HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:50 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,422 Posts
What the easiest/best way to get my 30+ models from my 9503 (I have PropoData) to a DX18?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:53 AM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
What the easiest/best way to get my 30+ models from my 9503 (I have PropoData) to a DX18?
I am all ears on this one!
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
You take the models you are going to be flying first or sooner and transfer them manualy, then later when you have time you transfer the others.

Programming your new radio will have a positive affect, you will learn more about it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:05 AM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Any news on the new DX18 yet (with audio telemetry, bigger screen and USB)?
Yeah, it's called a Futaba 18MZ.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Jan 04, 2013, 10:08 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam View Post
Yeah, it's called a Futaba 18MZ.

Mike
Please substitute "Fuh, Tah, Bah," for "badges:"

We don't need no stinking badges! (0 min 15 sec)

JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:13 AM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,422 Posts
Wasn't a big deal from 652 to 8103; to 9303 a good bit of an effort.

Duck soup to 9503!

A PC tool sure would be helpful.
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 04, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, OH, North Olmsted
Joined Feb 2009
126 Posts
Balancing multiple servos on a single control surface using the DX18. After reviewing the tutorial video on the Spektrum website, they balance the one aileron servo on the wing surface using the procedure but at about 2:05 minutes into the video, he says that both servos are now in balance. I have not actually done this yet on a plane but does it mean that you only balance one servo with the TX and volt meter but the software knows that both servos are on a single control surface so its balancing both at the same time because they are connected within the receiver? I hope I conveyed that clearly.

Can someone please clarify the procedure and confirm that you do not have to perform this procedure for each servo on the same single surface?

Thanks.
Steam28 is offline Find More Posts by Steam28
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:02 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,598 Posts
Not an expert but I have used it before on one setup and I only needed to balance the one servo to match the other. No need to balance the other since I just made the other one balance with that one.

Car A is on cruise control set to 100, Car B just needs to match the speed of Car A then both cars would be going the same speed. Car A does not need to be adjusted since Car B was adjusted.

Hope that makes sense.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:19 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,066 Posts
Balancing Multiple Servos

As "freechip" indicated, the first one does not have to be "balanced"; it serves as the reference.

However, all other servos, on the SAME surface, must be balanced following the video procedure. There are many schools of thought as to which servo should be the primary one (not "balanced", but serves as "reference" or "master") and which should be slaved (i.e., balanced to the master servo.) Giant scale forums have a lot of info about this, but I personally start inboard and work my way outboard following the video's procedure.

The reason there are so many opinions is because, for example, the wing flexes in flight (tip more than the inner/root sections.) So, balancing on a workbench is not the same as dynamically balanced to reflect air loads; but go to the forums for opinions...

Personally, I find that the workbench balance handles most of the needs, but I do not have telemetry to indicate the difference in the air; now there's a neat project. :-)

YMMV.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam28 View Post
Balancing multiple servos on a single control surface using the DX18. After reviewing the tutorial video on the Spektrum website, they balance the one aileron servo on the wing surface using the procedure but at about 2:05 minutes into the video, he says that both servos are now in balance. I have not actually done this yet on a plane but does it mean that you only balance one servo with the TX and volt meter but the software knows that both servos are on a single control surface so its balancing both at the same time because they are connected within the receiver? I hope I conveyed that clearly.

Can someone please clarify the procedure and confirm that you do not have to perform this procedure for each servo on the same single surface?

Thanks.
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:36 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
He's talking about the one without gimbals. You just think what you want it to do, like Firefox.

Andy
I dont want to know where the probes go....
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:38 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
you take the models you are going to be flying first or sooner and transfer them manualy, then later when you have time you transfer the others.

Programming your new radio will have a positive affect, you will learn more about it.
+1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:39 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
Why they go in different places for different users of course, at least partly dependent on the "pucker factor" you like to fly with!
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:42 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropsnWings View Post
No probes, it has ESP!

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:58 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,345 Posts
Quote:
No probes, it has ESP!

Andy
You know, someday in the not so distant future... we may all be laughing at the fact we made fun of it in this way... lol Technology always never ceases to amaze me how fast it progresses.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:18 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,891 Posts
Quote:
No probes, it has ESP!

Andy
I hate it when the aliens do that....