HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:36 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Sep 2010
1,169 Posts
Guys, I don't think I did a good job representing my main point in my past posts. It's not that I disagree with the points everyone is making. Can the DX18 be better, YES. But that can be said about every radio or product out in the market. When I started reading this thread I saw allot of negative discussions about the 18. Some were valid point but most were based on single issues only important to said individuals. From a newbies point of view some of the posts made it seem like the 18 is not a good radio. This is what frustrated me the most. In my humble opinion, from a general point of view, it is a very good radio especially for the money.
The most frustrating posts to me are when individuals say that $800 is allot and for that price it should be perfect. But then the same individuals compare the 18 to the JR 12X for $1500 or expect functionality like from the 18MZ for $3000. That is not apples to apples. Call me silly but If I was to purchase an RT for more than $800 it damn well better be better than the 18. Even then the more expensive RTs have short falls that don't stand up to the 18.
All I'm saying is that for the money, I have not found a better RT system than the DX18. In general it does everything I and other pilots need it to do and more.
Vlodek9 is offline Find More Posts by Vlodek9
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:07 AM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,247 Posts
Well I for one praise the finer points and affordable bonuses found in the DX18. It is a fantastic radio; right up until Hitec or Futaba comes up with a radio in this new class .

The market adjustment and price war between Hitec, Spektrum and Futaba has definitly worked to our favour.
There are a number of 12X owners scratching their heads having spent that much for a all metal case but have another radio come with, in some cases even more, for a third the price.

And they are trying to beat Hitecs feature for price, e.g. Navi vs Sti.

But it doesn't mean we never discuss its failing or what we would have preferred to see. We have wish list threads.

In this case Navi is USB. Others are already writing code around it.
They came out the same time. Yes Hitec has its own weaknesses which I do not argue or intend to put one over the other. But by making add ons Apple proprietary it forces either to become the Apple or live without.

Hopefully in time they'll make add ons useful to non Apple users. For the same money that I spend on a IPod, I can get a cheap table with laptop processing power and use it for much more. IPod, not as versatile.
With versatility, am I even spelling that right, there comes more code writters.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 01, 2012, 11:25 AM
United Kingdom, England, Cheltenham
Joined Apr 2007
40 Posts
Good news

Returned my DX18 to Horizon UK on Saturday at the Cosford show. Phoned them today for an update. They have discovered a fault with the RF board.

When you have the problems I described, in your own mind you are 99.9% sure of the circumstances, but there is always a nagging doubt at the back of your mind wondering whether it's something you have done.

Nonetheless, Horizon have dealt with this in a professional and fair manner (so far).

A new transmitter will be headed my way, that's when they have some back in stock. Also I have been told to expect a letter from someone at Horizon UK setting out "next steps".

All positive so far thanks to Horizon.

I'll keep you posted.
Gambler71 is offline Find More Posts by Gambler71
Old Aug 01, 2012, 01:02 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler71 View Post
A new transmitter will be headed my way, that's when they have some back in stock.
Hm. I don't like the last part. They should have their replacement stock. If not, either they needed it or they did not have one.
I understand it is a new radio on the market. And I think there is high demand. But it would be wise to better have some replacement parts handy. (It is way worse with blade helicopters, a friend of mine waited half a year for replacement rotor blades for his blade SR...)

Anyway, to me it seems there may be more RF problems lately. In german forums I read about some DX8's with RF issues....
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:24 AM
Ireland, Co. Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2012
312 Posts
Well I'm planning on getting a DX18, although after reading about 'RF board' problems, then I will be trial flying it with some dumpster models before trusting it on the jet!
Quandry is offline Find More Posts by Quandry
Old Aug 02, 2012, 05:22 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,388 Posts
Mine works, as many other's too. You do the right approach. Try it with cheapos, then with expensiveos
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:42 PM
Certified Propellerhead
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2001
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Pedersen View Post
My conclusion from todays test is that somehow my old DX8 is indeed a better transmitter (RF wise), just as I've suspected in my earlier posts in this thread. However the worse RF performance of my DX18 is absolutely nothing to be concerned about,
I'm sorry, but I have to retract that statement. My DX18 is NOT performing to my satisfaction, and almost cost me a plane the other day.
I took a larger plane out for a spin (Precision Aerobatics Extra MX), and just rebound it to my DX18 instead of my DX8. No other adjustments made. The plane is equipped with a AR8000 with satellite and telemetry (the set that came with the DX8). Range test went without a problem.
Flew it, which mostly was great, but I suddenly lost control for a second or two. Scary.
Landed and checked the data log via the telemetry screen. I've had 3 holds
Never ever had a hold on that plane before, and I flew it all season last year on the DX8.

Now I was really worried about the DX18 performance. I decided to do a direct comparison today:
I equipped the same plane with an extra AR8000 and satellite, mounted directly on top of the other receiver/satellite. Then I bound the plane-controlling receiver to my DX8, and the spare (without any servos connected) to the DX18. I then monitored both receivers, having an Eagle Tree eLogger record everything (and GPS) during the flight.
I then took the DX8 and flew the plane. I had a friend stand next to me, holding the DX18 as if he was flying the same plane. I really pushed the envelope, and flew more than 800 meters (half a mile) away. I never completely lost control with the DX8, but the DX18 is another story.

I am still crunching the numbers from the logger, but here is a preliminary result showing the two radio link qualities. The blue line is DX8, the red DX18. Don't mind the lack of signal on DX18 in the beginning, I turned it on after I started the logger. The Y-axis show signal quality. 100 is a fully working link without frame loss, and 0 is equivalent to 45 frame losses in one second (the same as a hold).

Now I am really scared of using my DX18 for anything else than small foamies. It obviously hasn't anywhere near the same range as my DX8. Far from it. Yet, it does pass the recommended range check every time I try that.
Mikael Pedersen is online now Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen
Old Aug 03, 2012, 02:51 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,783 Posts
Great test. And: Holey crap!

You can save yourself the trouble of 'crunching the numbers' .... your DX18 is broken (or spektrum has a major problem).
Send it in, then (please!) perform the same test again!

(in my opinion spektrum should have trippled the QC on RF issues after the whole DX8 debacle, these things should simply not happen.)
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,013 Posts
I don't think that everyone is having this kind of issue. Before I bought mine, I searched posts and this was the review that convinced me to buy it. This guy is flew it and saw better performance on the DX18 than on his just serviced 12X:

Quote:
I have the DX18 now.. its a super radio.. Its fully configurable, much more than the 12X.. but the biggest advantage I can see is the dual polarization.. I am seeing significantly better reception overall.. I have had it for a few days now..

Example: I flew my Habu (AR7000 with data) a few flights with 12X, which was just back home from full system check/transmitter board replacement, antenna replacement, and DSMX upgrade.. Of course the 12X performed flawlessly, and typical numbers for a 5 min flight are almost always 15-20 for A and 30 - 50 for B.. I fly it high and far out. Im seeing a definite improvement on DSM2 there.. the first flight was 0 and 6. second flight 2 and 8.. and so on.. so about 50 to 75% improvement in fades..

To me, that is the sole reason to upgrade, along with all the programming additions.. Although we are using version1.00 of the software, I do believe HH will upgrade the software as people come up with an easier way to do things... example: the gear interface needs a little work.. a couple of shortcuts for setting up Wheels with nothing else as the default instead of gear doors.. Another will be Crow.. The sailplane programming is very robust, but Crow in the airplane mode will require a tweak to the software I think..

Being able to configure any button to any function is cool.. If you use a 12 channel receiver, you have full functionality/speed on the X+ channels up to 12..

I recommend each person figure out their own channel assignment methods and kinda use it over and over.. for instance, I have elected to put the landing gear on channel 10 on my jets.. that puts 9 primary channels on the flight controls.. this way I can use a 9 channel receiver with Xplus, and channelize the first 9 channels for surfaces.. It takes some getting used to thinking outside the box. The monitor menu shows first 10 channels, then the Xplus menue shows the remainder, so I put stuff on that page that is set once and forget type things like Gear, gyro, smoke... like the manual says to do..

Gyro programming takes some thought as well.. It can be configured to do about anything, but it takes some thought.. It can be triggered with buttons, curves, mixes.. whatever..

It has a ton of mixes, so you can configure it any way you want.. It self mixes dual surfaces like dual elevator, rudders, ailerons, flaps.. then you can assign them to any channel.. I like that alot.. The servo monitor page for first 10 channels is visible on almost every programming page, so you can see the mixes happening real time instead of taking the risk live. It also has absolute travel mode, which limits a servo in the event of an overtravel due to a mix or something.. its off by default but can be activated..

It has the standard 5 flight modes, but you can mix and match common or individual trims in each mode..example: I have individual pitch and roll trim per flight mode but common rudder trim.. this way its easy to trim out any pitch and roll changes with the flaps in mid or down (fm 2/3) separately from go fast flight mode 1.

The Model selection is via a quick menu, so you dont have to cycle power anymore.. thats nice.. the gymbals are outstanding.. the BUTTON from the 10X days is BACK !!.. the clutter is less, and the Lipo system legacy from the DX8 is great..

Its a good design for 2/3 the cost of a 12X.. I will be giving my feedback to HH soon.. we already discussed the Gear Programming improvement. Its also nice, like the DX8, to be able to squirt new updates via the card..

Again, the reception improvement with the dual diversity Vertical and horizontal polarized signals is a HUGE improvement in complex airplanes with alot of stuff in them.

I will report out on DSMX as soon as I get it going.. just got a few X receivers.

In the end, I will probably be selling the 12X because I have the 18 and 8 now.. they are so similar its easy to swap back and forth. So now its a function of learning the menus..

my quick look 2c..goose
ncrego is online now Find More Posts by ncrego
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:07 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
NC, the telemetry thingy was mailed yesterday!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:08 PM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,013 Posts
Thanks, I got the email. I guess I'll know what kind of reception I'm getting once it gets here.
ncrego is online now Find More Posts by ncrego
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:09 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,428 Posts
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:16 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncrego View Post
I don't think that everyone is having this kind of issue. Before I bought mine, I searched posts and this was the review that convinced me to buy it. This guy is flew it and saw better performance on the DX18 than on his just serviced 12X:
I am not saying everyone is having this issue, I am saying that nobody should have this issue. And as a company that has only just overcome a serious matter in this area, I would make damn sure that nobody does.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:22 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,388 Posts
Send it in. Maybe there is something wrong with one of the antennas. Lucky you had no crash....
I think I have more fades than with my DX18, but I account this to the diversity function. As long as the frame losses and holds are zero with my bigger helis, I'm alright.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 03:32 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
Send it in. Maybe there is something wrong with one of the antennas. Lucky you had no crash....
I think I have more fades than with my DX18, but I account this to the diversity function. As long as the frame losses and holds are zero with my bigger helis, I'm alright.
Blind Faith?

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)