HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 23, 2012, 06:32 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,598 Posts
If not mistaken the DX6i is the last radio in the production line to allow the end user to be able to change it.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Jul 2007
79 Posts
@ JohnathanSwift : Thanks for your ansewer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabram View Post
So long as he is aware that the USA DX18 will NOT allow change away from US-246 and therefore will not be legal for use in Europe.

I have a USA DX18 and will NOT let me change away from US-246, so this is not guess work.

Why doesn't Spektrum simply allow one to chose which country one wishes to use ones DX18 instead of all this nonsense, is it a legal requirement or an oversight.

So if we travel we have to buy another DX18 ? is that the correct answer ?
OMG that's soooooo stupid !
I can understand that maybee there are imperative limitations (by EU regulations), to make the change more complicated than a simple switch in the setup, but I do not understand whether it is impossible...
All the DX8 problems reported here in France, and the first European DX18 owner review are so catastrophic, that I wonder if I am not going to decide to abandon Spektrum, brand which I like particularly since I use my DX7...
I'm going in New York next month, that leaves me the time to think if I will take the time to find one there...
Spouny is offline Find More Posts by Spouny
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:12 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
[QUOTE=Spouny;22526219]@ JohnathanSwift : Thanks for your ansewer.

.....................and the first European DX18 owner review are so catastrophic, that I wonder if I am not going to decide to abandon Spektrum, ........................

What, specifically is catastrophic about the DX18 review. Please do us all a favor and either put up or shut down the inflamatory rhetoric.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Aug 23, 2012, 09:56 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Yeah, my bad-old specs and old brain.

I doubt the radio police will care in the EU, but I suppose stranger things have happened.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:52 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
If you don't like the law, complain to your EU representatives. They made the law, not us.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:04 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Yeah, send ole Angela a strong letter, which ends, "Stronger letter to follow."

I'll bet she will listen!
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Aug 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:09 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spouny View Post
@ JohnathanSwift : Thanks for your ansewer.

I can understand that maybee there are imperative limitations (by EU regulations), to make the change more complicated than a simple switch in the setup, but I do not understand whether it is impossible...
All the DX8 problems reported here in France, and the first European DX18 owner review are so catastrophic, that I wonder if I am not going to decide to abandon Spektrum, brand which I like particularly since I use my DX7...
I'm going in New York next month, that leaves me the time to think if I will take the time to find one there...
Maybe related to the fact that in France not all channels can be used and therefore you are limited to DSM2 ?
Set the radio to EU und there you go.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:12 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Maybe related to the fact that in France not all channels can be used and therefore you are limited to DSM2 ?
Set the radio to EU und there you go.
Yes, but what about Les Flics!

Busted in France for using too many channels!

Les Flics (French Project) (5 min 35 sec)

REGARDEZ LES CHANNELS!
Last edited by JohnathanSwift; Aug 23, 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:20 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,256 Posts
Somebody asked about what the GPS looks like on the STi. I forget which thread, and it's kinda hard to search easily from lake side

Here's the answer:

The STi superimposes an airplane icon on top of a
google map. It moves in realtime as long as the device has a net connection.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 23, 2012, 01:33 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Somebody asked about what the GPS looks like on the STi. I forget which thread, and it's kinda hard to search easily from lake side
Andy
Oh my word, here you are on vacation taking care of your customers. Talk about dedication above and beyond the call of duty! My hats off to you Andy.

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Aug 23, 2012, 02:40 PM
Orlando, Fl
Joined Jan 2008
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Here's the answer:

The STi superimposes an airplane icon on top of a
google map. It moves in realtime as long as the device has a net connection.

Andy
Now that is cool. I guess we still have the gauges displayed on the side, right? Is it possible to cache the maps?
jhroof is online now Find More Posts by jhroof
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:04 PM
low, left, & fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
147 Posts
I can get slow proportional flaps... but does anyone know if I can get them with appropriate slow elevator compensation in Acro mode? Sorry, I've looked and might have missed it if it was posted before.
nuts-n-volts is offline Find More Posts by nuts-n-volts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:08 PM
low, left, & fast
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Joined Dec 2004
147 Posts
Was also wondering if switch "I" (the Trainer/ Bind button could be used in flight for an option without activating the antenna's low power for Range Mode?
nuts-n-volts is offline Find More Posts by nuts-n-volts
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,598 Posts
The only time it activates the lower power is when the radio is in the range menu.

I use that button to Activate the bomb drop on one of my planes.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 23, 2012, 05:16 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,186 Posts
Trainer Button Usage

With the -18 ability to use a fixed (vs. momentary) switch and master override enabled, I generally use a spare switch to control trainer mode.

That frees up switch "I" and it can be assigned to any function you wish. I use a Guardian 2D/3D flight stabilization system and, with small, fast birds, can get temporarily disoriented (euphemism for losing it). Even with a three-position switch and fuel tubing on the handle, I cannot always grab it, reliably, when in panic mode. You do not have to worry about reduced power, switching to a slave box, and/or going into bind mode because the software state takes care of that; i.e., bind and range are separate system menu items; not normally available in flight mode.

So, I programmed a couple of mixes triggered by switch "I" to force the Guardian into 2D (straight and level).

It has worked great and saved the bacon on my eFlite Habu 32 EDF. Also, as Andy noted a while back, if you do a lot of training, holding "I" down for long flights (as students get better) is tiring; hence taking advantage of master override and using a fixed switch.

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts-n-volts View Post
Was also wondering if switch "I" (the Trainer/ Bind button could be used in flight for an option without activating the antenna's low power for Range Mode?
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515