7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:25 AM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Firmware and scratch building...a jack of all trades.

Good job though on both counts.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Not "all" trades - they don't let me anywhere near Marketing!

Andy
GREAT
egicar is online now Find More Posts by egicar
Old Nov 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
Austin TX
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I finally get to use a fun DX18 feature in one of my models!

The Sequencer in the DX18 was one of the more fun items to create, not only for the display challenge (getting it intuitive and fitting stuff on it) but also because the code that drives it was so very straightforward and clean. ("Clean code" is fun for us geeks to write).

Anyway, I'm working on a build thread in another area, and today I got to use the sequencer in a new model. It's pretty slick. As a user of the feature, I really impressed myself with how well it works.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post23236730

Now if you'll forgive me, I have to get my shoulder fixed. I think I put it out of joint patting myself on the back

Andy
Andy, since you've mastered the sequencer feature on the DX18 and got your shoulder back in joint, would you care to share how you did it. I'm having trouble getting it done. I'm using the gear channel and aux 4 for the doors.
bcovish is offline Find More Posts by bcovish
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:04 AM
Austin TX
Joined Jun 2008
141 Posts
Never mind, I finally stumbled through it. Pretty cool. Simple now.
Now I have a dislocated shoulder from patting myself on the back
I think the most frustrating part was having to go back and forth to look at the monitor to see what was going on. Finally figured out that if I put a rx with two servos and a battery plugged into it on the work bench, I could watch the servos to see what was happening as I setup the sequencer.
bcovish is offline Find More Posts by bcovish
Last edited by bcovish; Nov 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:14 AM
penrith
Joined May 2010
124 Posts
Hi, iam just in the hunt for a new radio, i use a dx7 at the moment but iam putting a turbine togeather and need more channels am i better of with a DX18 or futaba 10 cap ???
jbreptile is online now Find More Posts by jbreptile
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:18 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,422 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreptile View Post
Hi, iam just in the hunt for a new radio, i use a dx7 at the moment but iam putting a turbine togeather and need more channels am i better of with a DX18 or futaba 10 cap ???
That sounds like a topic for a new thread debating the virtues of Spek vs Futaba where this thread is for discussion of features and sharing tips specifically about the DX18.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:55 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,168 Posts
Quote:
Fuh, Tah, Bah? We don need no stinkin' Fuh, Tah, Bah!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:17 AM
Spads, Balsa & Foam
United States, IA, Newton
Joined Oct 2012
36 Posts
Quote:
LOL Yea, what kind of answer do you think you are going to get posting a question like that in a DX18 thread? Everyone here is a fan of or has already decided to get a DX18. I'm not going to tell you my opinion because you obviously already know it and because of the 200+ pages in this thread talking about all the great features of this radio.

Seriously if you are debating on which one to get this is not the place to do it. I'd suggest starting another thread in a neutral location or going down to the local hobbies shop and compare them side by side or restate you question to something like "Why should I get a DX18 for my next radio?" or all of the above. Happy Hunting.
Varmit is offline Find More Posts by Varmit
Old Nov 13, 2012, 08:00 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,142 Posts
Quote:
Even if this question were posted in it's own thread, the best suggestion would be to visit your LHS, and RC Trade Show, your local RC club flying site, and get your hands on both radios to compare features and see how it feels.

In many cases, it is more convenient to see what your peers use locally, since you can get first hand info on how to setup and program the radio.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:07 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,470 Posts
Quote:
The DX18 is awesome.You definitely need to get one.It will pretty much do everything except fly for you.Dont even think about another radio.I love mine.
Everyone I know that has one loves it.The price cant be beat.

You asked.Did you really expect that someone in the DX18 thread would advise you to get a Futaba? Or are you trying to start a fight? Again.

Realistically they are both good radios.Like was suggested above you really need to put them both in your hands and feel them for yourself.Examine the features and decide for yourself what is going to work best for your situation.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:55 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,440 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
You asked.Did you really expect that someone in the DX18 thread would advise you to get a Futaba? Or are you trying to start a fight? Again.

Not nice.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:30 AM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
You can obviously get a good overview the Dx18's capabilities by perusing this thread. Perhaps if you can be specific about what types of features/capabilities you anticipate needing someone can comment specifically about how the Dx18 does/doesn't support them or perhaps more correctly, how easily or not easily. I'm at the low end of the learning curve but my observation is that the Dx18 is adaptable enough to cover most needs and for those where there isn't perhaps a direct solution, its programmability allows one to often find a different way to accomplish something similar. Obviously that may or may not be "good enough" depending on the need.

One strong point for the Dx18 is Andy's active participation here as well as Horizon's generally strong reputation for customer support. I can't speak as to how those compare to other brands but that may be a factor to consider in your decision. Depending on what brand you are currently using you can use the above, along with the suggestions provided by others, to decide whether or not making a change makes sense from a cost, learning, useability and long term need perspective.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:33 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Buy a DX18 (or the Futaba) from a place with a really liberal return policy (i.e. Amazon - 30 days). Get it in your hands and play with it. If you don't like it? Return it. At most, you might be out a few bucks for shipping.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:34 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Not nice.
I wasnt trying to be mean.The way these brand comparison questions generally end up Im just being realistic.I think the better definition of my statement would be "politically incorrect".I can live with that on my conscience.

I did however go on to give the best possible advise.Did I not?
Gimme a break.Ive been dealing with Marketing for the last week.Trying to explain why Im refusing to use the DX5e they gave me to fly the blimp.Now I got them arguing amongst themselves.Half agree with me and half dont.
All because I refuse to be "politically correct".
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,832 Posts
DX5e was good enough to lock Peter's bedroom door.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip