HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:26 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Well, we'll see when "the" DX18 comes back and if there's a bill or not.
CR,

I got an e-mail from Service this morning. One of our Service Dept guys happened upon this thread, and they were concerned because you said your radio has been here for several weeks. They checked and couldnít find a DX18 here more than a week, and they havenít done any DX18 gimbal repairs since the beginning of September (and that was one where the owner admitted he broke them).

Are you sure your buddy sent your radio in? See if you can get a tracking number from him, because we are sure we donít have your radio here yet.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:40 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Geneva
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Did you want the limitation to be adjustable or just a fix limit?
It's not pretty at my first attempt but it does work.

MIX#
RLV > THR
Rate: -25% 0%
Offset: 0%
Trim: Inh
Switch: Combo SW

Combo menu
Switch 1: Thr.Stick
Tick position 0
Relation: AND
Switch 2: R Lever
Tick position 0,1

What this should do is once throttle stick reaches certain High position you will then be able to move the Right Lever and reduce the throttle up to the set limit of the mix being 25% resulting when throttle stick is in full throttle position and Right lever in full position a MAX throttle position of 75% instead of 100% giving you basic throttle limit.
For my own edification I programmed this into a blank model - a learning opportunity. As FC said, the way it works currently is that when you run the throttle up to 100% you can then bring it back down to 75% by pushing the right lever up. The actual reduction takes place in the upper 1/2 of lever travel.

It struck me that it might be somewhat more intuitive if moving the lever up caused the throttle to increase rather than decrease (i.e. with the lever down the throttle would be at 75% and then as you move it up the throttle would increase to 100%). My first instinct was that I should just reverse the Aux5 channel (RLvr) and then I might perhaps have to change the tick positions also but that doesn't work and, in fact, reversing the channel doesn't change a thing about how the mix works because the tick positions don't also reverse. i.e. tick position 0 is still up, 1 is in the middle, and 2 is down.

I can make it behave the way I want if I set the throttle travel to 75% on the servo screen and then change the mix to +34% rather than -25% but I'm curious if there is another way to do it that I'm missing?. Is the tick positions not reversing a bug or is that as intended?
mejmea is online now Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:41 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
I sent a DX8 in for a gimble repair sometime in September timeframe, I got it back very quick. Please do not confuse crvnation with me.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:56 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,865 Posts
They were only looking at DX18's, not any other Spektrum or JR radio.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:56 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,392 Posts
(breaths a sigh of relief)

7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:04 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,504 Posts
@ mejmea - The tick position are actual Stick Switches. The actual place where one tick is switch to another tick can be set in the Analog Switch menu. If one wants to reverse the 0,1 & 2 position one would do it from the Analog Switch Menu.

Reversing Channel 5 does really do anything because the mix wasn't from AUX5 but from the Lever itself.

If you wanted to use the mixing I provided but have it engage with the lever going down instead of up you could easily change this from the Analog Switch Menu.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:41 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,087 Posts
Wouldn't the throttle limiting be easier using flight modes. You could have 3 throttle limits on 1 switch. Just set up a different throttle curve for each position.
dfrazier is offline Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:06 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
Quote:
@ mejmea - The tick position are actual Stick Switches. The actual place where one tick is switch to another tick can be set in the Analog Switch menu. If one wants to reverse the 0,1 & 2 position one would do it from the Analog Switch Menu.

Reversing Channel 5 does really do anything because the mix wasn't from AUX5 but from the Lever itself.

If you wanted to use the mixing I provided but have it engage with the lever going down instead of up you could easily change this from the Analog Switch Menu.
I knew intuitively there was a difference in the logical function of reversing the channel and the physical function of the switch position but wasn't sure where to go after that so now I have learned something new (again ) Thanks.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:10 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrazier View Post
Wouldn't the throttle limiting be easier using flight modes. You could have 3 throttle limits on 1 switch. Just set up a different throttle curve for each position.
That sounds reasonable also but the method FC posted would seem to give you more incremental (vs.discrete) control of the max throttle point. Since none of us know how this might really be used in the mind of those who originally asked the question it's hard to say which might be more suitable I guess. It's all a thought experiment at this point so it's good to hear different ideas.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
Quote:

@Freechip

I tried as suggested but with no luck so I am feeling pretty dense. Sorry if I'm being a pest about something that I'm not actually using but it's a learning tool for me. If you are tired of it feel free to say so....

I left the mix as you originally had it. I then went to the analog switch screen.

Originally it showed:
R Lever:
Pos 0-1: 75%
Pos:1-2: -75%

This corresponded to the right lever being in Pos 0 when up, Pos 1 when in the middle and Pos 2 when down with the actual switchpoints halfway between each position.

I changed this to:
R Lever:
Pos 0-1: -75%
Pos:1-2: 75%

So now the right lever is reversed and is in Pos 2 when up, Pos 1 when in the middle and Pos 0 when down. I am thinking this should work with the original mix because when the Rlvr is down (POS 0-1) and the throttle lever is up (Pos 0) it should mix in -25% throttle and as I raise the R lever it should reduce the mix as I move towards Pos 2/up. It is not working that way however.

With throttle physically at 100% and the Rlvr down, the mix shows as "active" but the monitor shows 100% THR rather than 75%. As I raise the Rlever, THR starts to drop as I go past the middle (like it did with your original settings), goes down to about 82% as you approach the upper (1-2) switchpoint, and then as you pass the switchpoint THR jumps back up to 100%.

My brain hurts, perhaps I'll have an epiphany over night!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:29 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,504 Posts
See thats what happens when you assume things and don't have the radio in front of you when you post. MY BAD.

To get the same results as my original post BUT with the Right Lever Down try this and let me know.

Using the same mixing, change the Rate from Rate: -25% 0% to Rate: 0% 25% (+)

Then in the Combo Sw section change the R Lever tick position from Tick position 0,1 to Tick position 1,2.

This is the same original mix with working result BUT now using the right lever going DOWN.

PS: Don't worry about what I think, I like doing this. It also helps me learn more about my own radio. If you have any more questions you can always PM me.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 27, 2012, 07:21 AM
Always trying to learn
Joined Feb 2011
647 Posts
Quote:
See thats what happens when you assume things and don't have the radio in front of you when you post. MY BAD.

To get the same results as my original post BUT with the Right Lever Down try this and let me know.

Using the same mixing, change the Rate from Rate: -25% 0% to Rate: 0% 25% (+)

Then in the Combo Sw section change the R Lever tick position from Tick position 0,1 to Tick position 1,2.

This is the same original mix with working result BUT now using the right lever going DOWN.

PS: Don't worry about what I think, I like doing this. It also helps me learn more about my own radio. If you have any more questions you can always PM me.

That works! You can get the same result also if you swap the values in the analog switch screen and use tick positions 0,1 so the key thing is the change from -25%,0 to 0, 25% in the mixing. I will pm you later with some additional questions to hopefully help shore up my fundamental knowledge of mixing. Thank you.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:22 PM
Malaysia, Perak, Taiping
Joined Jan 2012
241 Posts
delete wrong place

sorry
keris is offline Find More Posts by keris
Last edited by keris; Oct 27, 2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: wrong place
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:27 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,464 Posts
Okay, I know what the guys do with the throttle limiter. They use it to slowly rev the throttle of nitro helis up. I found that you can rev up from hold with a delay, but the delay (maximum 5s) seems a little bit too low. Maybe the delay from Hold to other curves can be longer (maybe max. 30s), could be also interesting for scale models.
Also, a mixer can be used to do this.
But a dedicated function would be nice. For the sales paper shootout
Till now I found nothing that could not be done (for me).
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Oct 27, 2012, 12:55 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,865 Posts
Thanks. That request has also been in the database for a while.

Andy
Site Sponsor