HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:30 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale69101 View Post
Also for the HH guys are there plans to include telemetry into future RXs rather than having to buy the add on.
good question?
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:32 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
My thoughts, exactly, but I seem to recall reading somewhere it can't be done. I hope it can!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:37 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnathanSwift View Post
My thoughts, exactly, but I seem to recall reading somewhere it can't be done. I hope it can!
Wouldn't that add to the cost of the Rx and increase the size to accommodate the extra ports? Not everyone would be using these Rx's with Telemetry.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:39 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
O.K., fair point: how about incorporating main battery voltage, only?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
that's what i need! :-)
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:48 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
Wouldn't that add to the cost of the Rx and increase the size to accommodate the extra ports? Not everyone would be using these Rx's with Telemetry.
Dont buy them then.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:49 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
Sadly, it's the only reason I use an A 9 for my bigger models: I have a neat little voice module, and a little Korean gal constantly gives me voltage so my sad old eyes don't have to try and look down!
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:51 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,123 Posts
Quote:
I like that idea and perhaps relaying the Flight Log data.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:54 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
Quandries: maybe I'll just get out the ole mailorder bride book and find the smallest gal, who can sit in the plane and yell loudly, "LVC coming up, LVC coming up!"
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Dont buy them then.

VP
I like the idea of full Telemetry in the Rx, but I would suspect that it is kept separate for the reasons I mentioned and to sell more TM1000 modules. They are not going to offer two versions of the same Rx, one with and one without the TM1000 built in, so you cannot avoid buying them in whatever form they are offered. This is true with any manufacturer's radio. Orange is not an option for me.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
I bought the A 9 just to have "easier" telemetry, since I really love the ease of use of the Spektrum system: put another way, Spektrum, for me, is the easier system to use, and I'd be 100% Spektrum if it had something competitive (simple, receiver-based telemetry).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:07 AM
Joined Apr 2004
1,123 Posts
Quote:
Quandries: maybe I'll just get out the ole mailorder bride book and find the smallest gal, who can sit in the plane and yell loudly, "LVC coming up, LVC coming up!"
I have a fellow club member who has a B17 with four OS91's. He has an 11x radio, but no iPhone. He has a 3rd party Air Speed indicator in the aircraft and an assistant holds a receiver with an LCD readout of the Air Speed. The assistant yells out the Air Speed, constantly, throughout the flight. He has a BlackBerry phone so I do not think he will buy an iPhone or iPod, and the STI module, anytime soon.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:09 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,803 Posts
Quote:
I have a fellow club member who has a B17 with four OS91's. He has an 11x radio, but no iPhone. He has a 3rd party Air Speed indicator in the aircraft and an assistant holds a receiver with an LCD readout of the Air Speed. The assistant yells out the Air Speed, constantly, throughout the flight. He has a BlackBerry phone so I do not think he will buy an iPhone or iPod, and the STI module, anytime soon.
Maybe I can lend him my catalog-there is a nice little gal on page 57, not too old, nor plump, with a loud voice....
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:23 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
I like the idea of full Telemetry in the Rx, but I would suspect that it is kept separate for the reasons I mentioned and to sell more TM1000 modules. They are not going to offer two versions of the same Rx, one with and one without the TM1000 built in, so you cannot avoid buying them in whatever form they are offered. This is true with any manufacturer's radio. Orange is not an option for me.
Maybe they will offer 2 versions of a Rx, assume nothing.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dale69101 View Post
any other manuals that would be helpful.
Download and spend a day with the DX18 programming guide and associated DX18 download from Kennedy Composites. http://www.kennedycomposites.com/transmitters.htm along with your DX18 outfit with 6 servos hooked up.

OK, it's for thermal sailplanes really, but a 6-servo sailplane needs lots of mixing and other features and the guide walks you through a high proportion of the DX18's capabilities. It'll help if you can fix up a plane or a bench rig with 2 ails and 2 flaps to see what's going on. The download is a template, so does need user input to make it work properly with controls moving and behaving correctly. I printed out all 27 pages of the guide as I'm old enough to read paper easier than a screen.

I've flown props and EDF and turbine jets for many years using most of the capabilities of a JR 10X and only got started with slope soarers a few months ago. I was surprised to find that glider programming can be rather more complex than that of most powered planes. Initially I found the more extensive capabilities of the DX18 mind-boggling, but the aforementioned guide and download eventually proved to be a first class learning aid, despite some frustrating periods when I couldn't get my ageing brain to think laterally enough.

Quote:
Is the manual for the DX8 extensive and relevant?
Not really. My DX8 was a useful taster for modern Tx programming when I moved over from my JR 10X, but it's nowhere near as extensive as the DX18.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon