to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:58 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_McCarty View Post
DX8 prototype roller wheels were ABS with no plating.

DX18 is the first SPM radio to have a rubber roller wheel.

Matt McCarty
Spektrum Product Development
That is terrific.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:59 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,783 Posts
Matt McCarty
Spektrum Product Development

lookie lookie.... we have more spektrum guys!

@Matt: is there any specific reason for not having a USB (direct PC link) in the new transmitters? A data-interface through a SD card doesn't seem very efficient or practical.
struggleforlife is offline Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:48 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,566 Posts
A rubber roller - more flight modes (how do you switch them whilst flying?)and more memory for models - pretty well sums up what I want for Christmas
Having various Flight Conditions for flying at different speeds and in different winds is really handy -at least for me
The DX8 gimbals are fine as is --what are the changes?
throw ? steps?
friction?
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:31 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Grumpy,

Read my lips: "ALL NEW."

Andy
Alright, lets try coming at this from a different direction. How many cycles are the pots in the DX18 rated for? How about the pots in the DX10t?

After all, this is more relevant than whether the DX8 and DX18 share the same pots.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, AZ, Cochise
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Andy can you lead me to any forums where the spektrum threads dont all go downhill like this? Seems every site i go to that the haters flood the thread with WHAT IFS.I just want valid information to make a decision if i wait for this or get a DX8 now.Thanks in advance for any future posters that write something intelligent here.Also why should Andy answer any questions from these instigators? I think he should only reply to the people who truly have an interest in the new product and want one.Not the haters that want to see it fail.
mighty9 is offline Find More Posts by mighty9
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:52 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
Are you looking to buy one (DX18 orDX10t) ? Cause when I bought my DX8, the amount of cycles the pots were rated at was never a concern.

Surprised to see that you would concern yourself with that when buying a radio of any kind and any brand. Never heard anyone buying a radio because the pots were rated for a century of use unless you are looking to start something.

As that what you are trying to do, instigate something from a forum member that is in a unique position to help us regular folks who happend to be members here as well?

If you are trying to trap him into saying something why not go about it by email?
RCing is offline Find More Posts by RCing
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:58 AM
United States, UT, Highland
Joined Jun 2006
1,168 Posts
Well at least the block feature still works on the new website....
Zeeb is offline Find More Posts by Zeeb
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2011
176 Posts
Hey mighty9 - here's what i was always told from my LHS from the start and I now do the same since after having been threw it already I can say they were right on the money.

When it comes to radios, you buy the BEST that you can buy so that you save later down the road.

Having bought the DX5e, DX6i and now DX8 and having used my DX8 for little over a year I have already encounted limitations in stuff I wanted to do which of course this new DX18 can do. The question for me now is if these things that it can do over my DX8 that I am looking for are they worth the difference in price.

You need to figure out what you need or want and go from there, if it means saving up a bit longer then do so, it will only benefit you in the long run. Like already mentioned numerous times, don't look at it for the channels alone.

If I had to go back in time I would go with the DX18 but thats because I already now what I want and need.
RCing is offline Find More Posts by RCing
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:12 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCing View Post
Are you looking to buy one (DX18 orDX10t) ?
Definitely not a DX10t but possibly a DX18. I have been in the market for a high-end TX. I was rather underwhelmed by the 18MZ. I have concerns about the DX18.

Quote:
Cause when I bought my DX8, the amount of cycles the pots were rated at was never a concern.
I wasn't that concerned either because I don't intend to use my DX8 with anything that valuable.

Quote:
Surprised to see that you would concern yourself with that when buying a radio of any kind and any brand. Never heard anyone buying a radio because the pots were rated for a century of use unless you are looking to start something.
I would think that the reliability of the flight controls would be of interest - especially considering Spektrum's track record in this regard. Futaba has published the specs of the pots in the 18MZ, other manufacturers are starting to move to hall sensors - clearly other people are concerned with the long term reliability of the flight controls (even if you are not)

Quote:
As that what you are trying to do, instigate something from a forum member that is in a unique position to help us regular folks who happend to be members here as well?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
Also why should Andy answer any questions from these instigators?
Really?
How am I instigating anything. Andy has consistently given evasive and condescending replies to simple queries. You are correct that he is in a unique position to be helpful, and I wish that he would strive to be helpful in all of his replies.

Quote:
If you are trying to trap him into saying something why not go about it by email?
Really?
It is just possible that other people are interested in the answer.
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Last edited by grumpy42; Feb 03, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:17 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Thanks Rcing.I can afford any radio made ,but i dont need a 12x or or a 18mz. I like my dx7 but i need a second radio so friends can fly planes with me .I have a couple 100cc planes and they setup well with the dx7 I also have several 50cc and 30cc planes that work well with the dx7 .I want the new wing selections ,a lipo battery, backlit screen etc.Zeeb thats the function i have used the most here so im aware how it works.Also i want the telemetry. Thanks guys
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Did i say it was you grumpy? i didnt quote you or anything.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:44 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
Andy can you lead me to any forums where the spektrum threads dont all go downhill like this? Seems every site i go to that the haters flood the thread with WHAT IFS.I just want valid information to make a decision if i wait for this or get a DX8 now.Thanks in advance for any future posters that write something intelligent here.Also why should Andy answer any questions from these instigators? I think he should only reply to the people who truly have an interest in the new product and want one.Not the haters that want to see it fail.
I get lots of PMs from people. They usually say something like "I didn't want to start a war on the forum, so I'll ask you privately..."

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Sep 2011
112 Posts
Roger that Andy thanks
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:30 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
How can you be sure of that?

VP
Because i am a value shopper...arent you? I rarely pay retail for anything nonessential.
How much did you pay the two times you bought your beloved dx8's?
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed