HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:19 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile View Post
I'm having problem (a bug). If i switch on the receiver before i finished the checklist in the dx18 ... The whole screen becomes blank and all screeninfo seems to be displayed in the upper few lines of the screen (mixed up).

My guess:
It wants to popup the telemetry screen but can't because the checklist isn't finished. The reason why it wants to show the telemetryscreen is that i have a speedsensor installed which is set on minimum speed alarm.

I can make a movie if it's not clear what i mean?

Grtz,
Emile
Emile,

I'm just curious why you have a low airspeed alarm set? Do you have an aircraft that is very sensitive/abrupt in stalling and so just want to stay well away from that point?

Thanks
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:28 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
When the DX8 came out every one knows it had some issues. One of the early ones, many had reported it (having it). But myself I had not experienceed it because my setups at that time did not have any of the events/steps/scenario to get the issue to surface.

But I was fixed on finding it and when I did it bugged me knowing mine had it of course when everything was right to have it.

I wondered why I went looking for it when before I was very happy with it for me not having any issues what so ever but now I knew something was up.
In the end I went looking for something that for me was not important and did not affect me for what, nothing at all.

A video is great at explaining an issue one might have but when the issue at hand is reproduced by others and a temp solution is provided, looking for it won't do you any good other then to just possibly fustrate you even more considering you maybe already fustrated from it being away for service.

Anyways I am done on that subject with you. Good luck.
PS: When I sent my DX8 for service to HH numerous times (3 - 4) I always ended getting it back before the website was updated. Maybe thats changed now but service was always pretty good. One of those time it was gone for almost a month but turns out 3 weeks were lost just in shipping so turn around was pretty darn quick.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:29 PM
What tree??.......Doh!!
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Aug 2007
766 Posts
I debated on picking up a DX18 vs the latest 12X 2.4 blah blah blah.. Although there's a lot of "nosie" in this thread and the fact that I've been a diehard JR loyalist (since I dunno, 1993? JR-756,R1,Max4, 347,8103), the fact that Andy has been responsive pushed me over the fence.

Thanks Andy! For taking my $800!! My 8103 was spektrum powered (if you will) so I hope I'll be just as happy if not happier with DX18 (that arrived last night) than I've been with my JR/Spek hybrid that has done well for me for quite some time now.

~Cheers,

Neil
Smokin_Joes is online now Find More Posts by Smokin_Joes
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:38 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,270 Posts
You're welcome, Joe. And THANK YOU!

CR - PM me your ticket number and I'll look it up for you, or just your customer number. Maybe I can help.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

CR - PM me your ticket number and I'll look it up for you, or just your customer number. Maybe I can help.

Andy
Thanks, but no thanks. I'll go through product support myself. I can check the status update myself on-line. Like I said, I'll just call next week. I'm not in that big of a rush because my DX8 is working fine and I do actually appreciate that product working correctly. It's been a great radio so far. I liked it so much that I bought the DX18 with the possible intention of selling the DX8 to a fellow club member. Not so sure about that now as I may just keep the DX8 and sell the DX18 if it proves to be problematic again. It will take a long vetting process before I trust it.

Besides, I thought I was on your ignore list, Andy. Don't need you mucking up my service and/or future warranty support because of disagreements we've had here. Not saying you'd do that, but I don't even want the potential.
crvnation is offline Find More Posts by crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:53 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
But I was fixed on finding it and when I did it bugged me knowing mine had it of course when everything was right to have it.

I wondered why I went looking for it when before I was very happy with it for me not having any issues what so ever but now I knew something was up.
In the end I went looking for something that for me was not important and did not affect me for what, nothing at all.
Because there's a thing called the "one year warranty". One year goes by pretty quickly and there's no saying that this wouldn't affect someone (you are not everyone else) in the future when/if they pick up a different aircraft or R/C discipline that might require use of the features causing the issue, bug, etc. I'd prefer to have it right from the start.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:57 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crvnation View Post
Besides, I thought I was on your ignore list, Andy.
You are, but as is my policy every now and then I check your posts to see if there is something legitimate where you may need help or something.

Quote:
Don't need you mucking up my service and/or future warranty support because of disagreements we've had here. Not saying you'd do that, but I don't even want the potential.
We don't act that childishly. I'm just trying to help. You don't want help, that's fine, you know how to use the tools.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:03 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
428 Posts
Quote:
You are, but as is my policy every now and then I check your posts to see if there is something legitimate where you may need help or something.

We don't act that childishly. I'm just trying to help. You don't want help, that's fine, you know how to use the tools.

Andy
Thanks. I'll check on it next week. Hopefully, like freechip said, it will just magically show up ahead of the on-line status.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Venray
Joined Mar 2003
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
In the mean time you should INH modulation during Pre-Flight. This will cause the radio to only transmit once the check list is complete and both check list and telemetry won't interfere with each other.
Thanks this is a good containment, that explains why i didn't notice this problem before on my other jets! Now the low speed alarm comes after the Preflight check and can be reset with clear button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejmea View Post
I'm just curious why you have a low airspeed alarm set? Do you have an aircraft that is very sensitive/abrupt in stalling and so just want to stay well away from that point?
I fly with electra & meanwhile also turbine jets and because during landing you have to make wide approaches it is sometimes difficult to see that the plane is coming in near stallspeed. It's just one of the great features of this transmitter, if i fly to slow the transmitter starts to vibrate and i increase the throttle a bit.

Recently i also used the balancer en sequencer of the DX18, which really is a very nice feature.

I used the balancer to create equal flap movements on my glider, otherwise i had to solve it mechanically (hard way).

I used the sequencer function of this radio to put air on the retracts (gear up) and after 10 seconds i let the sequencer release the air again, but the retracts remain in UP position. Doing this i prevent any air from leaking during flight. For gear down i programmed it so that i always keep pressure on the retracts.

Next flight i'm going to test the GPS and jetcat telemetry addon which i just bought on ebay.

Grtz,
Emile
Emile is offline Find More Posts by Emile
Old Oct 25, 2012, 02:52 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
GPS is sick, seing your flight on MAP it great. Spotter can see it live over iDevice while you can watch it later from SD logging.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:39 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,692 Posts
Is there a way to set a throttle limiter on the DX18 ? Or is it on the wishlist ? A guy at rc-heli asked me to ask
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:47 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,618 Posts
A mechanical limiter? With a couple of members recently posting about this limiter and not wanting it I am surprised someone is asking for one.

If by programming you mean then there are a couple of ways this could be done. Travel, curve....
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:00 PM
Always trying to learn
United States, IL, Batavia
Joined Feb 2011
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Is there a way to set a throttle limiter on the DX18 ? Or is it on the wishlist ? A guy at rc-heli asked me to ask
Do you mean a rev limiter so you don't over speed the engine/head when you unload the blades quickly? If so,I imagine that the best you can do is have an alarm go off if you have telemetry and a rpm sensor but I don't know that you can somehow then mix the alarm back into the throttle channel (I haven't looked but that would be pretty amazing to me).

Spektrum does make a couple 7 channel heli receivers that have rev limiters built in (AR7100R and AR 7110R I think) for this purpose.
mejmea is offline Find More Posts by mejmea
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:17 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,692 Posts
He wants to limit the maximum throttle output with a slider/pot. So you cannot have a throttle value above.

Also, is there a way to change the picture of the model ? Many guys are flying multicopters and having a plane shown on the display is a little bit disappointing....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:28 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,747 Posts
Quote:

Andy
sorry but i had to lol @ this. Im sure skidder87, sertav,sviking,kokopelli,Mhunter,hellybelly, ect.. would be terrified his info could be leaked.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion