather have a DX 18.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:28 PM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
What the easiest/best way to get my 30+ models from my 9503 (I have PropoData) to a DX18?
While I'm sure it isn't what you want to hear, you will need to manually transfer them one at a time. I converted quite a few models from my 12X to my 18X and it really wasn't that bad. I simply opened the model on the 12X, looked at the wing type, set the comparable wing type on the 18X. Entered the model name, etc. Then I copied the travel adjust, sub-trim and reversing from the 12X to the 18X. Next, I Copied the dual rate /expo settings and then the mixes from the 12X to the 18X. Once everything, including the mixes were copied over, if the channel assignments didn't match what was used on the 12X, I went back and set the channel assignments on the DX18 to match. Do this last or you won't be able to select the remapped channels in your mixes but they will continue to work if they were set prior to remapping..

Once the basics are copied over, verify that EVERYTHING works as expected.
It only took about a half hour per model to move them from the 12X to the DX18.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:35 PM
LSF - IV
United States, TX, Highland Village
Joined Jan 2003
3,202 Posts
Final binding with the T1000 telemetry module

Guys I've broken the code on this radio and will complete the install this evening. I'm running a 9300 and a TM1000 telemetry module.

When I do my final bind to lock in fail safe, will the telemetry module need to be bound as well, or is that a one time bind to receiver all I need to worry about?
Hostage-46 is online now Find More Posts by Hostage-46
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:14 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Thanks Howard L and wfield0455!

I've got these from my 9503 via PropoData; too bad there's not a common file protocol or conversion program:
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:33 AM
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Double "Huh?"

Sorry, the logic escapes me.

Are you heaping one inference on another to conclude....?

As for the marine, well, what do you think happens when a Mexican national tries to cross into the U.S. with a shotgun? Oh, I forgot, they do!
The Marine in question crossed the border legally and registered the gun at the border before crossing. As he crossed the border he was then arrested by the Mexicans for smuggling the registered and declared gun. There is an English name for this Mexican process -- it is called extorsion and part of the organized crime play book. I am confident that you did not intend to champion extortion, perhaps just misinformed. I have been involved in other Mexican extortion arrests on innocent active duty military personnel and they all work the same way -- they arrest on BS charges, we pay bribes (fines) and they release.

The reference to Mexican Federales manufacturing the DX18 was intended to be light hearted humor.

Howard
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Howard L and wfield0455!

I've got these from my 9503 via PropoData; too bad there's not a common file protocol or conversion program:
Perfect solution -- some will argue that the numbers will be different and they are likely correct, however, the numbes will be close and that really helps in making the transition.

Howard
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:54 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,577 Posts
No need to argue then numbers will be different, they just will be. Even when using the same brand they can be different, the proof is when you buddy box. My example is DX18 & DX8, same brand and similar radios but yet trainer shows difference when control is switched over.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:59 AM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,184 Posts
JR-12X to DX-18

+1.
I also migrated from a JR-12X to the DX-18. I struggled at first because I was trying to preserve the servo configuration of the 12X and had to learn to create the mixes prior to rearranging the servo/channel mapping.

In the end, I decided it was faster to simply rewire my models. As it turns out, sub-trim was just enough different, that it paid for me to ensure mechanical neutral was as close to ideal as possible, then use the -18 sub-trim for refinement.

About one-half hour per model seems about right, IIRC.

The forum support, in general, and Andy, in particular, will keep you moving forward. As Andy said to me, once you get the concept, things will go smoothly. He was right (I think he gets tired of hearing that.) :-)

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
While I'm sure it isn't what you want to hear, you will need to manually transfer them one at a time. I converted quite a few models from my 12X to my 18X and it really wasn't that bad. I simply opened the model on the 12X, looked at the wing type, set the comparable wing type on the 18X. Entered the model name, etc. Then I copied the travel adjust, sub-trim and reversing from the 12X to the 18X. Next, I Copied the dual rate /expo settings and then the mixes from the 12X to the 18X. Once everything, including the mixes were copied over, if the channel assignments didn't match what was used on the 12X, I went back and set the channel assignments on the DX18 to match. Do this last or you won't be able to select the remapped channels in your mixes but they will continue to work if they were set prior to remapping..

Once the basics are copied over, verify that EVERYTHING works as expected.
It only took about a half hour per model to move them from the 12X to the DX18.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 06, 2013, 11:14 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
Perfect solution -- some will argue that the numbers will be different and they are likely correct, however, the numbes will be close and that really helps in making the transition.

Howard
I've found the endpoint values, sub-trims, etc, to match up very nicely.
Of course sub-trims may vary slightly, even within the same brand/model of transmitter because of differences in calibration but as you said, the differences will be very small.

Simply double check the setup after you copy it over and make whatever minor tweaks you need to get it perfect..

By the way, I'd recommend that you NOT use the Propo Data tool to view the data of your backed up model memories. I've spent a fair amount of time messing with that program (the 12X version) and it doesn't always display the model memories correctly.
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:53 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
I am really enjoying this radio. I to switched from JR to this as my new high performer. I have a question though that may have already been discussed, so if so, I apologize. I now have this and a DX6i as my only radio's. I have looked around but can"t seem to find exactly what I need. Is there an aluminium hard case that I can store both the DX18 and my DX6i in? Thanks all.

Av8er
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Jan 06, 2013, 02:58 PM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8ersteve View Post
I am really enjoying this radio. I to switched from JR to this as my new high performer. I have a question though that may have already been discussed, so if so, I apologize. I now have this and a DX6i as my only radio's. I have looked around but can"t seem to find exactly what I need. Is there an aluminium hard case that I can store both the DX18 and my DX6i in? Thanks all.

Av8er
Spektrum makes a dual, stand-up case: check its web page.

I have one, and use it for a DX 8 and A 9!

And, I suspect you can tote a shotgun across the border, too (just break it down).