HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:06 AM
Joined Jan 2006
55 Posts
Had my first flight with the DX18 today, 7 channel DSM2 and the RF performance was flawless. IMO, antenna B recorded 3 antenna B 9 with no frame losses and no holds, similar readings on the second flight.

I do have a small glitch on my screen, when scroll with the wheel the next line to the selected line has a small glitch. Not to worried about it at this stage
dale69101 is offline Find More Posts by dale69101
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:07 AM
Joined Jan 2006
55 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it might be a software thing rather than a hardware problem. Maybe it will be as simple as a small fix in a future update?
dale69101 is offline Find More Posts by dale69101
Old Jul 14, 2012, 04:33 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
i don't think it's a software problem, because onli some radios have this problem and the sw is the same...
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:20 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post
i don't think it's a software problem, because onli some radios have this problem and the sw is the same...
Your Poll will be interesting.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1691221

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 05:42 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale69101 View Post
Had my first flight with the DX18 today, 7 channel DSM2 and the RF performance was flawless. IMO, antenna B recorded 3 antenna B 9 with no frame losses and no holds, similar readings on the second flight.

I do have a small glitch on my screen, when scroll with the wheel the next line to the selected line has a small glitch. Not to worried about it at this stage
Although a small issue I would like to think a radio of this price would have no such issues. I'm looking to buy a DX18 but it is little issues like this that make me want to wait as I'd just as soon not have to dela with recall after recall and fixes like the DX8 ran into.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 06:23 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Although a small issue I would like to think a radio of this price would have no such issues. I'm looking to buy a DX18 but it is little issues like this that make me want to wait as I'd just as soon not have to dela with recall after recall and fixes like the DX8 ran into.
It was a "Little Issue" that made me return my DX18, literally, the "Little Text".

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663179

VP
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:10 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiloop View Post
As with the delay, also the next feature is more needed in a F3C type of flying. The hovering manouvers require easily 12 or more pitch/throttle curve points. Andy, would it be possible to increase the amount from seven? Right now F3C pilots need to stick hideously expensive transmitters for this feature. Even having nine points would be great.
You do realize that DX8's (not 18) have been flown quite successfully at these events and finished in the wood, right?

Quote:
Third one, I have never used the training features, can I connect dx18 to a dx7 for training?
Yes, it works fine. All the Spektrum and JR radios will work together in any trainer/slave combination.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
It was a "Little Issue" that made me return my DX18, literally, the "Little Text".

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1663179

VP
The "Perils of Pete " are an ongoing anthology which have capured the hearts and souls of many-
I certainly hope he finds the perfect equipment which will provide the comfort and solace and ease of use he desires.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You do realize that DX8's (not 18) have been flown quite successfully at these events and finished in the wood
Andy
Thanks for your response. For sure that is the case, many people use quite linear curves. But there are many who would like to have quite detailed ones. Either they opt to buy an expensive radio set or fly with not so optimal (for them) curves.

I've been just wondering why there are so few transmitters with capability to have detailed curves, as to my understanding it would be just a software feature. Would be great to have such an option here.
Antiloop is offline Find More Posts by Antiloop
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:11 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,974 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for your response. For sure that is the case, many people use quite linear curves. But there are many who would like to have quite detailed ones. Either they opt to buy an expensive radio set or fly with not so optimal (for them) curves.

I've been just wondering why there are so few transmitters with capability to have detailed curves, as to my understanding it would be just a software feature. Would be great to have such an option here.
It seems like it would most certianly be all just software. A lot of the DX18 vs DX8 features are no doubt just software. With software driven radios we have now it relaly is more sellign features for X dollars than it is providing all the hardware can do. Vendors would prefer to sell 3 radios at different price points so people pay more to get additional features. Spektrum seems to be pushing this more and more.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:33 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The "Perils of Pete " are an ongoing anthology which have capured the hearts and souls of many-
I certainly hope he finds the perfect equipment which will provide the comfort and solace and ease of use he desires.
Thanks for your "Concern", I am awaiting the arrival of the JR XG11. I have admired JR radios at my field for some time now.

VP
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Vendors would prefer to sell 3 radios at different price points so people pay more to get additional features. Spektrum seems to be pushing this more and more.
True, and understandable as well. With this price range I would like to see a bit better features here. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but with JR/Spektrum line there is no option with +12 curve points at all?
Antiloop is offline Find More Posts by Antiloop
Old Jul 14, 2012, 08:45 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,974 Posts
Quote:
True, and understandable as well. With this price range I would like to see a bit better features here. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but with JR/Spektrum line there is no option with +12 curve points at all?
It is understandable to a degree but I find Spektrum trying to nickle and dime lately, holding out features on radio A so they can push radio B. But I guess they will take things as far as the market allows.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6,581 Posts
Quote:
It is understandable to a degree but I find Spektrum trying to nickle and dime lately, holding out features on radio A so they can push radio B. But I guess they will take things as far as the market allows.
Thank goodness none of this "packaging of features" occurs in other products!!
(let me count the ways ----)
Old Jul 14, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Oct 2007
6,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Thanks for your "Concern", I am awaiting the arrival of the JR XG11. I have admired JR radios at my field for some time now.

VP
Looky thar -over the fence-- the grass appears much greener !!!