HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,425 Posts
XPLUS channels X+1 and X+2 correspond to channels 11 & 12. Do your channel input assignments and mix setups with XPLUS enabled (use the Frame Rate screen to enable it, then bind). After you have it working, you can turn off XPLUS.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:58 PM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
I found a small but annoying bug in the latest DS18 flight mode setup software. The flight mode naming screen is not easy to find since it is accessed by hitting the PREV button on the prior screen.
Not a big deal but it did frustrate me for a few minutes.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Sep 03, 2012, 06:41 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,268 Posts
Small bug? It's just a matter of how you view things. Flight Mode Name Setup is right there in plain view in the system setup list.

In Sail Type, clicking on Custom brings you to different screens where when you scroll to next brings you the Flight Mode Names and there you can edit the names.

Fairly easy when you know how it works and that would fall to the manual to instruct but we all know the story with manuals.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 03, 2012, 07:08 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,225 Posts
Can you assign any function to any channel such as throttle to channel 4?
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 03, 2012, 08:44 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,425 Posts
Yes. Primary functions can be assigned to any of the first 10 channels. Any switch or input can be assigned to them as well.

Secondary functions or raw stick inputs can go to the XPLUS channels, but XPLUS cannot do things like Right Aileron or similar due to the variable latency.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,225 Posts
Perfect thanks Andy..time to sell the dx8.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:30 AM
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Joined Apr 2003
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Small bug? It's just a matter of how you view things. Flight Mode Name Setup is right there in plain view in the system setup list.

In Sail Type, clicking on Custom brings you to different screens where when you scroll to next brings you the Flight Mode Names and there you can edit the names.

Fairly easy when you know how it works and that would fall to the manual to instruct but we all know the story with manuals.
I don't see that on my DX18:
System Setup
< Main Screen >
Model Select
Model Type
Model Name
Sailplane type
Wing
Tail
Motor
F-Mode Setup
Chanel Assign
Trim Setup
Model Copy
Model Reset
Warnings
Telemetry
Preflight Setup
Frame Rate
Bind
Trainer
Analog Switch Setup
System Settings
Transfer SD Card

I can still only find the Flight Mode Names screen by selecting Prev on the Flight Mode Table screen.
Ib Jensen is offline Find More Posts by Ib Jensen
Old Sep 04, 2012, 07:53 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,268 Posts
On a fresh model. Sail - If you enter F-Mode Setup, there you should see Custom
Then it's a matter of going to the next screen and getting to Flight Mode Names screen.

Maybe it's just how I am looking at it.

You can surely make it a request to see that screen more on it's own kinda deal.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:19 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ib Jensen View Post
I don't see that on my DX18:
I can still only find the Flight Mode Names screen by selecting Prev on the Flight Mode Table screen.
In Sail mode that is correct. That is where you edit the names.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yes. Primary functions can be assigned to any of the first 10 channels. Any switch or input can be assigned to them as well.

Secondary functions or raw stick inputs can go to the XPLUS channels, but XPLUS cannot do things like Right Aileron or similar due to the variable latency.

Andy
Andy,

I am not real clear about the 'Channel Assign' screens and could use a little direction. When you say that you can assign the primary functions to any of the first 10 channels and then any switch or input can be assigned it seems to conflict with my hands on experience with the DX18. For example when I use the 'Aircraft Type' menu in the 'System Menu' to create a new plane that has 2 ail, 2 flaps, and 2 elev and then move the 'Channel Assign' menu I find that all but two channels have alread been assigned and that if you wanted to assign the gear channel to 'Gear' and the gear switch you cannot do that because the radio does not make those choices available to you. Am I doing something wrong or do you mean you can move only primary flight controls around and change inputs only on those channels not being controlled by the radio due to choices made in the 'Aircraft Type' menu. I sure hope this is understandable and if not don't waste your valuable time -- I will keep plugging and figure it out.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:36 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,425 Posts
The Aircraft Type screen selects a default channel assignment for all the aircraft control functions (left/right ailerons, left/right flaps, etc.). These selections will, for the most part, match the channels selected by a DX8. The intent is to allow use of the smallest receiver (save you money).

The "Channel Assign" menu option gives you two screens. The first screen allows you to map an airplane control function to a receiver port. This means you can put the Left Aileron, for instance, onto any channel shown there.

The second screen allows you to map an input device to an airplane control function, but only to auxiliary functions. So you can put a switch onto the AUX1 function in this screen, then on the other screen put the AUX1 function into the AUX3 receiver port.

One more item: When the channel processor assigns functions, it takes ownership of that function. In your example, Left Flap was put onto the slot normally named "Gear" so there is no more function named Gear any more. You can still control your landing gear if you wish, but you do it through a function with a different name. HINT: If you use the Sequencer for controlling the gear, you can get the name back if you want to.

Does that explanation make more sense?

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 04, 2012, 09:56 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Andy,

Thank you sir and yes it does make sense and correspond with my experience. Thank you.
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:27 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,135 Posts
Oh man, two hundred plus pages.... wow!

Although I've been kind of following this thread, I got a DX18 a bit sooner than I expected. It's most likely been addressed but I've not found it; the low battery warning seems like it's set way too low for modern LiPo batteries, is anyone cranking that voltage up a bit for the low battery warning?
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:54 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,011 Posts
Uuuh, 6.4 seems fine?
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Sep 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Uuuh, 6.4 seems fine?
That's what I'm asking; most LiPo batteries now have a higher cutoff voltage than the previous 3.2 volts or so with most indicating that LiPo's should not be drawn down below 3.7 volts per cell now....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb