HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
United States, UT, Farmington
Joined Aug 2011
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
First, enable XPlus on the Frame Rate screen.

Set X+1 and X+2 inputs to INH. This will center them. (This is the default config, nothing to do).

Then in your mixes, you can mix AIL > X+1 or X+2. This will move the D/R and Expo'd version of the sticks to them.

You will need to do manual mixing to them for any differential you might have, or any other mixes to the ailerons.

The Balance function will probably be very helpful too.

Andy
That is awesome. So easy!
sirzeppu is online now Find More Posts by sirzeppu
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:57 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
....must admit I was overthinking the issue....
I did the same thing for the first few days. Once the light went off it seems so easy now.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Sep 12, 2012, 06:46 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,075 Posts
Ex-JR12X to DX-18

Deja vu all over again. I had almost 30 models (five or so quite active, but rotated) programmed in my 12X with 8 -10 channels for many models (some 12 channels.)

I wanted to be able to fly w/the 12X OR the -18, so I struggled with the channel assignment. I suspect that Andy either has less hair, or more grey because I kept trying to understand.

Andy said the same thing to me: once you get the function vs. channels/receiver mapping concept, it will "click". He is absolutely right and now I program models quite quickly with many having eight to ten mixes. I have a few templates that I just copy and modify.

It is worth the trouble. After a month, I sold my 12X and have not regretted it one bit.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
Got it to work and must admit I was overthinking the issue but if one considers who the primary audience is for these things, a bit better explanation (or at least a note) in the manual might be in order. Especially if Andy says the inhouse JR guys have been having the same issue....
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
220 221 Whatever it takes
USA, IL, Belleville
Joined Dec 2009
276 Posts
Absolute Travel again

Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221
I have a question about the absolute travel setting. For example on a night vapor i want to use both the aileron and rudder sticks for the rudder and mix it so it works that way how do i prevent overtravel of the servo if by chance both inputs are used.
That's exactly what it's for.

It's pretty easy to calculate the values, too. Here is the info you need:

150% = 1024 steps (per side), so 100% = 682 steps. The center position is 1024, so you set the low end of travel to 1024 - 682 = 342, and you set the high end to 1706.

If y is the percent of travel in either direction, then x is the value to add to or subtract from 1024 (center position).

x = (1024 * y) / 150

Low = 1024 - x
High = 1024 + x

So do I need to do this for both aileron and rudder or just aileron? We are talking port not function or are we?
captdave221 is offline Find More Posts by captdave221
Old Sep 13, 2012, 02:24 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,474 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221
I have a question about the absolute travel setting. For example on a night vapor i want to use both the aileron and rudder sticks for the rudder and mix it so it works that way how do i prevent overtravel of the servo if by chance both inputs are used.
That's exactly what it's for.

It's pretty easy to calculate the values, too. Here is the info you need:

150% = 1024 steps (per side), so 100% = 682 steps. The center position is 1024, so you set the low end of travel to 1024 - 682 = 342, and you set the high end to 1706.

If y is the percent of travel in either direction, then x is the value to add to or subtract from 1024 (center position).

x = (1024 * y) / 150

Low = 1024 - x
High = 1024 + x

So do I need to do this for both aileron and rudder or just aileron? We are talking port not function or are we?
If mixing ail to rud you would only need to get the absolute travel set on the rudder channel.That is the one that would be driven past 100 if you happen to have travel totaling more than 100 with input from both sticks.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Sep 13, 2012, 04:53 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digger951 View Post
did that work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
Could you nudge them to make a windows program to view the information and maybe create graphs etc? Even just an export to a csv would do.

Also it would be greatly apprieciated if you could get to work on exporting the gps information from the soon to be released gps module into gpx format? With that I can import it into google earth and see my flight track in 3d along with a timeline track which would be awesome.
This seems to work but all I can see with digger's file is temp and Rx voltage. Is that a limitation of LogView or is the Flight Log data even being saved to the .tlm
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:59 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by captdave221 View Post
As Aerocal noted, only on the channel that could be over-driven.

Absolute Travel is a Servo function. As such, it limits/adjusts/etc. the data from a function on its way to the port.

For instance, if you make a copy of a channel to a second port, you can do reversing, speed, travel, abs. travel, etc. to them totally independently.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
912 Posts
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Last edited by duworm; Sep 13, 2012 at 12:17 PM. Reason: premature
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
Airware version 1.03 fixes the V-tail differential issue when aileron is mixed to rudder. (Diff was available on the rudder stick but not on the aileron stick when Aileron was mixed to rudder) For you guys with V-tails, this upgrade is a MUST.

Sherman Knight
Hmmm....

I thought the current version of AirWare for the DX18 was Ver. 1.02?
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:09 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,432 Posts
I have had a great time flying my Twin Otter with the DX18.

Yet I still occasionally stuff the nose and bounce the landing.

With the down elevator mix with flaps out it tends to dive as I dial the throttle off. If I forget to keep some up pressure near the ground I get the stuffed nose landing.

So I was thinking of the throttle to up elevator mix. I have tried it on the sim and liked it in part. If you drop the throttle very quickly just as you touch down the added elevator can make it balloon back up.

So what I thought about was two mixes. One starts dialing in the up elevator as throttle goes below 50%, the other one starts counteracting below say 15% so no more up elevator is added after that point.

Is this the easiest/most sensible way to do something like this?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:14 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,441 Posts
I just use the elevator stick to set the pitch I want, since, I think, the amount of pitch I want is dependent on air speed and altitude, and not throttle stick location. But I don't fly scale or planes with flaps much anymore.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Last edited by 7oneWo1f; Sep 13, 2012 at 01:22 PM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,489 Posts
David,

You can use two mixes. The switch can be based on the throttle stick position (use Analog Switch screen to select the kick points). The offset for each should probably be the kick point you use.

You can even do a combo switch if you want, so that the mix is only active if the throttle stick is in the right position AND the flaps are in the right position.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
Germany, BW, Friedrichshafen
Joined Jun 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
This seems to work but all I can see with digger's file is temp and Rx voltage. Is that a limitation of LogView or is the Flight Log data even being saved to the .tlm
This makes it even more necessary that the file name bug for the TLM-files is removed

Axel
Axel_S is offline Find More Posts by Axel_S
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:56 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
David,

You can use two mixes. The switch can be based on the throttle stick position (use Analog Switch screen to select the kick points). The offset for each should probably be the kick point you use.

You can even do a combo switch if you want, so that the mix is only active if the throttle stick is in the right position AND the flaps are in the right position.

Andy
Cool, I was not thinking Analog Switch initially.

For sure it will be a Combo switch too, only active when Flight Mode brings the flaps down and the throttle is past the kick point.

I don't think it needs to be active for all Flaps Down Flight Modes either. One notch of flaps on a breezy day does not give me too much issue but two, three, or four notches when it is calm is where I feel the need for it.

Gotta get into some programming now.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 08:19 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,489 Posts
Well those are the tools you will probably want to use.

Keep us posted on how it goes. A video would be cool too!

Andy
Site Sponsor