HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:19 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,832 Posts
Bind plug, keys, Clapper, etc.

David, your assumption is correct. If you're flying a jet, you may want it Active but on an electric then Inhibit makes more sense.

In case you missed it, pressing CLEAR on the main screen resets the timer(s) to start over and, if your trigger is off for a one-time timer, turns the counting off as well.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,832 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Does anyone know if I can download upgrades for the Spektrum transmitter on a Mac computer? I will be getting a DX18 soon and I don't own a PC. Would it be possible for me to put the SD card into my Mac after downloading upgrades and then put the SD card into the transmitter and have everything work okay?

Bob
Yes, Bob, no problem.

If you move the file to the SD card and rename it for some reason, you need to look closely at the filename when you go to import it. The Mac puts two files onto the card. One has a name with a dot at the front (the resource fork) and the other doesn't (the data fork, the actual file you downloaded). The Mac (and all *nix machines) puts a dot as the first character of the resource fork in order to make the file invisible on the folder view.

Make sure the file you select is not the dotted one when you are in the radio.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 06:29 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yes, Bob, no problem.

If you move the file to the SD card and rename it for some reason, you need to look closely at the filename when you go to import it. The Mac puts two files onto the card. One has a name with a dot at the front (the resource fork) and the other doesn't (the data fork, the actual file you downloaded). The Mac (and all *nix machines) puts a dot as the first character of the resource fork in order to make the file invisible on the folder view.

Make sure the file you select is not the dotted one when you are in the radio.

Andy
Another fantastic! Thanks again Andy. Just have to contact two more shops before I decide which one to buy my DX18 from.
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Jun 07, 2012, 08:19 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
I can see the small print, I just want it to be the same as the DX8 text size so it is easier to see. I dont want there to be any question under any different lighting circumstances as to what values and parameters are being programmmed. It is quite simple really. I want consistency with the DX8 programming ease.

VP
Pete you sent back your DX18. Time to hand up the spikes...
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:01 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,634 Posts
The size of the print is fine, in my opinion. Not hard to see at all. Given that this is a significantly more advanced radio than the DX8 with a lot more going on on the screen at times, I see no reason for it to have to look exactly the same when presenting information on the screen, font wise. Why hobble the DX18 to make it look like the DX8?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:05 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,211 Posts
I have a couple questions but my current results are probably my fault.

1. I have a brushless rpm sensor on my heli and on the last telemetry screen with min/max readings it does not show a max rpm during or after the flight. It just has a dotted line.

2. Not really necessary but I tried to set up the tail trim on my scale heli but there is no change in tail movement in rate mode. I have the switch assigned to my gyro switch. I am going to play with it more when I can but I think it would be nice to be able to fly it in rate mode so the tail would track in turns in forward flight. Like I said, not necessary but just wanting to try out some of hte bells and whistles.
dfrazier is online now Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,832 Posts
The dashed line means it received invalid data. Before you take off, hit the CLEAR button on the Min/Max screen to reset everything.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:53 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
Andy,

Several times we have run into a situation where, Aux 4 will not allow you to pick Aux 4 or other random Aux's. It will skip over them and not give it as a choice. On many models we have had to physically take out the RX and move to another channel.

What are we doing wrong?
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:00 PM
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
99% of my models came over from the 9503, but today I put three models over from our dx8.

I loved how you could see all the servo travels in one screen and didn't have to scroll to each one on the 8. The 18 is way easier to work with than the 8 as far as info on the screen at one time goes.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:11 PM
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
I really believe that it is carry-over code from the dx8 because they didn't have more than 8ch so when you picked something 2 ail 2 flap it had to make a comprise and sacrifice gear or aux 1 (or whatever it does).

I don't like it.. for changing over, had to rip out rx and move things. For future planes it is no issue.

Either way, they should make it where you should pick what you want where for every situation. They are forcing certain aux's off, because thats what they had to do, when they were a company that only produced 8 channels.
Old Jun 07, 2012, 10:12 PM
USA, LA, Sulphur
Joined Apr 2006
1,211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
The dashed line means it received invalid data. Before you take off, hit the CLEAR button on the Min/Max screen to reset everything.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I'll try that the next time I get to fly. Probably next Thursday weather permitting.

I would like to give 2 thumbs up to Andy. Thanks for the GREAT support!!!
dfrazier is online now Find More Posts by dfrazier
Old Jun 08, 2012, 01:51 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Does anyone know if I can download upgrades for the Spektrum transmitter on a Mac computer? I will be getting a DX18 soon and I don't own a PC. Would it be possible for me to put the SD card into my Mac after downloading upgrades and then put the SD card into the transmitter and have everything work okay?

Bob
Yes, when you register the serial number, you can get a version of the software that does not nag you about registering. It downloaded and installed just fine from my Macbook.

Bob
parky is offline Find More Posts by parky
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:30 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B View Post
The size of the print is fine, in my opinion. Not hard to see at all. Given that this is a significantly more advanced radio than the DX8 with a lot more going on on the screen at times, I see no reason for it to have to look exactly the same when presenting information on the screen, font wise. Why hobble the DX18 to make it look like the DX8?
"Hobble"? Really? The DX8 is "Hobbley"? I would expect consistency with the screens on the DX18 and DX8.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:46 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
824 Posts
Quote:
"Hobble"? Really? The DX8 is "Hobbley"?.
Not sure if you got the word usage there, but it was 'hobble' as in 'to limit' or 'artificially restrict'

Quote:
I would expect consistency with the screens on the DX18 and DX8.
This seems to be at the core of your concern and I really truthfully don't know why you would expect this as it has been known for some time that the screen would be different, both in absolute size and in pixel density.

These are two different radios with very different programming and display needs, it would be more surprising to find that an 8 channel radio used the same interface as an 18 channel radio than that they were different I'd have thought?
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Jun 08, 2012, 05:50 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
Not sure if you got the word usage there, but it was 'hobble' as in 'to limit' or 'artificially restrict'

This seems to be at the core of your concern and I really truthfully don't know why you would expect this as it has been known for some time that the screen would be different, both in absolute size and in pixel density.

These are two different radios with very different programming and display needs, it would be more surprising to find that an 8 channel radio used the same interface as an 18 channel radio than that they were different I'd have thought?
I assumed consistency with the visual ergonomics of the DX18 and DX8.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)