SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:02 PM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You need the remote receivers. We make sailplane-specific receivers like the AR6255 that are intended for close quarters.

Andy
Hi Andy

By "close quarters" do you mean skinny-fuselage installations with no room for remotes, or close-in (ie short range) flying?

My normal understanding of what you wrote would be the latter, but of course I'm hoping that you meant the former, as I have two of these AR6255 Rx's in 2.5m slope soarers. I bought the 6255s because the spec on the Horizon UK website says that they're full range Rx's. http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...ceiversP2.html

And I really need them to be full range when flying the models from cliff-edge sites over the ocean!!

Sorry for the dumb question, but you know what George Bernard Shaw said about England and America - two countries divided by a common language!

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:13 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,663 Posts
The former, since in context the OP was complaining about lack of room (close quarters) in his model.

In a 2.5m sloper you aren't concerned for weight - why don't you use an AR9310? That's exactly the intended application.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:14 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,916 Posts
Tight space, no extra room.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 02, 2012, 06:01 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,620 Posts
The AR7610/AR7600 or AR8000's fit well in F3F/B fuses as well, and I can speak from experience and in confidence recommending them.
They use a single satellite each and work well.
I normally put the main Rx antenna forward on the bottom of the fuse under the battery, and the satellite behind the fuse servos.
My blog has a LOT of build pics of installs.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Jul 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
428 Posts
Screen Glitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Checked mine and at 7.7 volts it is rock solid. When I first got the radio I played around with it until the battery went to warning. I was in and out of the servo setup screen and am sure I would have noticed anything dramatic like your video shows.
Thanks for the info. That gives me some hope that I can get my radio fixed through Horizon.

As it turns out, I think the technician that worked on my DX18 may be wrong about this issue being driven by battery voltage. The battery was low when I retrieved the UPS box, BUT the entire transmitter was warm from sitting outside in the summer heat (in desert shade)...that got me to thinking.

So, through some experimentation yesterday, I found that the temperature of the DX18 has a DRAMATIC impact on the screen glitching. At a voltage of 8.0, I left my DX18 in the shade outdoors to get to get to 100F per my infrared thermometer. This resulted in glitching that was worse than my posted video (servo screen was ridiculous). Then, I cooled it in the fridge to 65 degrees (not low enough for condensation here). The glitches 100% disappeared on the servo screen and showed very slightly on the main screen.

To anyone else who is inspecting a DX18 for this issue, please ensure you have your radio on for a few minutes to warm up. At room temperature, if the radio is on for less than a minute or two, you may not notice it.

Thanks!

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Anyway the video can be posted in a way that's easier for others to view.
I'm willing to do that...what would be easier?

-Randy
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:13 PM
Joined Jan 2011
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem View Post
I have them, too. Not too dramatic, but noticeable. No reason to send my radio in, unless there is a fix for it. Okay for a radio in this price segment ? Nope.
I can also notice some waves running through the screen when I dim the backlight. Also no big deal (since I use the backlight mostly on 100%), but annoying.
Maybe it is dependent on the region (mine is an European) ? And US do not have this problem ?
At least the RF link works better than the DX8 in the beginning.....
Mine is a US model purchased at a local hobby shop. I invested in the DX18 because I want a radio I can use for a long time without running into significant limitations like my previous two radios. I want to be finished with radio shopping and focus on flying!

-Randy
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:46 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,528 Posts
I have had my DX18 out for many hours in 95-100 degree days with no evidence of flicker on the screen.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:57 PM
Joined Jan 2011
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
I have had my DX18 out for many hours in 95-100 degree days with no evidence of flicker on the screen.
That is great to know given those are similar to my conditions for flying right now. Much appreciated!

-Randy
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:06 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,504 Posts
Quote:
Anyway the video can be posted in a way that's easier for others to view.
What was the problem with seeing the video?
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:23 AM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas b View Post
i have had my dx18 out for many hours in 95-100 degree days with no evidence of flicker on the screen.
+ 1
dfrazier is online now Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Jul 03, 2012, 04:57 AM
Joined Aug 2000
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The former, since in context the OP was complaining about lack of room (close quarters) in his model.

In a 2.5m sloper you aren't concerned for weight - why don't you use an AR9310? That's exactly the intended application.

Andy
Thanks Andy

The 9310 isn't listed on the Horizon UK website. The 6255 is the biggest Rx that'll fit in a RCRCM Tomcat along with battery, two servos and a ballast tube. The 6200 (I own two) antenna configuration won't fit, and it needs a remote for which there's no room even if it's pushed down the fuselage boom on an extension. The 9310 is probably rather bigger anyway. Also I needed two Rx's and the 6-chan is much cheaper than the 9-chan!

Sherman's 6-servo sailplane program for the DX18 is going to make my Tomcat and Dorado slopers rock!

Thanks for all your help in this thread Andy.

Gordon
Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Gordon
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:39 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,916 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
What was the problem with seeing the video?
The problem is the ability to view it period on a mobile device and can't view .MOV at work.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:27 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,504 Posts
Quote:
The problem is the ability to view it period on a mobile device and can't view .MOV at work.
Give this a shot.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:01 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
8,232 Posts
Much easier to see: that would bother me in a new, $800 product. Send it in for repair!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift