Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:36 PM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Blind Faith?

VP
Or maybe that he has logged it and it works fine. Probably because you keep helis close in.
ncrego is offline Find More Posts by ncrego
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:37 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,317 Posts
Quote:
Blind Faith?VP
Pete, I know you are feeling pretty good right about now but can we just leave it at that and see how this unfolds. Not dissing you, your concerns appear to have some limited foundation. But there may be a cause and a solution that still makes it a good choice.... so TBD.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:43 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Pete, I know you are feeling pretty good right about now but can we just leave it at that and see how this unfolds. Not dissing you, your concerns appear to have some limited foundation. But there may be a cause and a solution that still makes it a good choice.... so TBD.
Anything I may be feeling is completely "Retaliatory" for certain members who know who they are, you know the ones who go on the attack when anyone makes any criticism whatsoever. I feel genuine sympathy for those who have that sick feeling in their stomach because they have a defective product, I know the feeling.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:46 PM
Dave Raines
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Aug 2004
705 Posts
Transmitter "kick stand" for DX-18

Has anyone found an appropriate stand to use on the DX-18? I realize designing something like this may be a little more involved than usual due to the unique nature of the antennae/handle.
Lemmiwinks is offline Find More Posts by Lemmiwinks
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:47 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,468 Posts
Quote:
Blind Faith?

VP
Telemetry. All my helis have the full package. After each flight I check the flight log data. The worst I had on my T-Rex 700 was 1 frame loss, lots of fades on the main RX because it was shielded. Yesterday I repositioned it.
1 frame loss is okay for me. If I ever get more on a RX/Sat combination, then something is wrong.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,879 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemmiwinks View Post
Has anyone found an appropriate stand to use on the DX-18? I realize designing something like this may be a little more involved than usual due to the unique nature of the antennae/handle.
If you find one, please post the info. I'd love to have one too.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 03, 2012, 04:52 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
870 Posts
deleted
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Aug 03, 2012, 05:39 PM
1 OM KAR, SATNAAM
GTA , Ontario
Joined May 2004
309 Posts
OK I Caved in and ordered DX18

Just can't wait any more AAAHHHAAA.

satnaam
1satnaam is offline Find More Posts by 1satnaam
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,879 Posts
I just got an e-mail.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:30 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
347 Posts
New DX18 update released.

DX18 Version 1.01:

Enabled telemetry sensor for GPS, JetCat, and High Current (Amps)
Enabled up to 32-pole motors for the Brushless RPM sensor
Enabled access to more switches as telemetry log starters
Enabled French and Italian languages. Note that these are two separate
downloads (English/German/French or English/Italian)
Improved interchange with DX10t-created SPM files
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
Old Aug 03, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jan 2006
55 Posts
Could someone please tell me how to back up my models before I do the airwave update?
dale69101 is offline Find More Posts by dale69101
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:35 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cheltenham
Joined Apr 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Pedersen View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to retract that statement. My DX18 is NOT performing to my satisfaction, and almost cost me a plane the other day.
I took a larger plane out for a spin (Precision Aerobatics Extra MX), and just rebound it to my DX18 instead of my DX8. No other adjustments made. The plane is equipped with a AR8000 with satellite and telemetry (the set that came with the DX8). Range test went without a problem.
Flew it, which mostly was great, but I suddenly lost control for a second or two. Scary.
Landed and checked the data log via the telemetry screen. I've had 3 holds
Never ever had a hold on that plane before, and I flew it all season last year on the DX8.

Now I was really worried about the DX18 performance. I decided to do a direct comparison today:
I equipped the same plane with an extra AR8000 and satellite, mounted directly on top of the other receiver/satellite. Then I bound the plane-controlling receiver to my DX8, and the spare (without any servos connected) to the DX18. I then monitored both receivers, having an Eagle Tree eLogger record everything (and GPS) during the flight.
I then took the DX8 and flew the plane. I had a friend stand next to me, holding the DX18 as if he was flying the same plane. I really pushed the envelope, and flew more than 800 meters (half a mile) away. I never completely lost control with the DX8, but the DX18 is another story.

I am still crunching the numbers from the logger, but here is a preliminary result showing the two radio link qualities. The blue line is DX8, the red DX18. Don't mind the lack of signal on DX18 in the beginning, I turned it on after I started the logger. The Y-axis show signal quality. 100 is a fully working link without frame loss, and 0 is equivalent to 45 frame losses in one second (the same as a hold).

Now I am really scared of using my DX18 for anything else than small foamies. It obviously hasn't anywhere near the same range as my DX8. Far from it. Yet, it does pass the recommended range check every time I try that.

Could some of this be related to the power output on European transmitters? I note that some of the replies from people who have done comparisons between the dx18 and other transmitters with positive results, appear to be in the US. There may not be enough data out there at the moment, but for signal/ range comparing US transmitters with their higher ERP to the lower output of the European models will produce different results.
Gambler71 is offline Find More Posts by Gambler71
Old Aug 04, 2012, 02:41 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,468 Posts
Since he is in Denmark, I am sure both radios were EU.
Send it in. Something is terribly wrong.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Aug 04, 2012, 03:02 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale69101 View Post
Could someone please tell me how to back up my models before I do the airwave update?
First make sure you have an SD card in the radio.Go into System Setup/Transfer SD Card/Options.You can backup 2 ways.Select the option to Export All or just Export.Like it says Export all will copy all models onto the SD card.This includes all the blank/default ones as well.Just Export alone will copy only the model that is currently selected.It will show which one is going to be copied and a confirm Export button before you actually do the task.
If you do them one by one you will have to go back to model select and select the next then back to SD options Export on and on.

Export=away from radio to SD card
Import=back into radio
aerocal is online now Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Aug 04, 2012, 06:15 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Since he is in Denmark, I am sure both radios were EU.
Send it in. Something is terribly wrong.

I'm Italian, but right now I don't field-tested my DX18 ...... I'm worried .....
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75