Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:09 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsallade View Post
Snip
I may just start starting/stopping my Telemetry this way in any case.
@Andy

This raises another related question if I may:

If one turns on the radio and/or changes to a new model with the throttle hold engaged (switch H forward) you get "yelled at" by the radio and it won't boot until you turn it off/flip it to the back. If one is using this switch to trigger the telemetry and/or timer, at what point after that will the radio recognize that the switch is off and thus start the timer/telemety? In other words, how long do I have to flip it forward again? Is it ok to do this at any point during the remaining "boot" sequence?

In playing around with this for the timer, it appears that if you don't flip it forward again the timer starts counting within a second or two after the boot is completed and that as long as you remember to flip it forward before that point things are fine. Obviously losing a second or two off of the timer if you are slow to flip it isn't a big deal. On the other hand, if the point with using that switch for the telemetry is to minimize the file fragments created by a switching method such as throttle stick position then I'd rather not create even one spurious fragment. Do the timer logic and telemetry logic start "thinking" at the same time?

I hope this question makes sense...

Edit: I should clarify that the radio only "yells" about the position of the throttle hold switch when using a heli model type (which maybe you could explain to me also, see my post just below freechips).
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Last edited by mejmea; Jan 04, 2013 at 11:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:13 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
Don't have the radio with me right now but why not change the warning switch position.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:01 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Don't have the radio with me right now but why not change the warning switch position.
freechip,

Not sure if that was in response to my question or not but if so I do not understand what you are saying. Is there a way to change whether or not the radio is happy or unhappy about switch positions during boot up? It is unhappy if the throttle hold is on or if the flight mode switch is not in the rearmost position. I should clarify, however, that these are true only for a heli model type, not for acro. (Which, now that I think about it, and it is consistent with my Dx6i, I don't understand why the radio would be unhappy about having throttle hold on even for a heli? Not wanting to be in "idle up" I get, but not wanting throttle hold on?)
Old Jan 02, 2013, 11:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
@ mejmea - Yes it was a response to you and for you.

Access the System Setup List, scroll down to Warnings. Select and change the Hold: alarm position from 1 to 0 or off completely.

Selecting 0 will cause the radio to alarm you if you DON'T have your Hold switch triggered.

Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:03 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
@ mejmea - Yes it was a response to you and for you.

Access the System Setup List, scroll down to Warnings. Select and change the Hold: alarm position from 1 to 0 or off completely.

Selecting 0 will cause the radio to alarm you if you DON'T have your Hold switch triggered.

Enjoy and Happy New Year.
Arrgghh, how did I not know that? Too many things to learn/remember, not enough storage space. As written on a T-shirt my father once owned, "In my next life I'm going to have more memory installed."

Thanks, and Happy New Year to you!

@Andy, I still am curious why the default for a heli is to alarm when the throttle hold is on? I'm sure there is a good/historical reason but don't understand what it is. Also, as a suggestion, perhaps adding an alarm option for throttle hold for acro (and even sailplane) could go on the list given the prevalence of electric models. I know there is already one for throttle position and airplanes don't use "idle up" like helis, but it would still be nice to have the option and because throttle sticks can get bumped accidentally. Thanks
Last edited by mejmea; Jan 03, 2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:04 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,776 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
The short answer is "no".

The program referenced by David allows viewing but I'm not sure that you can actually create, edit, and transfer. I believe the author of the program was recently (November-ish) trying to find someone else to take over future development because he was too busy to continue.

https://sites.google.com/site/txprofilemanager/
I was just playing around and did some editing on the computer with the Tx Profile Manager.

Took a look at the .spm file in wordpad after and it saved the editing.

Problem was when I went to load it back into the radio it gave a Telemetry Section error and would not load in. Line 17xx something.

I suppose you could do some copying and pasting to fix that error but kinda defeats the purpose though eh?

Wish I was a programmer. It looks like a nice start to the program but certainly not functional in its current state.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:18 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,232 Posts
Quote:
@Andy, I still am curious why the default for a heli is to alarm when the throttle hold is on? I'm sure there is a good/historical reason but don't understand what it is.
This was debated 2+ years ago too, I'm sure you can find info probably in the DX8 thread.

I'm not a heli guy. The folks who are, who specified the defaults, had their reasons that I'm sure are valid. I defer to their expertise.

I guess in one way you could say it worked -- it forced you to investigate your radio a little

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:31 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

I guess in one way you could say it worked -- it forced you to investigate your radio a little

Andy
LOL, very true. Even after owning it for several months I have yet to find the time to just sit and go through everything menu by menu (and even if I do find the time I won't retain it until I actually use it, I'm just not a good memorizer). Thank the Lord for forums, helpful, patient people, and JITL (Just In Time Learning)
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:49 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,594 Posts
If I remember correctly it had to do with making sure you toggle it to hold after the radio was powered on and not taking for granted it's already on or something like that. Don't quote me on that one.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:55 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:
If I remember correctly it had to do with making sure you toggle it to hold after the radio was powered on and not taking for granted it's already on or something like that. Don't quote me on that one.
That make sense and certainly that's how my radios have been trying to train me to this point (Pavlov's dog, right?). Even if I leave it at the default I realized that I get around the "problem" that I was concerned about (the timer or telemetry starting because I forgot to flip the switch to hold) because I use the preflight checklist. Nothing starts until you are done with that and I also have "Throttle hold on" in each of my checklists.

Thanks for the insight though, I'll search, I'm just curious about the history now.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:47 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:49 PM
jrb
Edina, MN, USA
Joined Oct 1999
11,445 Posts
Quote:

The short answer is "no".

The program referenced by David allows viewing but I'm not sure that you can actually create, edit, and transfer. I believe the author of the program was recently (November-ish) trying to find someone else to take over future development because he was too busy to continue.

https://sites.google.com/site/txprofilemanager/

Doesn't seem to run on my XP based notebook?
jrb is offline Find More Posts by jrb
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:51 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
683 Posts
Quote:

Thanks; doesn't seem to run on my XP based notebook?
Hmmmm, I've only ever tried it on my Windows 7 laptop so I don't know, although it would surprise me if it doesn't work on XP. I have an XP machine at home I can try it on tonight.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 01:55 PM
Old, tired, and abused.
Joined Jun 2011
2,523 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrb View Post
Doesn't seem to run on my XP based notebook?
time to upgrade
PropsnWings is offline Find More Posts by PropsnWings
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:32 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Oct 2001
80 Posts
If I use a dx18 with a JR 921 receiver will I be able to get 2048 resolution on elev, rudder, aileron?

Did some searching and just couldn't figure out if statements like "2048 resolution with 12 channel receivers" meant you wouldn't get it with 9 channel receivers on at least some of the channels.

Thanks,
Joe.
delateurj is offline Find More Posts by delateurj