HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:51 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Fig Jam's Avatar
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delateurj View Post
If I use a dx18 with a JR 921 receiver will I be able to get 2048 resolution on elev, rudder, aileron?

Did some searching and just couldn't figure out if statements like "2048 resolution with 12 channel receivers" meant you wouldn't get it with 9 channel receivers on at least some of the channels.

Thanks,
Joe.
R921 9-Channel DSM2 Receiver Specs
Type: DSM2# of Channels: 9Modulation: DSM2Band: 2.4GHz; Resolution: 2048

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:56 PM
Registered User
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delateurj View Post
If I use a dx18 with a JR 921 receiver will I be able to get 2048 resolution on elev, rudder, aileron?

Did some searching and just couldn't figure out if statements like "2048 resolution with 12 channel receivers" meant you wouldn't get it with 9 channel receivers on at least some of the channels.

Thanks,
Joe.
IIRC the 921 is basically equivalent to the AR9000.It should bind @ 2048.Try it.Watch the bind screen on the Tx closely and see what parameters it is binding at.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:06 PM
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Doesn't seem to run on my XP based notebook?
For what it's worth, which isn't much since it doesn't work properly, I tried it on an XP machine. Would not run at all until I installed .NET 4.0.

Then when I tried to edit a file it gave an error; "Editing is only allowed on DX8 profiles at this time." I did not get that error on the W7 machine but the file corrupted somehow and would not import into the radio.

Fine for viewing files on either W7 or XP. Both seem to have the same version of .net
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:20 PM
Registered User
RC_Feen's Avatar
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
704 Posts
Upgrading...need advice

I'm looking to upgrade from my DX7 and looking at the DX8, DX18 and DX18QQ. I'm building a AW 30cc Freestyle Extra 260 that I'll be using the new TX with. The 30cc AW Extra is my largest plane to date and I have five other electric planes I would be using the TX with and a few heli's. I have no intentions in going any larger than a 30cc plane due to transportation limitations and storage but the 50cc and 100cc planes have caught my eye. Could see myself building a scale H9 1/4 scale PA-18 or warbird after I finish my Extra. Only concerns going with the DX18 or DX18QQ now is not really using all the functions of the radio with my current planes and by the time I would need the additional features there might be something new out or a newer technology. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:36 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,124 Posts
Transmitter Upgrade

Always a personal decision, but I generally would rather be limited by my programming abilities and/or $$ than by TX limitations. For the size birds you describe, one could easily use eight channels (two for each aileron, two for the elevator halves, one for rudder, and one for throttle) - smack against the limit of a DX-8; a nice radio, but no growth possible.

I consider the DX-18 as having more powerful programming capabilities, more mixes available, etc.; i.e., you most likely would not outgrow the radio because HH listens to its customers and upgrades are highly likely, but, obviously, not promised or "leaked".

The feel of the -18 vis-a-vis the -8 seems to be something that owners of both like to point out - again, a nice plus for the -18.

You indicated that warbirds are a consideration and they can chew up channels quite quickly with flaps, retracts, canopy and/or airbrakes, etc. Take a look at the sequencer capabilities of the -18, read the excellent sequencer thread started by FreeChip, and you can see that there is room for growth; both you and the TX programming.

I used to own a DX-7, then a JR-12X, now a DX-18; the -18 is superior to the other two, IMHO.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
I'm looking to upgrade from my DX7 and looking at the DX8, DX18 and DX18QQ. I'm building a AW 30cc Freestyle Extra 260 that I'll be using the new TX with. The 30cc AW Extra is my largest plane to date and I have five other electric planes I would be using the TX with and a few heli's. I have no intentions in going any larger than a 30cc plane due to transportation limitations and storage but the 50cc and 100cc planes have caught my eye. Could see myself building a scale H9 1/4 scale PA-18 or warbird after I finish my Extra. Only concerns going with the DX18 or DX18QQ now is not really using all the functions of the radio with my current planes and by the time I would need the additional features there might be something new out or a newer technology. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...Thanks!
Snowflake6515 is online now Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:38 PM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,097 Posts
You buy the best you can afford today to save money tomorrow if that makes sense to you.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:40 PM
Registered User
United States, KY, Madisonville
Joined Mar 2011
544 Posts
It's not what you need, it's what you want in this hobby.

That said. The 8 felt better in my hands than the 7. The 18 even better.
Bugbitten is offline Find More Posts by Bugbitten
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: launch elevator
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
<snip> Take a look at the sequencer capabilities of the -18, read the excellent sequencer thread started by FreeChip <snip>
Thanks DX18/DX18QQ Sequencer Thread Work in progress.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:23 PM
Registered User
Zeeb's Avatar
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
It's not what you need, it's what you want in this hobby.
I keep seeing posts where guys ask "what radio do I need" or some such question. I keep trying to tell people the above but some just don't listen... lol
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:37 PM
Registered User
RC_Feen's Avatar
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake6515 View Post
Always a personal decision, but I generally would rather be limited by my programming abilities and/or $$ than by TX limitations. For the size birds you describe, one could easily use eight channels (two for each aileron, two for the elevator halves, one for rudder, and one for throttle) - smack against the limit of a DX-8; a nice radio, but no growth possible.

I consider the DX-18 as having more powerful programming capabilities, more mixes available, etc.; i.e., you most likely would not outgrow the radio because HH listens to its customers and upgrades are highly likely, but, obviously, not promised or "leaked".

The feel of the -18 vis-a-vis the -8 seems to be something that owners of both like to point out - again, a nice plus for the -18.

You indicated that warbirds are a consideration and they can chew up channels quite quickly with flaps, retracts, canopy and/or airbrakes, etc. Take a look at the sequencer capabilities of the -18, read the excellent sequencer thread started by FreeChip, and you can see that there is room for growth; both you and the TX programming.

I used to own a DX-7, then a JR-12X, now a DX-18; the -18 is superior to the other two, IMHO.

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
You buy the best you can afford today to save money tomorrow if that makes sense to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugbitten View Post
It's not what you need, it's what you want in this hobby.

That said. The 8 felt better in my hands than the 7. The 18 even better.

Thanks everyone....great advice. I feel that the DX18 or DX18QQ would be my better long term radio...The DX8 would be great but I think within the next few years I would be looking for another TX.
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Feen View Post
<snip> The DX8 would be great but I think within the next few years I would be looking for another TX.
For some of us it was within a few months.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:33 PM
Registered User
RC_Feen's Avatar
Culpeper, VA
Joined Oct 2005
704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
For some of us it was within a few months.
Your killing me freechip......but the bottom line is we all know we are in this hobby because we love it....Someone from the outside could never rationalize what we spend on airframes, gear and radio equipment. If your going to do it...do it right. That usually goes for any hobby....
RC_Feen is offline Find More Posts by RC_Feen
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:16 AM
Registered User
struggleforlife's Avatar
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,862 Posts
Any news on the new DX18 yet (with audio telemetry, bigger screen and USB)?
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:20 AM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Any news on the new DX18 yet (with audio telemetry, bigger screen and USB)?
say what?
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:23 AM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,026 Posts
He's talking about the one without gimbals. You just think what you want it to do, like Firefox.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Spektrum DSM2 and the Nats - Question for Spektrum/JR users aeajr Sailplane Talk 25 May 29, 2012 03:14 PM
Sold Spektrum DX6 6-channel System with Spektrum AR6000 Receiver $50 shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Dec 20, 2011 05:12 PM
Sold Spektrum DX6 6-channel System with Spektrum AR6000 Receiver $50 shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Dec 14, 2011 07:30 PM
For Sale Spektrum & JR 2.4 Ghz DSM2 receivers for sale I have a sailplane sized Spektrum AR93 zaptherio Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Nov 15, 2011 05:14 PM
Sold SPEKTRUM DX6i DSMX with Spektrum Ni-cads and charger- like new condition shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Oct 19, 2011 04:59 AM