Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I am a bit miffed too about the whole Priority selections of the Primary switch being arbitrarily assigned to 0 and 2.
Have you looked at Sailplane flight modes yet?

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,332 Posts
Is this a new plane you bought and it's the first time setting it up with a radio?
Why would a plane setup become so complicated by just changing to a new radio.

You would think it would be the same unless you are trying to do something you are thInking of doing it one way when you should or should at least consider trying another way before opening the radio and making changes that would void the warranty.

There must be another way sort of speak.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:03 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Have you looked at Sailplane flight modes yet?

Andy
That's what I was looking at on page 13.

Is it trying to tell me that I can change which switch position is the priority position? It eludes to 10 flight modes with 4 switches but the chart on the right only appears to show five.

I was thinking before that I may end up wanting to set the type as Sail instead of Acro. I don't know if there would be any down-side to that.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:05 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
Is this a new plane you bought and it's the first time setting it up with a radio?
Why would a plane setup become so complicated by just changing to a new radio.

You would think it would be the same unless you are trying to do something you are thInking of doing it one way when you should or should at least consider trying another way before opening the radio and making changes that would void the warranty.

There must be another way sort of speak.
Not a new plane, the H9 TO that I have had for a couple of seasons now. I just want to do more things with it, namely, have five positions of flaps.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,506 Posts
Quote:
That's what I was looking at on page 13.

Is it trying to tell me that I can change which switch position is the priority position? It eludes to 10 flight modes with 4 switches but the chart on the right only appears to show five.

I was thinking before that I may end up wanting to set the type as Sail instead of Acro. I don't know if there would be any down-side to that.
The down side is that the Sail mode doesn't have as many wing/tail types available.

I suggest you read the info on the Kennedy Composites site, but here's how it works:

The Flight Mode is derived by a table. The table is 3x3 and has two layers (0 and 1).

One switch controls which row you're on, the other switch controls the column. That will give you up to 9 different possible combinations (if you use two 2-pos switches, it gives you 4, etc).

The third switch controls which layer you're on (it can be either 2- or 3-position, but it only uses Pos 0 and Pos 1). This gives you 18 different possible settings for the switches. The two layers of the table are shown side-by-side on the FM Table screen.

With the FM Table screen you can put any flight mode (0-9, 4-char names shown) into any position you want. You do this by setting the switches to a position, clicking, and rolling until you get the right FM in that position.

In addition, there is a Priority Switch. Only 1 position of this switch (you pick which position) will force a given FM. In the other position(s) it will work out of the FM table using the other three switches.

Generally, for a glider the Priority Switch is set to the the spoiler/throttle stick. When pulled low, it forces the model into Landing mode (you can name it what you want) but if you push it away it goes back to the table and uses the current switch settings. You can make it any switch you want, and you can make it active in any position you want.

The table-oriented nature of FM's makes it VERY flexible.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:20 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,506 Posts
Quote:
Not a new plane, the H9 TO that I have had for a couple of seasons now. I just want to do more things with it, namely, have five positions of flaps.
That's easy - set up your flight mode switches to give you "Enabled Flight Modes: 5" on the screen. Use two 3-pos switches.

When you go to the Flap System screen, select Flight Mode as the switch. The Flap Mode screen will then show options for 5 different switch positions.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:35 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
824 Posts
Quote:
Take the bottom half of page 13 for example. Can anybody actually decipher what is possible with the F-Modes?

This is what I use in sailplane mode.

Flight Modes

Once I got it, it was simple after that. Try the following for a 5 flight mode setup.

In sailplane mode try the following – and do it in the same sequence as below.

1. Go to the Flight Mode Wizard.
2. Select Custom.
3. In flight mode setup Select any two switches you want to use. Don’t worry here which switch is for which flight mode.
4. If you want a priority switch, choose it now. Don’t pay any attention to the rest of the screen. The priority switch overrides all other switches.
5. Next
6. Priority switch Leave it for now, more later.
7. Next
8. Flight Mode Table
9. Prev
10. Flight Mode Names. Use any name for any flight mode you want. Don’t worry about the sequence of the names. For Five Flight Modes use the names in the first column only. To avoid confusion, rename the names in the second column.
11. Next
12. Flight Mode Table. This is where the flexibility is amazing. Scroll the box over the matrix of names. Move both of the switches to the neutral position. The Flight Mode name in the middle of the 3 by 3 matrix should have the box around it.
13. Determine separately which flight mode you want on which switch. Start with the one you want with the switchs neutral (pos 1) Click the scroll wheel with the box over the center flight mode. Now scroll through the possible flight mode names you came up with earlier. Click on the one you want to assign to that set of switch settings.
14. Move a Flight Mode Switch to a different position and the box over the center flight mode should move to a new location. Click the scroll wheel until the box starts blinking. Scroll through all the different flight modes you have already named. Click on the one you want to use for that switch position. Continue for all the rest.
15. WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE ON THE SCREEN IS NOT IMPORTANT. All you are doing is choosing which flight mode goes with which switch position. This screen then directs the radio to update all the features in the radio. Choose Differential as an example. Differential now has all five flight modes . Each on available by flipping the appropriate Flight Mode Switch assigned by this table.
16. If only using five flight modes, recognize there is a difference between the first two columns of Flight Mode Names. Column A vs Column B. For now only use the names in column A.

Now about that Priority Switch.

