HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Cheltenham
Joined Apr 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fig Jam View Post
Gambler71

did you check the ICE Data Log for a BEC voltage drop?

Mike
I did download the data from the controller after the first crash but have not done it for the second one, which again was a CC but the 100a version.

With the CC graph viewer the only data it allows you to view is voltage, ripple, current, amp hours, watts, temp, rpm, throttle in and power out. No tab for BEC voltage, am I missing something? The voltage did sag at one point to 21v but still should have been able to supply 6v to the BEC. I have looked at the BEC settings and it was set to 6v. Also the I sent the controller back to CC and they checked it out and said the controller and BEC was fine and returned it to me.

Crash 2 was using a 2s A123 pack which I purchased new last month, so no BEC involved.

Thanks

Dave
Gambler71 is offline Find More Posts by Gambler71
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Apr 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post
We're you able to retrieve the planes to see if the receiver logged any holds? Did you range check before flying these planes with their last configuration?

-Randy
Randy, both range checked fine. Do you have to recover the receiver data log straight after the flight? In that you land and look at the data before you power the receiver down? Or will it still be stored in the receiver after it has been powered down? I haven't got a data log but can borrow one.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
Joined Apr 2007
40 Posts
Quote:
Andy,

I am only asking about a potential link because I seem to have both and haven't heard the root cause to either.

For my testing to compare the DX18 with my DX6i I was testing DSMX, so I didn't use my STi given that the DX6i only works with STi in DSM2 mode. I also wanted to ensure my telemetry module didn't interfere with reception in any way.

I tested the AR600 in two foam planes with same setup as from the factory. I then replaced the AR600 in one of the planes with a brand new AR6210 (with satellite) with the same results.

I had previously tested my DX18 using the telemetry module a few weeks back experiencing holds at 30 meters, but that was when I was in a bit of denial that my radio would have such an issue, so I didn't take it seriously. I also had other electronics crammed into the model, so I thought it wasnt a conclusive test.

All my testing has been focused on holds. When comparing the two transmitters, I was seeing holds that we're visible from the plane's control surfaces locking in place. I then looked that the receivers to count the number of holds per the blinking red light. I also put my planes in the air and found I was getting holds at full power, too, with DX18 but not my DX6i. I flew these same planes over 2000ft this weekend with my DX6i and did not have a single hold (checked receivers after each flight) after flying for over 3hrs. On the DX18 I had moments where I was afraid I would lose my plane.

I sent my radio in late last week with a litany of info regarding my testing, so I'm hoping we can get to the bottom of both of these issues soon.

-Randy
Randy, have you got your radio back from HH or any reply on your test data?

Cheers

Dave
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, NH, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2002
1,013 Posts
I hate to hear about you losing 2 planes like that. To be fair, things happen with all radios, I had something similar happen with a new Futaba 9c a looooong time ago. Turns out some internal wire wasnt plugged in all the way (according to Futaba when I sent it in). Sucks thatit happens, but sometimes one slips past qc.
ncrego is online now Find More Posts by ncrego
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:07 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler71 View Post
Randy, both range checked fine. Do you have to recover the receiver data log straight after the flight? In that you land and look at the data before you power the receiver down? Or will it still be stored in the receiver after it has been powered down? I haven't got a data log but can borrow one.
It must be used before powering down the receiver.

-Randy
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambler71 View Post
Randy, have you got your radio back from HH or any reply on your test data?

Cheers

Dave
Horizon received my radio on Thursday per UPS. I haven't heard anything, yet.

-Randy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 01:40 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Please keep us up to date. Im interested on the results. Have you sent the receivers too???
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:28 PM
Joined Jan 2011
403 Posts
Quote:
Horizon received my radio on Thursday per UPS. I haven't heard anything, yet.

-Randy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
Please keep us up to date. Im interested on the results. Have you sent the receivers too???
No. The receivers work flawlessly with my other transmitter, including a brand new AR6210 I bought for the purpose of testing my DX18. -Randy
Old Jul 22, 2012, 02:56 PM
Certified Propellerhead
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2001
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Pedersen View Post
I still would like to be able to measure maximum consecutive frame loss length. Is the data protocol out of the receiver bind/data plug available somewhere? I could probably make a small microcontroller record that information.
Now I have done exactly that, and I've made some tests with my DX18 today.
First taking my FMS BF-109 mentioned earlier (equipped with an AR7610 + satellite with rather poor reception).
First flight resulted in 92 frame losses (and no holds). However, my extended logger told me that the longest streak of frame loss was 17 frames. The second worst was 10 consecutive frames lost, then 7, and three cases of 5 frames lost. That doesn't seem too scary. I am not quite near to a hold situation.
Second flight (not so long as the first) had 27 frame losses, but the longest was only 6 frames.

And now to a direct comparison: DX18 vs DX8.
Plane used: A Kyosho Edge 540 Red Bull foamie with an AR600.
DX18 "scored" 32 frame losses on 7 minutes, the longest being 2 frames.
I rebound the plane to my DX8 (also in DSMX mode, as DX18), and changed battery.
DX8 got nothing more than 3 frame losses on 7 minutes, all three being single loss incidents.

My conclusion from todays test is that somehow my old DX8 is indeed a better transmitter (RF wise), just as I've suspected in my earlier posts in this thread. However the worse RF performance of my DX18 is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, and I'll continue to migrate the rest of my fleet to the new transmitter and stop worrying anymore.
EDIT: This is no longer my opinion. Please see my follow-up in post #2647 on page 177

When I went back to the DX8 for the comparison flight, I really felt the difference of the two transmitters in my hands. Going to the DX18 in the beginning was very nice, but now that I am used to it, switching back to the DX8 felt horrible
Mikael Pedersen is online now Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen
Last edited by Mikael Pedersen; Aug 03, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 03:58 PM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
the difference in RF performance could be linked to the fact that the DX18 has two antennas, and that transmits alternately on one and on the other?
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,387 Posts
But that also should not produce consecutive frame losses, because the antenna is changed every frame.
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jul 22, 2012, 04:10 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
My opinion is that this could not be a brownout
Brownout voltage is greatly reduced with dsmx. 1st case might be
Also the reconnection of the dsmx rx is real fast. Most probably a radio issue and rf board..
Ioh and btw you most probabky wont hear from them. They will fix or replace the radio and send it back with a note of what they did.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:48 PM
United States, OH, North Olmsted
Joined Feb 2009
126 Posts
Telemetry

All,

I finally got a chance to use the DX18. I flew a 30cc gas aerobatic type plane. I previously flown this plane with a DX7 but no telemetry.

First time using telemetry (TM1000). Please interpret these telemetry results:

Receiver is a AR7010.

Flight 1:
12 minutes flying time
F0
H0

A-10
B--
L- 2727
R--

Flight 2
13 minutes flying time
F0
H0

A-23
B--
L- 6050
R--

Questions:
1) I know that L is for Antenna fades on the external antenna. Is the external antenna the satellite antenna?

2) Also, is it possible to get zero frame losses during a flight?

3) I had no issues or glitches during the flights but should I reposition the satellite antenna?

Thanks.
Steam28 is offline Find More Posts by Steam28
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:56 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Yes you should reposition thesatelite. You main receuver unitfades are great. The kowest ive seen so far.
The sat fades is the highest ever.
You were actually flying with the main receiver
0 fades umpossible.. But the 23 fades is actually an impressive number..
Old Jul 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam28 View Post
2) Also, is it possible to get zero frame losses during a flight?
I flew my Twin Otter the other day with zero frame losses on two eight minute flights, just like your post shows---F0

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=283
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36