SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
A funny thing happen me today at the field. I was flying my heli and on it's eight pack when all of a sudden my radio started vibrating and sounding off with the alarm. I couldn't believe it, I was at 6.4 volts. I immediately landed and pack everything up. When I started flying this morning it was at 7.1 volts. I am surprised how quickly the voltage dropped. Off course, I lost track of time because I was having too much fun. I have to say that is a nice feature on the radio to let me know that my battery was low. This he second time I have charged it since I got the radio.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:58 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,748 Posts
Charge it until the blue light goes out and the voltage will be up over 8.1V.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:00 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Charge it until the blue light goes out and the voltage will be up over 8.1V.

Andy
Will do.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:20 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,303 Posts
Some time ago I post a tip for DX18 owners and having read what you just experience I guess I will share it again.

For me it was just having fun programming and stuff when all of a sudden the alarm went off and that I was with a new DX18 to play with and the battery was dead and needed to be recharged. Then it clicked.

Change the alarm setting to a higher value so that the next time it triggers on me I still have a few moment to finish my programming or in your case get a flight or two in.

I got mine set for 7.4 being that this is sort of the middle right? 6.4v lowest 8.4v higher so why not 7.4v for a PRE WARNING alarm sort of speak.

Hey maybe I should request this for possible future feature.

Andy can I request if not already done and second battery alarm. I could then set one for 6.4 being the lowest but at the same time set the another just for a reminder that it's coming up.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:34 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,748 Posts
Sure, you can request anything, but ...

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:51 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,303 Posts
Yep I know...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:45 PM
1 OM KAR, SATNAAM
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
319 Posts
Setup Question

I am trying to setup my F16 with two Aileron servo's and two elevator servos.
What I am trying to do is.
1) When Elevator go up I want aileron to go up.
2) When Elevator go down the aileron go down.
3) when I apply right Aileron I want the right elevator to go up and the left to go down. Vise verse.

Thanks in advance.
satnaam
1satnaam is online now Find More Posts by 1satnaam
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:27 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,303 Posts
Wing Type = Dual Aileron
Tail Type = Dual Elevator

Then create your two mixes for Aileron to Elevator and Elevator to Aileron.
These mixes provided are based on a fresh blank model so you may need to play with +/- of the mixing value in order to get the proper direction for the mixes.

Mix Elevator to LAL and Mix AIL to LEL.
When mixing to a Dual surface the radio has reverse mixing or back mixing. What this does is when mixed to one side of a dual control surface the radio moves the channels one way but when mixed to the other side it moves them differently.
For your example mixing Elevator stick to LAL on a blank model causes the Ailerons toboth move UP/DN like elevators but if you mix to RAL they would then move like ailerons. Same applies to the other mix you need, mixing to LEL cause the elevators to move like ailerons like you want but if you would mix to REL they would move like elevators.

select switches for the mixes and then fine tune with % values.

MIX 1
N ELE > LAL
25% 25%
Switch: Switch B (FMode) Highlight where you want mix to be active. or use any switch or combination of switches you want.

MIX 2
N AIL > LEL
25% 25%
Switch: Switch B (FMode) Highlight where you want mix to be active. or use any switch or combination of switches you want.

Should be fairly simple and easy to figure out based on what I have provided you.
Start with proper Wing & Tail Type. Make sure control surfaces move properly. Now create one mix at a time and once working move on to the next one. PM me or post back here if you need any more info.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:00 PM
Singapore (Asia)
Joined Oct 2004
412 Posts
DX18 Telemetry query

Hi,

I just got the TM1000, GPS module and STI for Iphone.
This is mount on my PCM Erwin X Ultralight glider.

Questions :
- How do I get the STI to voice playback altitude, airspeed ( etc... ) that is coming from the GPS module ?

Jonathan
jyzoom is offline Find More Posts by jyzoom
Last edited by jyzoom; Sep 25, 2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: additional info
Old Sep 25, 2012, 12:22 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,303 Posts
In its current app version the STI does not yet support GPS model.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:47 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Kilmacolm
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
I am setting up my old CARF Lightning on my new DX18 with a 12020 Rx.
I configured it for two servos on aileron, two on flap and two on elevator, and they all waggle correctly.
I have set switch B to give 3 flight modes: Ground, TOGAL, and Cruise
(TOGAL = takeoff, go-around, land). I have never used Flight Modes before so this is new ground.

Question 1
I would like to configure so that the Left Slider lever would give me small adjustable increments in flap deflection, in addition to the 3 positions set by switch D. When flaps are already at Land setting this should give an airbrake effect to adjust the approach angle.
How do I do it?
Question 2
Can I make the above control (and flaps generally) inoperative in Cruise mode?

Question 3
Can I make the retract switch (A) inoperable in Ground mode? So that I can't repeat previous mistakes, dumping the model on its belly by mistake while starting or lifting the tranny.
aeronut1950 is offline Find More Posts by aeronut1950
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:01 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,303 Posts
The following steps are based on a fresh model type so you may need to double check the setting for proper use but these steps will surely point you in the right direction. This is using the next available channel for gear/retracts so you will need to connect the gear/retract servo in AUX3.
-System Setup
-Aircraft Type
-Wing : 2 Ail 2 Flaps / Tail: Dual Elev
Because of this aircraft Type selection the radio will re-assign channel and so you need to access the following and make changes.
-Channel Assign
-Scroll to Next
-Scroll to AUX3 and change it to AUX3: INH
Reason for this change is so the Knob does not change or control your gear/retracts.
Now you need to access the Function List in order to create the proper mixing for your dual switch controlled gear/retracts.
-Function List
-Mixing
-P-Mix 1
ON > AX3
Rate: -100% 0%
Offset: 0%
Trim: Inh
Switch: On
This mix will ensure that the AUX3 channel where your gear/retract is connected is position at one end of travel and NOT in the middle.
-Function List
-Mixing
-P-Mix 2
ON > AX3
Rate: 100% 0%
Offset: -100%
Trim: Inh
Switch: Combo Sw.
Once you select Combo a new screen will appear where you will make your switch selection so that you will not accidently trigger the gear switch and belly the aircraft. The gear will only retract once you have select FM1,FM2 or (TOGAL and or CRUISE).
Switch 1: Switch A (gear)
Highlight position 1 from 0/1
Relation : AND
Switch 2: Switch B
Highlight position 1 & 2 from 0/1/2
You show now see the Status: Inhibit change to Active when BOTH Gear switch and FMode switch are position right.

Reminder that these are based on a blank model and may require changes to +/- mixing values based on your actual setup.
Last edited by freechip; Sep 25, 2012 at 05:17 PM. Reason: in progress
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:04 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,748 Posts
1) I would use a mix of LLv > RFL and set the appropriate offsets and values as desired. The switch would only enable it in the FM's you want.

2) Yes, FC's instructions look to be good.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:58 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Kilmacolm
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
that is great guys. Many thanks, I will give it a try in the morning.
just one thing, do I have to put retracts on AUX3?
I have already plugged in and configured NWS on AUX3, and I put retracts on AUX6 (X+1), so would all the above work on AUX6 instead of AUX3?
aeronut1950 is offline Find More Posts by aeronut1950
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:04 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,303 Posts
Yes of course - Disregard
-Channel Assign
-Scroll to Next
-Scroll to AUX3 and change it to AUX3: INH

And simply replace AX3 in the mixing instruction with X+1 in both mixes.

Like I said originaly, these steps were provided based on BLANK model using next available free channel. You did not mention NWS in your original post
What is cool about using NWS with the DX18 and all of it's mixing capabilities is the ability to create a throttle sensitive NWS. More throttle applied LESS NWS is active.
Last edited by freechip; Sep 25, 2012 at 06:09 PM.