1. To activate Land Mode using the Flap Stick go back to the Flight Mode Setup page and select Throttle Stick for the priority switch.
2. Next
3. On the Priority Switch screen. Leave Pos 0 set to Switches. Set position 1 and 2 to Landing mode by using the scroll wheel and click.
4. Exit back to System Setup, scroll down to “Analog Switch Setup” and click.
5. On the Analog Switch Setup screen move the box over the Throttle row, first 75 percent. Pull down the flap stick and watch the number in the far right column change. Move the stick to get 92% in the far right hand column. With the blinking box over the first column, click the scroll wheel. The number in in the first column will change to 92%. Do not change the 75% in the second column.
6. Under the column “Now” appears the position of the switch as you move the flap stick. Watch the position number change as you move the stick. You just established a “kick” point at 92%
7. Return to Flight mode setup. On the bottom of the page it shows the current flight mode. Move the Flap Stick down from the top. At 92% it will change to landing mode.

Flight Mode Setup really only does a limited number of things. It determines the folowing:
1. Which switches you want to use.
2. If you want a priority switch and which switch it will be.
3. What is the flight mode name for each flight mode switch position
4. And assigns the name to a switch position.

Dont look for more.

Sherman Knight
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Last edited by duworm; Jun 12, 2012 at 06:52 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:42 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
That's easy - set up your flight mode switches to give you "Enabled Flight Modes: 5" on the screen. Use two 3-pos switches.

When you go to the Flap System screen, select Flight Mode as the switch. The Flap Mode screen will then show options for 5 different switch positions.

Andy
But I am still stuck with Priority Position of Primary Switch as Position 1, the middle, right?

Or can I change that if I use Sail Type?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:45 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
The down side is that the Sail mode doesn't have as many wing/tail types available.
So long as it has two aileron/two flap wing, and dual elevators I am good to go. I'm not into any Delta wing things.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:49 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
824 Posts
Quote:
But I am still stuck with Priority Position of Primary Switch as Position 1, the middle, right?

Or can I change that if I use Sail Type?
Every switch has three positions. You have to tell the radio what you want active for each position. See the priority switch screen in Sail.

Sherman
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:54 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
This is what I use in sailplane mode.

Flight Modes

Once I got it, it was simple after that. Try the following for a 5 flight mode setup.

In sailplane mode try the following – and do it in the same sequence as below.

1. Go to the Flight Mode Wizard.
2. Select Custom.
3. In flight mode setup Select any two switches you want to use. Don’t worry here which switch is for which flight mode.
4. If you want a priority switch, choose it now. Don’t pay any attention to the rest of the screen. The priority switch overrides all other switches.
5. Next
6. Priority switch Leave it for now, more later.
7. Next
8. Flight Mode Table
9. Prev
10. Flight Mode Names. Use any name for any flight mode you want. Don’t worry about the sequence of the names. For Five Flight Modes use the names in the first column only. To avoid confusion, rename the names in the second column.
11. Next
12. Flight Mode Table. This is where the flexibility is amazing. Scroll the box over the matrix of names. Move both of the switches to the neutral position. The Flight Mode name in the middle of the 3 by 3 matrix should have the box around it.
13. Determine separately which flight mode you want on which switch. Start with the one you want with the switchs neutral (pos 1) Click the scroll wheel with the box over the center flight mode. Now scroll through the possible flight mode names you came up with earlier. Click on the one you want to assign to that set of switch settings.
14. Move a Flight Mode Switch to a different position and the box over the center flight mode should move to a new location. Click the scroll wheel until the box starts blinking. Scroll through all the different flight modes you have already named. Click on the one you want to use for that switch position. Continue for all the rest.
15. WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE ON THE SCREEN IS NOT IMPORTANT. All you are doing is choosing which flight mode goes with which switch position. This screen then directs the radio to update all the features in the radio. Choose Differential as an example. Differential now has all five flight modes . Each on available by flipping the appropriate Flight Mode Switch assigned by this table.
16. If only using five flight modes, recognize there is a difference between the first two columns of Flight Mode Names. Column A vs Column B. For now only use the names in column A.

Now about that Priority Switch.

1. To activate Land Mode using the Flap Stick go back to the Flight Mode Setup page and select Throttle Stick for the priority switch.
2. Next
3. On the Priority Switch screen. Leave Pos 0 set to Switches. Set position 1 and 2 to Landing mode by using the scroll wheel and click.
4. Exit back to System Setup, scroll down to “Analog Switch Setup” and click.
5. On the Analog Switch Setup screen move the box over the Throttle row, first 75 percent. Pull down the flap stick and watch the number in the far right column change. Move the stick to get 92% in the far right hand column. With the blinking box over the first column, click the scroll wheel. The number in in the first column will change to 92%. Do not change the 75% in the second column.
6. Under the column “Now” appears the position of the switch as you move the flap stick. Watch the position number change as you move the stick. You just established a “kick” point at 92%
7. Return to Flight mode setup. On the bottom of the page it shows the current flight mode. Move the Flap Stick down from the top. At 92% it will change to landing mode.

Flight Mode Setup really only does a limited number of things. It determines the folowing:
1. Which switches you want to use.
2. If you want a priority switch and which switch it will be.
Sherman Knight
WOW!

I think I can get there with those instructions. You have to admit that the manual doesn't get you 10% of the way to where you just led me.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:55 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Every switch has three positions. You have to tell the radio what you want active for each position. See the priority switch screen in Sail.

Sherman
Right on, going to be Sail type for this bird.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 06:57 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
824 Posts
Quote:

I suggest you read the info on the Kennedy Composites site, but here's how it works:

Andy
Here is the link http://www.kennedycomposites.com/transmitters.htm

Sherman
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:

Sherman
So here is one for the Update Request File Andy. It really, really really, should be set up so you can choose your priority position at all times, in any aircraft type. I have been using the up/away---down/towards convention ever since my first (T6XA) computer radio nearly 15 years ago. I can't change now. If it is of any use to me as a "panic mode" then I have to stick with what I have been doing.

Thanks everybody for all the time and input
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:06 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,194 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, I have that saved. Will read before I start at the TO again. Gotta get back to 767 Air Conditioning and Pressurization now though.