Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:19 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,084 Posts
Ya for sure, I may not own one right now but still very much reading in as much as I can.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:29 PM
Team JetiUSA
Santa Clara, CA
Joined Nov 2008
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Maybe Freechip needs a prescription, but I dont. I can see the text just fine on the DX8 minus the trim displays of course.

VP
Pete, I've been nearsighted with an astigmatism since college. A few years ago I noticed my iPhone screen "snapping" out of focus and back in. When I mentioned it to my Opthalmologist she smiled and said, happens to everyone in their 40's, the muscles of the eye that are used to focus on near things lose their strength. So now I have to wear progressive lenses.

I can read my DX10t screen (identical to the DX18 screen) perfectly even WITHOUT my glasses. The only thing I cannot do is see the screen with my distance-only glasses on. I have to take them off -- but that's true of the DX8 for me as well.

So I'll be honest with you, if the ~30% smaller text is a problem for you, then you have a problem with your eyes, even if other activities don't seem affected -- we always notice problems with our eyes on one activity first (like iPhone in my case).

Peter+
pvogel is offline Find More Posts by pvogel
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:06 PM
Aeronaught
United States, OR, Sherwood
Joined Oct 2007
17 Posts
Love the TX...I have two (Count 'em) DX8's and have attempted over the past year to get a 6-channel powered glider programed on one of them.....had to give it up and await release of the DX18. Though I did find in this thread the Kennedy composite non-powered glider setup...Spektrum has not as yet anything on the 'community' site. If anyone here has set up their DX18 for a powered glider and would share....I would try to use it as a 'tutorial' and perhaps learn enough to do it myself. Perhaps.....
Thanks in advance to the White Knight!!
Roger Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Roger Anderson
Old Jun 06, 2012, 08:10 PM
I am UNIQUE!
Kentucky
Joined Feb 2008
1,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Anderson View Post
Love the TX...I have two (Count 'em) DX8's and have attempted over the past year to get a 6-channel powered glider programed on one of them.....had to give it up and await release of the DX18. Though I did find in this thread the Kennedy composite non-powered glider setup...Spektrum has not as yet anything on the 'community' site. If anyone here has set up their DX18 for a powered glider and would share....I would try to use it as a 'tutorial' and perhaps learn enough to do it myself. Perhaps.....
I have one for my Cularis, works great. I use the left slider for the motor and 3 flight modes, the land mode uses the 'throttle' stick for crow. Message me your email and I'll send it to you.

Mike
Fig Jam is offline Find More Posts by Fig Jam
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willyboy View Post
Thanks Freechip, but I would still like to know if any delay is preprogrammed in to the software for normal to idle up.
It's on the Throttle Cut screen when you are editing the Hold curve. Set it for the delay you want.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:20 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
Ok, that makes sense. So where do I find the delay for a plane coming into the break for landing, reduce power, lower the flaps and have all new trims programmed to handle balooning from the flaps and reduced airspeed and reduced power. I may have missed that delay in the manual. I am not trying to argue, just telling you that in the end you will want to add the delay capability because the buying public (sport flyer) can really use it.

Howard
It's on the Camber Preset screen.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It's on the Throttle Cut screen when you are editing the Hold curve. Set it for the delay you want.

Andy
Great! Thank you Andy.
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Jun 06, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
First impressions DX18

my DX 18 came monday ( i preordered back in early march) i have been reading the manual. i have a DX6i i bought just for my MCPx otherwise i have been a futaba guy my last 20 years in RC. Now i have a couple aircraft running spektrum. I got the DX18 because i wanted to try out the telemetry stuff and no way i am paying $3K for the futaba 18mz.

1. Tx. the right dial doesn't have full range. i realized it when it kept doing the centering peeping sound. then i shook the radio and and it got worse. then started flipping dial, switches, stick... then realized it the dial. went to the calibrate screen and noted with will not give the OK for the right dial. The servo monitor screen confirms no full throws. If you tap the top of the dial, the throw jumps all over the place.

R/
Lawrence
LCDR US Navy
ltdorn1 is offline Find More Posts by ltdorn1
Last edited by ltdorn1; Jun 07, 2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: removed failed Rx comment... it was operator error.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 10:05 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,518 Posts
Ever considered the guys in the brown shorts used your package for football practice?

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Jun 06, 2012, 11:38 PM
Sherman Knight
Kirkland Washington
Joined Feb 2002
772 Posts
Six servo Glider with a motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Anderson View Post
The guide is currently posted on the Kennedy composites website (http://www.kennedycomposites.com/transmitters.htm# ) Just go to the DX18 page under radios. It is on the right side of the screen. Last, I was there, the SPM file did not work. If you want a clean copy of the SPM file, email me directly at duworm@aol.com.

If you want to add a motor, it is REAL simple. In Sailplane Type, at the bottom of the screen is the motor selection. When you scroll over this section and click, the box will start blinking. Scroll through all the possible selections to use, switch, stick, lever or throttle. Check Rx Port Assignments to see where the radio assigned the ESC to be plugged in. (should be #7)

In the Function List, two new menu selections will show up. Throttle Cut and Throttle Curve. Everything you need should be there.

Hope this helps.

Sherman Knight
duworm is offline Find More Posts by duworm
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:15 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Flight mode switch activation includes a repositioning of primary control surfaces?
Sounds spooky to me - for fixed wing stuff which is powered .
Perhaps for a glider but I would prefer changes in rates ONLY.

Do some use flight mode switch in place of flap/landing position switch ,which does use mixes?
I use flight modes to handle Flap/Landing functionality, since it gives me the option of separate trim in each flight mode. No worry about trying to set the right elevator deflection on the "landing" switch, just get the plane in the air, set the mode switch for the right flap setting and trim the plane.. and do it again for the next flap setting. Takes about a minute of the first flight to get all the flap settings dialed in. So far, its been convenient to use the flap switch as the flight mode switch, so the flap part of it does the flap settings and the rough elevator settings. (some planes I fly use a LOT of flap and need a lot of elevator to trim, more than typical trim throw).

One thing I like about the DX18 is that I can set common or independent trim for each channel... since I want the same nose gear steering trim for both takeoff and landing, but I want independent trim on elevator and aileron.

And yes, this is fixed wing powered stuff. No, its not "spooky", its the quick and easy way to do it.

Bob
parky is offline Find More Posts by parky
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:24 AM
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean. Sometimes a picture says the wrong 1000 words!

This is normal. Leave the student in "INH" mode. This will allow you to adjust the trims on the slave so that when control is moved from master to slave that there is no movement.

I do a lot of training and this is exactly what we do on the DX7s's we use.

P-Link Master, INH slave (aka "normal slave").

Andy
Will follow your advice, thanks Andy
stanh2 is offline Find More Posts by stanh2
Old Jun 07, 2012, 01:28 AM
South Africa, KZN, Durban
Joined Apr 2012
11 Posts
Hey Sherman,

Downloaded your 6 servo glider program. The downloading worked great! Checked your programming out on the servo monitor and it all looks fantastic. Just one question though, when moving ailerons (can't remember in which flight mode) the aileron moving down reflexes slightly upwards at max stick deflection - what is the reason for that?
Thx
Stan
stanh2 is offline Find More Posts by stanh2
Old Jun 07, 2012, 04:45 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvogel View Post
Pete, I've been nearsighted with an astigmatism since college. A few years ago I noticed my iPhone screen "snapping" out of focus and back in. When I mentioned it to my Opthalmologist she smiled and said, happens to everyone in their 40's, the muscles of the eye that are used to focus on near things lose their strength. So now I have to wear progressive lenses.

I can read my DX10t screen (identical to the DX18 screen) perfectly even WITHOUT my glasses. The only thing I cannot do is see the screen with my distance-only glasses on. I have to take them off -- but that's true of the DX8 for me as well.

So I'll be honest with you, if the ~30% smaller text is a problem for you, then you have a problem with your eyes, even if other activities don't seem affected -- we always notice problems with our eyes on one activity first (like iPhone in my case).

Peter+
I can see the small print, I just want it to be the same as the DX8 text size so it is easier to see. I dont want there to be any question under any different lighting circumstances as to what values and parameters are being programmmed. It is quite simple really. I want consistency with the DX8 programming ease.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 07, 2012, 05:36 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
It's on the Camber Preset screen.

Andy
Andy,

Page 31 of the DX18 manual "Camber Preset. This is only available when 2 or 4 aileron wing type is selected in Sailplane Type" Reducing power at the break in order to slow down for landing is an 'acro' type manuever. Honest, my goal is not to make this a shoe wetting contest, I am simply saying that a flight mode delay would be a welcome and usable function for sport flyers and that would make the DX18 an even better radio for the regular flyer.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L