HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,199 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
In just a flash, all at the same time, I was able to input full right aileron, full throttle, and with my primary F-Mode switch being closest to my index finger of throttle hand I just pushed it full "away" from me (POS-0) (flaps full up) and got out of a sticky situation that may have turned bad if I were fumbling around to find center position (POS-1) or flicking around with two switches.

It was a real panic situation since it was not actually very windy and the gust came out of nowhere.
This is why I have been telling people to "keep it simple" - skip the fancy flight mode stuff. A "panic" position at one end of the switch where you can always fly is SUPER important, and you just experienced why.

On a gusty day, no flap might be the better option anyway.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:50 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
This is why I have been telling people to "keep it simple" - skip the fancy flight mode stuff. A "panic" position at one end of the switch where you can always fly is SUPER important, and you just experienced why.

On a gusty day, no flap might be the better option anyway.

Andy

Quote:
....It was a real panic situation since it was not actually very windy and the gust came out of nowhere.
That's what made it a true sphincter clencher.

I am just glad I have it set up in the convention I am used to. Even if I had set up some other "panic" button it may not have worked. I did what I did without even thinking.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,570 Posts
Quote:
... If you already have the Rx paired in the mode that you want, will it make any difference to the Rx which method you use if you do the TM afterwords?
What I posted is only when you use the PUSH button to bind BOTH the TM unit and RX when they are connected together.

The thing is that the PUSH button is to simulate the bind plug, the original discussion was based of the fact that receivers with PRESET failsafe required two different binding methods with one of them removing the bind plug prior to completion.

This started when I ask when type of failsafe were you getting since we were just pushing the button at the start of the process.

My Findings are that you get 2 different bind modes with the push button.

Pushing it once with a PRESET Failsafe receiver will infact give you preset failsafe mode.
Holding the button during enitre process gives you normal failsafe just as if you would leave the bind plug inserted.

At the time of original discussion, Andy's position was it made no difference and pushing the button was like leaving the BIND PLUG.

I say differently
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 22, 2012, 11:22 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,514 Posts
when I set up new mixes, I practice on my sim for a bit to get the switching more second nature...at least that is what I did on the DX8
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 23, 2012, 12:50 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Issue with throttle cut and flickering display.

've been using the throttle cut on my DX8 for the longest time without issue.

However, with the DX18 that I just picked up yesterday, I'm having one of those head scratching moments.

The way I have it set up on my DX8 is like this:

The MIX/HOLD is my throttle cut, with 0 as throttle cut engaged and 1 for throttle cut disengaged.

When I engage (0) my throttle cut, no amount of messing with the throttle stick will turn my throttle on. GOOD! When I disengage (1) the throttle cut, my current throttle stick setting is where my throttle will be. So if I'm taxiing on the run way at 50% throttle and then engage (0) the throttle cut, the motor stops as well as the plane. When I disengage (1) the throttle cut, the motor kicks right back to the 50% where I left my throttle stick.

I'm trying to do the same thing with the DX18, but every time I disengage the throttle cut, the motor/throttle kick up and runs...even when my throttle stick is all the way down/off.

I have my throttle cut set up just like the manual, switch H, which is in the same location as my DX8. The only difference is I'm using -150% value instead of the -130%. Even the on/off boxes are set up the same as in the manual.

???

I'm using firmware 1.02 and any help would be much appreciated.

P.S. Anyone else notice that the screen flickers every now and then? Not like a massive flicker that the whole screen is unreadable, but a small "distortion" if you will.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Sep 23, 2012, 01:57 AM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post
For those of you who requested for a photo/video of the screen glitches I am seeing on my DX18, two examples I shot with my phone are contained in the attached ZIP.

The Servo Setup screen shows the glitches the best given that it has lots of horizontal lines. When looking at the Main Screen video, the glitches are easiest to see in flight mode (Aggressive) and the model name.

I would appreciate it if other DX18 owners would check for this issue. I know of only two others that have reported it on RCGroups. I would be especially grateful if someone who doesn't think they have this issue would post an equivalent video of the Servo Setup screen.

Thanks! -Randy
Westranm, I'm having the exact same issue! My DX18 came fresh out of the UPS delivery truck box with other goodies that my LHS received yesterday. From the big UPS box, the LHS took the DX18 box out out and brought me up to the cash register. Paid for the TX and drove home.

I didn't open it up until today (in order to charge it) and I noticed the exact same screen flickering as you have posted and in your videos. It's annoying for sure, but I hope it doesn't affect the function and stability of the TX.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:16 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
P.S. Anyone else notice that the screen flickers every now and then? Not like a massive flicker that the whole screen is unreadable, but a small "distortion" if you will.
go into the servo monitor screen and watch.... there the flicke is clearly manifested

reed this POOL:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=dx18
rillo75 is online now Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:32 AM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post
go into the servo monitor screen and watch.... there the flicke is clearly manifested

reed this POOL:
Yes! Exactly like that. My LCD screen does that at what seems like every 3-4 seconds. A "rolling" distortion.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,199 Posts
Quote:
I'm trying to do the same thing with the DX18, but every time I disengage the throttle cut, the motor/throttle kick up and runs...even when my throttle stick is all the way down/off.

I have my throttle cut set up just like the manual, switch H, which is in the same location as my DX8. The only difference is I'm using -150% value instead of the -130%. Even the on/off boxes are set up the same as in the manual.
I suspect the end point is different between low throttle and throttle cut. If so, it sounds like you turned on your plane while the cut switch was engaged, and the ESC memorized THAT as your low-throttle/off position. When you flip the switch, the ESC thinks you moved the stick up a little.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 23, 2012, 08:59 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post

reed this POOL:
Quote:
Yes! Exactly like that. My LCD screen does that at what seems like every 3-4 seconds. A "rolling" distortion.
Mine did that occasionally also and when I sent my radio in for repair, the tech at HH told me that in hot climates the flickering happens more often and that the screen was only refreshing itself. It has been hot here lately but I use my radio early in the morning and haven't noticed it lately. I just go fly and have fun. Play with in the evening when it is cooler and early mornings and see what happens. Like I said, I haven't noticed my doing it for quite a while.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:39 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,514 Posts
The TM1000 reports 0 F 0 H. I assume that's good?

On the brushless RPM sensor, I am getting all sorts of screwy readings.

Before my first flight today, I compared the RPM to a tach reading, and they were pretty close. In flight, I was getting some ridiculously high readings (70,000 rpm).

But during my second flight, the G forces pulled the brushless motor cable from the TM1000. After I reconnected it, I was getting all sorts of spurious readings, with reasonable readings mixed in.

The g-force and voltage readings all seemed reasonable. I was able to pull +/- 12 g on my extreme flight airframe.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 23, 2012, 10:43 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,570 Posts
Zero's in this case are very good.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:37 AM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
I suspect the end point is different between low throttle and throttle cut. If so, it sounds like you turned on your plane while the cut switch was engaged, and the ESC memorized THAT as your low-throttle/off position. When you flip the switch, the ESC thinks you moved the stick up a little.

Andy
Ah, thank you Andy. I was testing it in my garage late at night, but I didn't engage the throttle all the way 100%. I didn't want to make too much noise at night for out of respect for our neighbors.

Everything worked well when I was out flying earlier today.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:46 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
The TM1000 reports 0 F 0 H. I assume that's good?

On the brushless RPM sensor, I am getting all sorts of screwy readings.

Before my first flight today, I compared the RPM to a tach reading, and they were pretty close. In flight, I was getting some ridiculously high readings (70,000 rpm).

But during my second flight, the G forces pulled the brushless motor cable from the TM1000. After I reconnected it, I was getting all sorts of spurious readings, with reasonable readings mixed in.

The g-force and voltage readings all seemed reasonable. I was able to pull +/- 12 g on my extreme flight airframe.
+12 g -12g

The brushless rpm sensor can be kind of temperamental.Where did you connect the leads? You might try swapping one to a different motor lead.
If your getting really spurious readings you might try hitting to Clear button and resetting the display after your initial spoolup.I noticed it can be a little whacky when the motor is starting before it stabilizes.Are you sure you got the polecount correct? If its still going whacko and not giving reasonably reliable readings you might call HH and see about getting it replaced.
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Sep 24, 2012, 04:00 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
316 Posts
Picked up a DX18 on Saturday

Does anyone have a link for the spektrum telemetry Jetcat sensor?
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry