SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:53 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I dont think touch screen is that inportant. As long as the roller is well made and doesnt break. My roller on the DX8 hasnt broken but it is too slippery. The screen looks a little bigger though.

VP
The roller is rubber. Everybody is going to love this one feature!

You won't like the display, Pete. The screen is larger, but the pixels are smaller (crisper edges) but the trim pixel counts are identical to the DX8. OTOH, you can select from 3 different trim display formats, the same as the DX10t - Boxed boxes (DX8), Boxed Arrows, and None.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:26 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
They finally have the TX ON/OFF switch in the right (upside) position.
Personally I don't like the plastic grab handle on a Tx of this price range.
The DX8 Tx case already has big overall dimensions, the DX18 seems even larger.
It has a plastic grab handle since there is also an antenna inside.

This radio seems to be situated perfectly in the market, other than the 18mz, (which is way too expensive)
Other brand radios will really seem dated. And with the ability to use $6 clone receivers , UM indoor models
and all the way to 18 channel monsters, this seems like a realistically affordable top end radio.

So far the listed
price is $799, and it includes a $150 receiver.

pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Last edited by pach; Feb 01, 2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:40 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2011
118 Posts
i guess i must have to agree! Is the handle an antenna aswell?
F27QFlyer is offline Find More Posts by F27QFlyer
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:14 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,081 Posts
Yes, there is one inside it. It means you no longer have to wonder, "Should I point the antenna at an angle, or up, or down, etc." because there are two antennas to automatically address the issue.

They are also much stronger than the old style antenna, so they're less likely to be damaged.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:15 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
They finally have the TX ON/OFF switch in the right (upside) position.
Personally I don't like the plastic grab handle on a Tx of this price range.
The DX8 Tx case already has big overall dimensions, the DX18 seems even larger.
Any idea when they will be available for willing and fearless "First Generation Beta Testers"?
Also is the battery a LiPo and does it come with a case?
VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Last edited by Victory Pete; Feb 01, 2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
Anyone know if it will shuffle your channels down so you can use a six channel Rx instead of a seven for my gliders...? (Uses the throttle channel instead of wasting it!) My DSX12 does it, but I don't like putting it down on our muddy hillsides... ;-)
CraigL is offline Find More Posts by CraigL
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:31 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The roller is rubber. Everybody is going to love this one feature!

You won't like the display, Pete. The screen is larger, but the pixels are smaller (crisper edges) but the trim pixel counts are identical to the DX8. OTOH, you can select from 3 different trim display formats, the same as the DX10t - Boxed boxes (DX8), Boxed Arrows, and None.

Andy
Kudos on the roller. So the actual size of the trim dsiplay is even smaller than DX8? Are there any links to the optional trim displays yet? I am anxiously curious.

VP
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:34 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Any idea when they will be available for willing and fearless "First Generation Beta Testers"?
VP
For Europe they promissed the DX18 should be available summer 2012.
Don't know for the U.S. but I expect it will be sooner.
They just started delivery of the DX10 in Europe.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:39 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by F27QFlyer View Post
Would anyone buy this over a dx8? this is $800
I would, if it meets my requirements, I think the price is right if it is well made and not plagued with problems. This is the price range I was looking for.

VP
Last edited by Victory Pete; Feb 01, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,081 Posts
Quote:
They've had them for months.

Quote:
LiPo, yes. Case, idk.

Quote:
So the actual size of the trim dsiplay is even smaller than DX8? Are there any links to the optional trim displays yet?
Yes, yes - they're the same samples I showed you when you were doing your design a few months ago. The DX10t and DX18 have the same display options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL
Anyone know if it will shuffle your channels down so you can use a six channel Rx instead of a seven for my gliders...? (Uses the throttle channel instead of wasting it!) My DSX12 does it, but I don't like putting it down on our muddy hillsides... ;-)
Yes and no. It does not automatically squeeze the output down, but you can map the channels around. If you are flying a glider with two aileron servos, then the motor automatically gets moved up to Aux1 by default (if you have enabled a motor).

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:45 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Some more pictures of the DX18 on the NŁrnberg fare at Germany and other new interesting items.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:53 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
They've had them for months.

LiPo, yes. Case, idk.

Yes, yes - they're the same samples I showed you when you were doing your design a few months ago. The DX10t and DX18 have the same display options.

Andy

I meant actual "Beta Consumers".
So after all this time, with all the controversy, and the fact I am not the only one who thinks the trims displays are too small on the DX8, the trims display on the DX18 is actually smaller, come on, are you kidding? I can see in this photo how they are smaller, just make them bigger for the sake of all that is fair, logical and practical. I am stunned!

VP
Last edited by Victory Pete; Feb 01, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2007
4 Posts
Thanks Andy... What about if it is purely a slope glider with twin flaps, twin ailerons, rudder and elevator...? Would it then assign the (non existent!) motor to Aux 2, thus only utilising the first six channels? I'm asking because I already have alot of my gliders fitted out with AR6255's...
CraigL is offline Find More Posts by CraigL
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:04 AM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
Show some enthusiasm.

IT HAS SIDE SLIDERS!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thef View Post
It has sliders
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:06 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigL View Post
Thanks Andy... What about if it is purely a slope glider with twin flaps, twin ailerons, rudder and elevator...? Would it then assign the (non existent!) motor to Aux 2, thus only utilising the first six channels? I'm asking because I already have alot of my gliders fitted out with AR6255's...
It doesn't work that way! In a glider, you have to tell it IF you have a motor. The motor defaults position depends on wing type.

If 2 Ail/2 Flap wing with no motor, the default channel assignment is LAL, RAL, ELE, RUD, RFL, LFL, AX2, AX3, AX4, AX5.

If you enable motor, the default is LAL, RAL, ELE, RUD, RFL, LFL, MOT, AX3, AX4, AX5.

Andy
Site Sponsor