HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 25, 2012, 12:59 PM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,575 Posts
Thanks, will try that next.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 05:10 PM
low, left, & fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I have to agree with you there. Some of the limitations of the programming gives me the sense of a 'crippled' radio. Even though I have learned how to do most of what I want done, I don't see why it should not be more wide open in the assignability department.

It seems the features were based on what the pilots that helped develop it wanted. As if they said "Why bother making able to do such and such, we have no need for that?"

Overall I think I would score it a B+ or and A- What is actually included for a radio in that price range is pretty amazing. What is not included for a radio in that price range is pretty amazing.
Sorry, I'm late in replying to your reply, David. But, "Thanks" for the agreement and "Well said!". I wanted to comment earlier, but have had way too many LATE nights trying to program this thing to my satisfaction.

It is a very nice radio in many ways, but I feel it could easily been made much easier to use in a few areas. Of recent (and yours) anguish is the fact that when you set up an aircraft with 'say' Flight Mode and assign channels, you are now stuck with those assignments. I don't quite know what exactly triggers this yet. You can't simply inhibit Flight Mode either. You must Reset to return the assignments, which also means you lose everything with that model.

I thought I'd be smart and program a Standard Set-up Model with most of what I use, thinking it's easier to delete/inhibit stuff that to create over and over. I was wrong. It will not let you do that for certain things. Again, I have not spent enough time (even tho that has been way too much) with it to know why. Too many permutations. Very frustrating when it could be so simple.
nuts-n-volts is offline Find More Posts by nuts-n-volts
Old Aug 26, 2012, 09:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
...when you set up an aircraft with 'say' Flight Mode and assign channels, you are now stuck with those assignments. I don't quite know what exactly triggers this yet. You can't simply inhibit Flight Mode either. You must Reset to return the assignments, which also means you lose everything with that model.
Please explain what you're saying, because from what I'm hearing none of it is true.

To change your flight mode switch assignments, you just pick new switches (see that PREV button in the bottom left corner?). If you want to try again completely, change all the switches to INH, exit to the menu, come back in. Now select Edit Custom (NOT the "Reset" one!) and re-build w/o losing what you already did.

If you don't want flight modes to do anything, pick a different switch to control it (there's a switch INH which means its disabled, and another ON which makes it always enabled).

Quote:
I thought I'd be smart and program a Standard Set-up Model with most of what I use, thinking it's easier to delete/inhibit stuff that to create over and over. I was wrong. It will not let you do that for certain things. Again, I have not spent enough time (even tho that has been way too much) with it to know why. Too many permutations. Very frustrating when it could be so simple.
It really is simple, maybe you could explain what you're trying to do that seems so difficult.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:02 AM
Joined Jan 2006
55 Posts
Hi I'm having a problem updating my DX-18, I have downloaded the file and transferred it to the SD card. When I start up the TX nothing different happens the transmitter starts up as normal? here is a pic of what is on my SD card

Under "System Settings" and "Serial number" it has export 1.00.

I live in Australia and US-247 displays when I switch on the transmitter.

Also should I remove old update files and the saved models?
dale69101 is offline Find More Posts by dale69101
Last edited by dale69101; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:18 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 06:38 AM
Nuvolera (Italy)
Joined Jul 2007
669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale69101 View Post
Hi I'm having a problem updating my DX-18, I have downloaded the file and transferred it to the SD card. When I start up the TX nothing different happens the transmitter starts up as normal? here is a pic of what is on my SD card

Under "System Settings" and "Serial number" it has export 1.00.

I live in Australia and US-247 displays when I switch on the transmitter.

Also should I remove old update files and the saved models?
Hi,
from what I can see in your pic, there is a file named "spmtx-2.sax" (red highlighted) in your SD card. Maybe it is the downloaded file, renamed by your Operative System (MAC OS?). Its correct name should be "spmtx.sax".
Please, double check the file name after download it; if it is different from "spmtx.sax", you should correctly rename it before transfer it to the SD card.

About the old .sax file (spmtx100.sax in your pic), you could remove it if you want.

Ciao,
Egidio
egicar is offline Find More Posts by egicar
Last edited by egicar; Aug 27, 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 07:29 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
Question:
i'm tring to setup an EXTRA 330 with two servo on elevator, i have chose the appropriate configuration (aircraft with two servo on elevator), but when i try to SUB TRIM them, both surfaces move!
How can I sub trim separately the two elevator servo?

THX!!!
rillo75 is online now Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Aug 27, 2012, 08:43 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post
Question:
i'm tring to setup an EXTRA 330 with two servo on elevator, i have chose the appropriate configuration (aircraft with two servo on elevator), but when i try to SUB TRIM them, both surfaces move!
How can I sub trim separately the two elevator servo?

THX!!!
If you have that set up and each servo plugged into separate channels they should Sub Trim independantly, but would of course move together when using the trim on the front of the radio.

In Servo Setup screen on the Sub Trim menu there should be LEL and REL. pick the one you want then trim.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Aug 27, 2012, 11:57 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
If you have that set up and each servo plugged into separate channels they should Sub Trim independantly, but would of course move together when using the trim on the front of the radio.

In Servo Setup screen on the Sub Trim menu there should be LEL and REL. pick the one you want then trim.
my bad!
before I connect the plain whit my new DX18, I had use my old DX7 and I forgot that the two elevon servos was connected to the RX with an Y cable!

thanx and sorry for the stupid question!
rillo75 is online now Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Aug 27, 2012, 01:10 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post
my bad!
before I connect the plain whit my new DX18, I had use my old DX7 and I forgot that the two elevon servos was connected to the RX with an Y cable!

thanx and sorry for the stupid question!
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Glad I could help.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
low, left, & fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Please explain what you're saying, because from what I'm hearing none of it is true.

To change your flight mode switch assignments, you just pick new switches (see that PREV button in the bottom left corner?). If you want to try again completely, change all the switches to INH, exit to the menu, come back in. Now select Edit Custom (NOT the "Reset" one!) and re-build w/o losing what you already did.

If you don't want flight modes to do anything, pick a different switch to control it (there's a switch INH which means its disabled, and another ON which makes it always enabled).

It really is simple, maybe you could explain what you're trying to do that seems so difficult.

Andy
Thanks, let me go back and check. I think I might of only turned off the Flight Mode itself instead of turning off everything underneath it. Maybe I didn't get everything INH before going back in to start over again.

In Flight Mode with 2 Switches, can I change the position of where one Switch operates the other?
Example: LLever0>FM1, LLever1>FM2,4,5, LLever2>FM3.
Changed to: LLever0>FM1, LLever1>FM2, LLever2>FM3,4,5. ...Still bummed that I can't do slow proportional flaps with slow elevator comp. But this could help.

How do I turn off the Registration screen that pops up when turning the radio ON or OFF?

Is there a way to save Pre-Flight Checks that I created in place of the ones that are installed?

OK, Here's a mix for ya. And I've tried Normal and Curved mixes, combo switches, switch controlled function to function, but since no mix will offset, nothing workie!... Is there some other way you are offsetting a function to get your mix?
Example: P-51. Radiator Cooling Flap (CFlap) used for scale cooling to electric system. It works with Throttle, D, and Gear.

Throttle>CFlap:
0-50%> Full Open
50%>CFlap starts to linear Close (no expo)
100%>Closed

Switch D>CFlap:
D0>Manual Closed (Overrides both Gear and Throttle)
D1,2>Automatic (Always Open with Gear Down / follows Throttle with Gear Up)

Gear>CFlap (D2Auto):
Down>Full Open (overrides Throttle and D2)
Up>Automatic with Throttle

"Whyyy, I've had this mix on my 10x for years... No offense!" - R. Dangerfield voice...
nuts-n-volts is offline Find More Posts by nuts-n-volts
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:06 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,783 Posts
Quote:
....In Flight Mode with 2 Switches, can I change the position of where one Switch operates the other?
Changed to: LLever0>FM1, LLever1>FM2, LLever2>FM3,4,5.....
You can if you put the .spm on your desktop and copy/paste the fmtable section from a sail (with custom FMode) to an acro file.

Have a look at my Twin Otter file, you can see the difference.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 04:35 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Quote:
In Flight Mode with 2 Switches, can I change the position of where one Switch operates the other?
Changed to: LLever0>FM1, LLever1>FM2, LLever2>FM3,4,5.
Yes. That's the Custom version in Sailplane. You can put any mode into any switch position.

Quote:
How do I turn off the Registration screen that pops up when turning the radio ON or OFF?
Register your radio and install an update.

Quote:
Is there a way to save Pre-Flight Checks that I created in place of the ones that are installed?
They are saved in the SPM file. You could import them when moving a model. As for creating a set of new defaults, not really. You COULD edit them, export that model, then import it for all your unused models. You can do it real simply with an Import All if you make a bunch of copies of the file and renamed them with numbers in the first two digits of the name (01-50).

Quote:
OK, Here's a mix for ya. And I've tried Normal and Curved mixes, combo switches, switch controlled function to function, but since no mix will offset, nothing workie!...
Offset is there. It's called "Offset" and it's right below "Rates" on the Normal mix screen. On a Curve mix you don't need one.

Quote:
Is there some other way you are offsetting a function to get your mix?
Example: P-51. Radiator Cooling Flap (CFlap) used for scale cooling to electric system. It works with Throttle, D, and Gear.

Throttle>CFlap:
0-50%> Full Open
50%>CFlap starts to linear Close (no expo)
100%>Closed

Switch D>CFlap:
D0>Manual Closed (Overrides both Gear and Throttle)
D1,2>Automatic (Always Open with Gear Down / follows Throttle with Gear Up)

Gear>CFlap (D2Auto):
Down>Full Open (overrides Throttle and D2)
Up>Automatic with Throttle
I'm pretty sure you can. You will need a couple mixes, though, using different switches and different combinations for the switch (use the switch COMBO).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 27, 2012, 05:37 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,966 Posts
I don't think it is a niche market at all. I do think that relative to all the other items controlled by spektrum technology though it is pretty small.
If you were to compare the quad copter flyers vs all the bind and fly, gassers, and electric guys, it is probably less than 1% in all honesty.
Same with UHF devices controlled out of the spektrum trainer port. Andy said they don't support UHF....no problem...I understand that isn't their market.
Markets are driven by sales and profit.
If thousands of quad copter guys were saying to spektrum that they are buying the competition then I sure the attitude would be different, but we aren't there yet.
I feel your pain, but like my uhf issue, you probably won't get official support.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
Fayetteville Municipal, Arkansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
574 Posts
1.02 Firmware Flaw

I believe I have found a firmware flaw in 1.02 or if this is already a known issue then all the better.

In helicopter mode. Bound in DSMX 2048 11ms.

If you reverse a channel like aileron or etc. then AFTER the channel is reversed if you adjust travel adjust(end points is what I and most call it) where BOTH numbers are adjusted at the same time everything works. If you for instance hold full left aileron and adjust one side at a time NOTHING MOVES. It will only do this if the channel is reversed. Adjust left and right at same time everything works. Adjust one side at a time and you can scroll way over the default percentage of 100% or WAY under and nothing happens.

Go to the monitor and it shows everything adjusting BUT... nothing actually moves.

I have not tried to see if this flaw exists in DSM2 mode or not, but in DSMX at 2048 11ms it sure does in helicopter mode.

It sure needs to be fixed quickly. Have not come across any other issues.

Norman Ross Jr.
Futurase is offline Find More Posts by Futurase
Old Aug 28, 2012, 06:50 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
It's the way it behaves in ALL the AirWare radios, Norman. Actually, what is happening is it's changing the opposite side vs. the one you have selected. It's slated to be fixed at some time in the future, but I wouldn't expect it in the next update.

Andy
Site Sponsor