HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,445 Posts
Andy,

I'd like to set up dual rates like this:

1. One switch if 1, everything is on high rates no matter the position of the other three switches.
2. The same switch, if on 0, then the other three 3-position switches select the rate (high/medium/low).

Is this something that can be done with flight modes? Or how would I go about doing this.

My issue is I fly 3D airplanes, and need to quickly get back into high rates if I get myself in trouble, akin to having a throttle kill switch, except this will be my over-ride dual rates to high rates switch.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 03:34 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,892 Posts
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Dec 03, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,614 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Andy,

I'd like to set up dual rates like this:

1. One switch if 1, everything is on high rates no matter the position of the other three switches.
2. The same switch, if on 0, then the other three 3-position switches select the rate (high/medium/low).

Is this something that can be done with flight modes? Or how would I go about doing this.

My issue is I fly 3D airplanes, and need to quickly get back into high rates if I get myself in trouble, akin to having a throttle kill switch, except this will be my over-ride dual rates to high rates switch.

That's a perfect application for the flight modes, yes.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,202 Posts
Okay I guess I'm too stupid to figure this out, been tinkering with the radio for an hour now and can't come up with a solution......

I'm using Flight Modes for triple rate control deflections; what I call "low", "high" and "3D" or the max control deflections I want to see from the model. I normally fly in the "high" and drop down to "low" for snaps, spins and such as I have to do the stick banging or my timing is way off if trying to do a partial deflection.

What I want to be able to do is to crank up the rudder deflection at either of the first two modes for things such as stall turns. I've played with a rudder/rudder mix and activated another Flight Mode but it's just not working.

Anybody got any ideas????
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:33 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,445 Posts
Thanks man, I'll program it up.

Do you know if there is anything like this on the DX8? I don't want to use my DX18 on the sim.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:38 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,614 Posts
You could put rudder on a different switch, no?
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,202 Posts
Well I want to be able to increase the rudder throw when needed via a switch but I don't want it running that high a deflection or having to mess around with it by itself as well as the other two axis between the "low" and "high" modes e.g. you 'gotta flip one switch for aileron/elevator and a different switch for rudder.

This is a 2M pattern ship and it really needs more rudder than normally used to do the stall turns and the other day, one of the guys was really frustrated with it as he couldn't make the turn off the runway to the taxiway in the mode he was flying. These guys use 18MHz radios and evidently you can use the dual rates on idividual controls inside of a "Condition" which is what Futaba calls "Flight Modes" and that's how they set theirs up for that higher rudder deflection when needed.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:39 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Well I want to be able to increase the rudder throw when needed via a switch but I don't want it running that high a deflection or having to mess around with it by itself as well as the other two axis between the "low" and "high" modes e.g. you 'gotta flip one switch for aileron/elevator and a different switch for rudder.

This is a 2M pattern ship and it really needs more rudder than normally used to do the stall turns and the other day, one of the guys was really frustrated with it as he couldn't make the turn off the runway to the taxiway in the mode he was flying. These guys use 18MHz radios and evidently you can use the dual rates on idividual controls inside of a "Condition" which is what Futaba calls "Flight Modes" and that's how they set theirs up for that higher rudder deflection when needed.
So you want just one switch for all your global rates, but you want to override the global rates on the rudder with a separate switch while keeping the global rates selected by the flight modes?

There has got to be a way to do this. I just don't have the radio in front of me.
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:41 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,418 Posts
What if you use a rudder to rudder mix and map it to a switch instead of a flight mode?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirzeppu View Post
What if you use a rudder to rudder mix and map it to a switch instead of a flight mode?
That was my initial thought but I cannot get the deflections I want for some reason. I've screwed around with the percentage settings 'till I'm 'bout blue in the face and all I can get is an increased deflection in one direction and less in the other direction, or it seems to quit deflecting all together.

Yeah I'm wanting to overide the Flight Mode setting for the rudder with a switch. Considering all the things this radio will do, it seems like a simple enough proposition but I'm having a brain freeze or something 'cause I sure can't make it do what I want..... lol
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,418 Posts
When you get increased deflection in one direction, have you tried going positive or negative on the opposite percentage? The reason I ask, I had to use this technique to limit travel when a certain mix was active on a dx8...it worked great once I fiddled with the negative and positive percentages on the mix screen.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,614 Posts
A couple other ways to skin the cat:

1) Make one of your Flight Mode switches to be the rudder.

2) Make the rudder>rudder mix to be switched by the rudder (you move lots of stick and suddenly you have lots more).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
A couple other ways to skin the cat:

1) Make one of your Flight Mode switches to be the rudder.

2) Make the rudder>rudder mix to be switched by the rudder (you move lots of stick and suddenly you have lots more).

Andy
Well the second one is out since I "bang" the sticks on snaps and a high rate rudder would just bury the thing.

I've tried activating a fourth Flight Mode on a second switch with the only difference being a higher rudder deflection, can't remember exactly why that didn't work.... this 'gettin old is just the pits.... lol

Closest I've gotten is a rudder/rudder mix with both percentages the same and positive. Highlight the "curve" 1 and 2 and it kicks the the rudder up to where it deflects on the "3D" rate. Problem is that if I select that 3D rate and hit that switch it adds the 43% to the 3D rate which way over drives the thing. I'm wondering if setting the absolute travel would fix that or if there is a better way with the Flight Mode?

I think I need a drink..... lol
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,614 Posts
Use the Combo Switch then. You tell it what FM to allow it and what rudder position activates it.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:31 AM
Joined Nov 2005
13 Posts
Hello Andy,
I'm looking for the dx18 in mode 1
Manual say you have to send the tx to service center for modification ?

This is NOT possible to do the change mode2. To mode1. Myself ?

If you have instructions or pictures this Will be Nice

Thanks

Michel
chraptor is offline Find More Posts by chraptor