SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 17, 2012, 05:47 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
Is there any reason that I should not add a 12in servo extension lead between the end of the TM1000 lead and the Rx? The extra lead would enable me to disconnect the TM1000 without disturbing the Rx, and I could then transfer the TM1000 between planes whenever required. Leaving the 12in lead in situ would let me connect the bind plug for re-binding the Rx in the absence of the TM1000.
No reason against it
You only have to rebind the TM with every other plane. But many users only use the telemetry module for setup and the first flights. Not everyone is so crazy like me to equip ever bird with modules (and therefore making sure Andy keeps his job)
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:29 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Thanks. That means altitude and speed sensors will be easy to swap between planes along with the TM.
Gordon is online now Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:36 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
For the speed you want to leave the pitot tube in place on the model. We sell extra pitot/tubing kits so you can do this more easily.

Mark the tubes so you get them into the right nipples on the sensor!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:37 PM
Canada, BC, Vernon
Joined Mar 2009
249 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
You shouldn't categorize all modelers. I always ensure proper mechanical setup even from those out of the box kits.
My intent was not meant to categorize anybody but I admit it can be read that way and maybe between mind, fingers to keyboard and submit reply button it dose and did categorize.

Reading these forums on Spektrum Radios and trying to educate myself on the functions and capabilities of My first Computer Radio (DX7 and now DX8) after thirty two years of building both scratch and box kits of sticks and plans all controlled with analog radios a JR Century VII being my best before purchasing a DX7 in 2008 I see a lot of posting toward a need for more than 30 model memory and taking five or more Airplanes to the field for a days flying I see a trend in our hobby toward Bind and Fly and Plug and Play Airplanes with Pilots depending more and more on the abilities of the Radio to setup adjust and trim rather than spend time mechanically setting up an Airplane. This also shows in the many complaints about having to re set 20 or more Airplanes when upgrading a Radio where trims, sub trims, travel etc. have changed in the Airware (if that is the correct term). I feel that if the 20 or more Airplanes were set up mechanically correct than the moving of each Airplane from one Radio to the next would be simple and very basic with but a few minor adjustments.

Just My way of doing things, if I put any trims into an Airplane during flight I immediately adjust said trims mechanically so as My radio is centered and neutral at all times.
Moving My seven fully equipped Airplanes from My DX7 to My DX8 was seamless and easy. I truly Love (strong word for sure) My Spectrum system and most of My Airplanes are flying without mixes, flight modes and other features available other than some expo in a few of the faster scale birds that can be a bit twitchy and the expo feature makes me look a better Pilot.

Unlike the 170 member club I fly with regularly during the week and the 18 member club I fly with on Sundays with very few, maybe 5% if that many and they are soon outgrown and or put aside to never be seen at the field again Park Flyer's, Foamies, or Bind and Fly Models, Reading these forums tells me that outside My world our Hobby is changing and we are seeing more Pilots and less Builders.

Thanks for reading my rant and thanks for the responses received to my prior post. I see there are still a few of us out there that fit into My idea and opinion of the description of a "Modeler"

Brian T.
GBRellic is offline Find More Posts by GBRellic
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic View Post
My intent was not meant to categorize anybody but I admit it can be read that way and maybe between mind, fingers to keyboard and submit reply button it dose and did categorize.

Reading these forums on Spektrum Radios and trying to educate myself on the functions and capabilities of My first Computer Radio (DX7 and now DX8) after thirty two years of building both scratch and box kits of sticks and plans all controlled with analog radios a JR Century VII being my best before purchasing a DX7 in 2008 I see a lot of posting toward a need for more than 30 model memory and taking five or more Airplanes to the field for a days flying I see a trend in our hobby toward Bind and Fly and Plug and Play Airplanes with Pilots depending more and more on the abilities of the Radio to setup adjust and trim rather than spend time mechanically setting up an Airplane. This also shows in the many complaints about having to re set 20 or more Airplanes when upgrading a Radio where trims, sub trims, travel etc. have changed in the Airware (if that is the correct term). I feel that if the 20 or more Airplanes were set up mechanically correct than the moving of each Airplane from one Radio to the next would be simple and very basic with but a few minor adjustments.

Just My way of doing things, if I put any trims into an Airplane during flight I immediately adjust said trims mechanically so as My radio is centered and neutral at all times.
Moving My seven fully equipped Airplanes from My DX7 to My DX8 was seamless and easy. I truly Love (strong word for sure) My Spectrum system and most of My Airplanes are flying without mixes, flight modes and other features available other than some expo in a few of the faster scale birds that can be a bit twitchy and the expo feature makes me look a better Pilot.

Unlike the 170 member club I fly with regularly during the week and the 18 member club I fly with on Sundays with very few, maybe 5% if that many and they are soon outgrown and or put aside to never be seen at the field again Park Flyer's, Foamies, or Bind and Fly Models, Reading these forums tells me that outside My world our Hobby is changing and we are seeing more Pilots and less Builders.

Thanks for reading my rant and thanks for the responses received to my prior post. I see there are still a few of us out there that fit into My idea and opinion of the description of a "Modeler"

Brian T
All good on the part I left full sized, the rest was too long to read.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Aug 17, 2012, 12:47 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRellic View Post
I see there are still a few of us out there that fit into My idea and opinion of the description of a "Modeler"
We're alive and well. I think the number of "Modelers" (I agree with your definition) is relatively constant but the materials in use have changed, and the number of "Pilots" has increased dramatically.

We have a thread over in the Builders Workshop about "How can we bring model building back" that covers the topic in lots of fun detail.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102387

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 01:19 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
We're alive and well. I think the number of "Modelers" (I agree with your definition) is relatively constant but the materials in use have changed, and the number of "Pilots" has increased dramatically.

We have a thread over in the Builders Workshop about "How can we bring model building back" that covers the topic in lots of fun detail.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102387

Andy
I think Andy is dead on with that assesement. There are still lots of modelers around and there is no need to catagorize all of them into some substandard pigeon hole with the people that enjoy flying more than building.

If it were not for lots of folks enjoying this hobby as a sport, just for the flying fun of it, we would not enjoy such technologically advanced radios for amazingly low prices.

I, for one, do not want to go back to radios that cost 500-600 dollars in the 1960s, as very, very few were produced....or even to the radios that cost 250-350 in the 1970s. We get so much more for so (comparitively) much less these days, it is amazing.

I have been modeling, including scratch building, plans building and kit building AND ARFing for the last 43 years and greatly enjoy both...and I am one of those guys that needs a 50 model memory in a radio...
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:17 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,387 Posts
Sorry - really daft question. After downloading the latest AirWare update how do I get it onto the SD card? I don't understand why they didn't just put a mini USB port in the DX18.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:21 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchit View Post
Sorry - really daft question. After downloading the latest AirWare update how do I get it onto the SD card? I don't understand why they didn't just put a mini USB port in the DX18.
Just put the SD card in your pc (should have a slot) and copy the file onto it-if you don't have the slot, well....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:22 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,653 Posts
Quote:
You can use an SD card with a PC, Mac, Linux, Android and the browser already in your system.

For USB, you need a separate application for each, with associated development costs, firewall issues, etc.

As a result, the SD interface is far less expensive for your total cost of ownership, provides a more uniform experience, and requires little if any training for end-users. Most already know how to do the few necessary steps.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
Just put the SD card in your pc (should have a slot) and copy the file onto it-if you don't have the slot, well....
USB external memory card readers are relatively inexpensive and work with any OS.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:26 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,846 Posts
Quote:
Amen.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:27 PM
DominicM
Fleet, Hampshire, UK.
Joined May 2003
2,387 Posts
Great. Thanks. I'm obviously not 'most'.
DominicM is offline Find More Posts by DominicM
Old Aug 17, 2012, 03:28 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,229 Posts
Yeah, but if it had a Mini usb, Mickey might object....
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:09 PM
Click eagle to read my blog
Australia, NSW, Kendall
Joined Jul 2012
5,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Joe,

The video showing a "fatal flaw" was made using equipment which didn't show the actual frequencies in use very well. Others with better equipment have since provided videos which refute those claims. To put it simply, it's not an issue. Since DSMX has been released, it's even less of an issue. Does your preferred flight control vendor not support DSMX remotes?

Since all remotes that receive a signal will provide the same data, there's no need for the base to select the "best" data - they're all good. The base can simply use the one that first arrives.

This is an ideal product for a small niche company to make. It's exactly the kind of product I used to make before I came here. Several companies have licensed interfaces to our technology and work with us (PowerBox, BeastX, etc.) - you can get the best of both worlds if you can find a company willing to fill the niche: Small-company agility used licensed big-company technology.

Edit: Just thinking, you might find other interested parties over in DIY Electronics. http://www.rcgroups.com/diy-electronics-199/

Andy
Hi Andy,

I did some serious testing and this will not come as a surprise, the OrangeRX 9CH is not reliable, no point in flogging a dead horse, so back to my original question which you did not really address, I am after a Spektrum sanctioned product, not some DIY product..

I am not convinced by your reply that flying a multicopter FC is a niche market and even if it is, it wont be for long..

You do understand the application, can you suggest a company that has a licensed interface to Spektrum that supplies what I need in order to use my new DX18 to control a multicopter FC.

Are you absolutely certain Spektrum has no plans to release such a product, really ?

DIY is what I am trying to avoid, I can see no real good reason why a Spektrum receiver like the AR9020 [with a different model number and different firmware] could not have the firmware altered to output the received 18 channel raw data which is what we need for flying multicopters without the silly conversion of PWM output on 10 channels back to the raw data and all those cables and hardware which is totally not necessary.

You understand the application, based on what you did before joining Spektrum you know this a relatively simple firmware change, the hardware is already all there, instead of LOG Data, the Data Port outputs exactly what it receives, no ground breaking new technology, just output already existing data in the exact same format it comes out of a satellite receiver except it comes out of the Data Port of the main receiver with 3 satellite receivers attached. Not exactly a huge code rewrite is it.

Leaving it to amateurs to would not in any way enhance Spektrum's reputation nor leaving it to people to get around this gap in Spektrum's product range to solve it using the Orange receiver resulting in more posts about Spektrum unreliability..

Do we need any more threads on this forum from people flying multicopters with Spektrum transmitters bitching about Spektrum reliabilty. Get this project done and your workload on this forum will decrease :-)

To me even coming on this forum to ask you these questions seems ridiculous, this should already be an existing Spektrum.

Even the unreliable OrangeRx 9 CH does exactly that albeit it uses S.bus encoding yet it seems that the manufacturer of my new $799 DX18 is not interested in supporting all the Spektrum transmitter owners who fly multicopters.

I wonder if anyone on this forum agrees with you that the application is a niche market that is just too small for Spektrum to officially tackle.
jabram is offline Find More Posts by jabram
RCG Plus Member