SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:45 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimog View Post
Andy,

So if I understand correctly I should have the first sequence to deal with the doors (only mains have doors), then sequence the mains of the gear door position and lastly have the tail retract off the position of one of the mains? Does that sound right?
That's one way, and it would work.

Given this new info, I would run 2 sequencers.

One would be the as-provided demo for one side of the plane with only perhaps a change to the time duration. WHL and DOR would be almost unchanged. The second would be a copy of it for the WHL channel, with slight changes to the points near the end to achieve the different left/right timing.

The DOR on the second sequence would be renamed to the TW and would have the appropriate up/down commands for the tail wheel.

I'd either use a Y cable or a copy of DOR to control the inner doors.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:05 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Ok, but if I didn't want to Y anything (got plenty of available channels, ar9020 + x-plus 8), would I still be able to do it with 2 sequences or 3 would be required? If I understand correctly each sequence is able to drive two separate physical channels?
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:15 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,259 Posts
There are several ways to skin the cat.

The easiest is to do the "Y" in the tx. Just make a copy of DOR in the Channel Assignment screens. It's easy, and ensures that the doors close together. If you want the doors to close a little differently, you can do that with the Servo Speed functions.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
Canada, BC, Coquitlam
Joined Dec 2009
442 Posts
Got it! Thanks Andy.
Minimog is offline Find More Posts by Minimog
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:38 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
My dx18 got lots of positive comments and admiration at the Warbirds over North Texas event last weekend at the North Dallas R/C club site....great event. A couple of guys did not care for the TX antenna until I explained the TX antenna diversity feature to them and mentioned that the new antenna is a lot less likely to ever get damaged... Then they appeared to like it better!

Like the feel and balance of the DX18 more and more. I normally fly without a neck strap and the balance is perfect for me. I had two warbirds up and working in the DX18: my H9 F6F and Starmax A-1 Skyraider. Now have 6 models on the DX18 and every time I put one in there, I like the programming more and more.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Jun 22, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:44 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Jan 2004
1,001 Posts
That is one great local event!
eroeder is offline Find More Posts by eroeder
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Twin Otter

Wanted:

Five flap positiions: UP, 10, 20, 30, 40 degrees (because it is scale)

Differential Thrust mixed to Rudder

Aileron Droop

RUD-AIL mix for crosswind

Nose wheel is just "Y" connected to RUD, I achieved all the taming down of steering mechanically.

Dual Elevator servos that have to be opposite travel directions (not my choice, just the way the aircraft was constructed/configured)

Flaps, Droop, and Elevator offset to move at slow speed (each reaching their target at the same time)

Sequential use of Flight mode switches so all my actions are of the same format that I have been using since my first computer radio 15 years ago. Up/Away From Me for "flying" and Down/Towards Me for "landing" is the convention I have always used. What you referred to as "Panic Mode", I want to be all the same direction of stick movement, not have one towards me and another away from me on the primary switch.

This is the way I want the F-Mode switches to work:

B in 0/C in 0--FMode1
B in 1/C in 0--FMode2
B in 2/C in 0--FMode3
B in 2/C in 1--FMode4
B in 2/C in 2--FMode5

I expect that all my desires for Dual Elevators and Differential thrust would be easy to do in Acro but the lack of assignability of the primary F-Mode switch in Acro is what drove me to try it in Sail.
When you get all or most of that worked out, will you share it for my Twin Otter???.....
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 22, 2012, 04:11 PM
Spektrum Fan Club
New Zealand, Southland, Gore
Joined Jan 2011
194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Nope, they're totally different gimbals than the DX8. Buy the mode you want! You would literally have to disassemble the entire radio to swap the gimbals. Let OMP do it for you.

Andy
Thanks, It might be easier to attempt a gimbal change as it will be ages before there are more mode 1 versions in the country.
SlayerNZ is offline Find More Posts by SlayerNZ
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:11 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
When you get all or most of that worked out, will you share it for my Twin Otter???.....
I sure will!!!!

Actually I just fixed what I needed. Opened the SPM file in wordpad and copied the F-Mode entry from a SAIL Model into an ACRO model and imported. The switches work the way I want them to now. The rest of the mixes and whatever should be easy to set up since I will be working with an ACRO with dual elevators.

I expect that if I ever visited the F-Mode setup screen again all would be lost though.

How do we say it? More than one way to skin a cat!!!!!!!

I will still take a shot at setting it up as a SAIL just to see how it goes. I will share that too when I have a chance.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:13 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
Twin Otter

Wanted:

Five flap positiions: UP, 10, 20, 30, 40 degrees (because it is scale)

Differential Thrust mixed to Rudder

Aileron Droop

RUD-AIL mix for crosswind

Nose wheel is just "Y" connected to RUD, I achieved all the taming down of steering mechanically.

Dual Elevator servos that have to be opposite travel directions (not my choice, just the way the aircraft was constructed/configured)

Flaps, Droop, and Elevator offset to move at slow speed (each reaching their target at the same time)

Sequential use of Flight mode switches so all my actions are of the same format that I have been using since my first computer radio 15 years ago. Up/Away From Me for "flying" and Down/Towards Me for "landing" is the convention I have always used. What you referred to as "Panic Mode", I want to be all the same direction of stick movement, not have one towards me and another away from me on the primary switch.

This is the way I want the F-Mode switches to work:

B in 0/C in 0--FMode1
B in 1/C in 0--FMode2
B in 2/C in 0--FMode3
B in 2/C in 1--FMode4
B in 2/C in 2--FMode5

I expect that all my desires for Dual Elevators and Differential thrust would be easy to do in Acro but the lack of assignability of the primary F-Mode switch in Acro is what drove me to try it in Sail.
Oh yeah, forgot about the flight idle feature using the left lever. Should be no issue.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:20 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,691 Posts
Just a quick one: Can I copy/paste the settings from the DX8 directly to the 18 ? I understand that I cannot transfer it via SD card, but if I can transfer the values, subtrims, etc 1:1, it would be helpful.

I hope my new toy will arrive on tuesday. Hopefully. Been waiting long enough...
Mukenukem is offline Find More Posts by Mukenukem
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, KS, Rose Hill
Joined Sep 2007
991 Posts
The copy and paste has worked great so far in my case, of course you need to rebind and check movements. I have moved several across with sucess. I have had the airplane fly without a single click of trim change.

L.
Cherokee Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Cherokee Flyer
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:43 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,612 Posts
Transferring values like sub trims is a bit helpful but not 100% as the two radios may not be 100% indentical.

Haven't got mine yet to try it but it may be possible to copy&paste part of the spm file that contains that information from one radio to another.

I will surely give it a try because of the amount of members asking but looks like you will be getting yours first so the answer is No but maybe Yes.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 23, 2012, 07:58 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
The battery in the DX18 is a 2S 2600 mah LiPO and is charged with the provided power supply plugged into the radio where the charger is located (if I have that wrong someone please correct me) I noticed that the battery has only two leads going to it which prevents it from being balance charged. I was under the impression that it was best/necessary to balance charge a LiPO. Any comments?

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Jun 23, 2012, 09:00 AM
Suspended Account
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
9,069 Posts
Howard, if it is like the DX 8, the radio does it for you!
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)