HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Apr 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
I also hat an AR12010, and got fades on one satellite even when sitting 5m around the TX. Swapped the sat, no fades anymore. Maybe the sat has an issue.

@VP: As long as there are no frame losses, I have no problem with fades.
I have found that sometimes the sat cable and connector are dodgy either unplug the connector and re plug back in or replace the cable. If that does not work then I replace the sat
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2012, 11:55 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
Quote:
I also hat an AR12010, and got fades on one satellite even when sitting 5m around the TX. Swapped the sat, no fades anymore. Maybe the sat has an issue.

@VP: As long as there are no frame losses, I have no problem with fades.
Fades arent a big issue in themselves.If one antenna is having a huge number more than another it may mean you could reposition to make them all more even.A few frame losses arent an issue either as long as you arent getting a huge number of them.It becomes a problem when you are getting large numbers of consecutive Frame Losses.You need 45 Frame Losses in a row before the Rx goes into Hold.So if your dropping a Frame here and there its not really an issue.
Analyzing Flightlog data is kind of one of those things you have to apply a little logic to.
If your having fade on all antennas at the same time it will lose Frames.
If you lose 45 consecutive Frames you get a Hold.If you continue to lose Frames it will stay in Hold until it gets good Frames again.
So simply seeing X number of Fades or Frame losses doesnt necessarily mean there is a huge problem.
If you have one antenna that has a huge number of fades it may be forcing the Rx to operate on the one(s) with less fades most of the time.It may also disallow the Rx to reject multipathing as well as having multiple solid antenna performance.
If you have an impending loss of control issue your probably going to see a Hold long before it becomes an extended Hold.
If your seeing Frame Losses it may be a good idea to try to determine if they are consecutive losses or if it is just one here and there.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jul 09, 2012, 12:01 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
I have found that sometimes the sat cable and connector are dodgy either unplug the connector and re plug back in or replace the cable. If that does not work then I replace the sat
Very true.Ive found that many times if your getting huge fades on one antenna that it may not be due to its positioning.Reseating or swapping a cable usually clears it up.Especially if the fades were acceptable in the past and just all of a sudden start getting worse.It could also mean the remote itself is getting weak.
I havent run into that yet.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Jul 09, 2012, 01:37 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Fades arent a big issue in themselves.If one antenna is having a huge number more than another it may mean you could reposition to make them all more even.A few frame losses arent an issue either as long as you arent getting a huge number of them.It becomes a problem when you are getting large numbers of consecutive Frame Losses.You need 45 Frame Losses in a row before the Rx goes into Hold.So if your dropping a Frame here and there its not really an issue.
Analyzing Flightlog data is kind of one of those things you have to apply a little logic to.
If your having fade on all antennas at the same time it will lose Frames.
If you lose 45 consecutive Frames you get a Hold.If you continue to lose Frames it will stay in Hold until it gets good Frames again.
So simply seeing X number of Fades or Frame losses doesnt necessarily mean there is a huge problem.
If you have one antenna that has a huge number of fades it may be forcing the Rx to operate on the one(s) with less fades most of the time.It may also disallow the Rx to reject multipathing as well as having multiple solid antenna performance.
If you have an impending loss of control issue your probably going to see a Hold long before it becomes an extended Hold.
If your seeing Frame Losses it may be a good idea to try to determine if they are consecutive losses or if it is just one here and there.
If I have the RX and sats lying naked on the table and one sat produces lots of fades (and even blinks), the sat has an issue
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jul 09, 2012, 03:28 PM
Joined Jul 2011
26 Posts
For a vbar heli pilot, not even the improved servo menus are much benefit. Since I don't do scale, the only reasons I would upgrade are for the antenna and the overall quality level. The DX8 feels much better than the DX6i especially the gimbals, but feels exactly the same as the cheaper DX7s. IS there a big improvement in quality in going from the DX8 to the DX18? I love how the 12x gimbals feel in quality vs. my DX8.
magbarn is offline Find More Posts by magbarn
Old Jul 09, 2012, 04:11 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,316 Posts
I have had my DX18 for a week now and the 18 is to the 8 as the 8 is to the 6i..
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 09, 2012, 06:30 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,410 Posts
Yes, the DX8 felt very good, but the DX18 feels a little bit better. Also, the gimbals are slightly tilted outwards. And the sticks are way sharper, they stick perfect to your fingers.
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:54 AM
Italy
Joined Nov 2009
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post

BTW, I was supposed to receive a phone call from Horizon today regarding the screen glitch, but it appears they didn't get around to calling me given they are now closed. A real bummer...as I clearly have more than a cosmetic defect and will not be flying the radio any further.

-Randy
Still any update form Horizon?
rillo75 is offline Find More Posts by rillo75
Old Jul 10, 2012, 01:53 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rillo75 View Post
Still any update form Horizon?
Nothing, yet. Looks I need to call them again. -Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Jul 2011
26 Posts
Quote:
Yes, the DX8 felt very good, but the DX18 feels a little bit better. Also, the gimbals are slightly tilted outwards. And the sticks are way sharper, they stick perfect to your fingers.
I dunno if 'a little bit better' is enough for me to spring the $500 difference between selling my DX8 and picking up the DX18. Problem is that the main LHS that sold high end heli stuff went out of business. The other local LHS only carry low-end radios and consider the DX8 top-of-the-line. (They don't even carry 'old' hi-end JR radios) In other words, I have to either drive 90 miles or use other people's experiences to try to get a 'feel' for the DX18.
magbarn is offline Find More Posts by magbarn
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:51 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,519 Posts
I've got my eye on the 18, but I'm lying in the weeds until the "dust" settles.

How's that for mixed metaphors!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
I dunno if 'a little bit better' is enough for me to spring the $500 difference between selling my DX8 and picking up the DX18. Problem is that the main LHS that sold high end heli stuff went out of business. The other local LHS only carry low-end radios and consider the DX8 top-of-the-line. (They don't even carry 'old' hi-end JR radios) In other words, I have to either drive 90 miles or use other people's experiences to try to get a 'feel' for the DX18.
My two LHS are 70 and 80 miles away. Ha, "local"...

I own a DX8 and I got to play with the DX18 for quite some time. I will say the DX18 feels like the DX8, but with fine leather, heated and cooled seats, power adjustable lumbar, leather wrapped steering wheel, and knurled back massagers. LOL!
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:08 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
For a vbar heli pilot, not even the improved servo menus are much benefit. Since I don't do scale, the only reasons I would upgrade are for the antenna and the overall quality level. The DX8 feels much better than the DX6i especially the gimbals, but feels exactly the same as the cheaper DX7s. IS there a big improvement in quality in going from the DX8 to the DX18? I love how the 12x gimbals feel in quality vs. my DX8.
Despite having a larger screen, the text is smaller on the DX18.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:40 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,793 Posts
Oh yes, lets go into that again.
I'm sure are aware how everyone appreciates your contributions, especially this particular point.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:48 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
IS there a big improvement in quality in going from the DX8 to the DX18?
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Oh yes, lets go into that again.
I'm sure are aware how everyone appreciates your contributions, especially this particular point.
I am replying to magbarns question, what are you contributing?

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)