HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,650 Posts
2 questions for you
#1 why two?
#2 are you married and if so how did you manage that one?
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:14 PM
Joined Apr 2011
247 Posts
I have just had a look through the manual, But could not find the answer there, Has the DX18 got flight mode delay? I.e can you put a slight delay between switching the flight modes where the servo's slowly take up their new position, instead of just jumping to the new condition. If not why not? will it be incorporated in an update?

This is not only handy for Heli's but also for sailplane fliers.

However the list of features and flexibility of this radio is quite impressive.

Thanks
Busher is offline Find More Posts by Busher
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:27 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
2 questions for you
#1 why two?
#2 are you married and if so how did you manage that one?
Cause I'm insane.. No JK, my brother and I both fly and those are both our radios. Funny thing is, my nephew works with us also and we forgot to put his DX6I in the picture.

2#. I figured this one out awhile back. My wife and I pay each other $50 a week to spend on whatever we want, no questions asked. So I save it up. This has really cut out alot of problems, resentment and arguments.

I am very lucky also, because my brother and I split all plane purchases to it really cost me half for planes.
stvinvegas is offline Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Old Jun 06, 2012, 01:35 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,650 Posts
That's cool with the brother thing. However my brother is into heli's and 7k$ boat and I planes and 200$ heli's.

He futaba and I SPK for air and he SPK and I futaba for surface.

Someone gave him a plane that were going to use for camera and shooting some boat vids that I will be flying but that's about as much as sharing will be doing.

You guys seemed to have a cool arrangement.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 02:02 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busher View Post
I have just had a look through the manual, But could not find the answer there, Has the DX18 got flight mode delay? I.e can you put a slight delay between switching the flight modes where the servo's slowly take up their new position, instead of just jumping to the new condition. If not why not? will it be incorporated in an update?

This is not only handy for Heli's but also for sailplane fliers.

However the list of features and flexibility of this radio is quite impressive.

Thanks
Yes and no. There is no universally programmable delay between different flight modes.

However, on the functions that require delays, they are available. Some of the top heli, airplane, and glider pilots on the planet helped us develop the radio, and they're happy with the results.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:42 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,441 Posts
Flight mode switch activation includes a repositioning of primary control surfaces?
Sounds spooky to me - for fixed wing stuff which is powered .
Perhaps for a glider but I would prefer changes in rates ONLY.

Do some use flight mode switch in place of flap/landing position switch ,which does use mixes?
Ah do do that .
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Jun 06, 2012, 04:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
They use them to adjust camber and such. For the gliders it makes perfect sense.

It goes along with the concept of elevator compensation when you deploy flaps on real airplanes.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Yes and no. There is no universally programmable delay between different flight modes.

However, on the functions that require delays, they are available. Some of the top heli, airplane, and glider pilots on the planet helped us develop the radio, and they're happy with the results.

Andy
Andy,

You may want to rethink this area a bit. Before this is all done you will end up adding a flight mode delay. First, it is not a universal delay but, rather a delay in the specific flight mode that you are moving to. It is intended to make that transition into the new flight mode appear to be smooth and controlled, no step functions.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:06 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,328 Posts
That's exactly what we have provided in the places that the experts felt it made sense.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Apr 2011
247 Posts
Quote:

Andy
Thanks for clearing that up, Its not a deal breaker for me, its just that recently I have had to change my style of flying to suit radio's without delay across the flight modes and it just narks me a bit. I think it would be a nice additional feature maybe for future who knows.
3d pilots would not see a use for it, so I guess I am in a minority, I will change with the times eventually

Look forward to seeing it in the UK, and buying one to play with.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 05:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
247 Posts
The place I would use it is between flight mode Norm and idle up 1,

I have always preferred to have a significantly different pitch curve in hover/Norm mode than my Idle up modes.

So you can see the mechanics will get a pretty hefty jolt if I changed between norm and idle up 1, the slight delay and slow transition to the new position makes that change much sweeter. After flying this way for years, (multplex radio) when I went to Spektrum the Jolt between flight modes was unbearable, so I now have to use the same linear pitch curve across all flight modes, this is a bit foreign to me and it has taken a bit of getting used to. Also it makes precision hovering more difficult with a 3d setup.
A delay would be nice but as I say not entirely necessary, but on a new radio at that price range and considering it is software change I think it could be put there but I guess it needs more people to ask for it.

Thanks to Andy for looking into it though.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:06 PM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
That's exactly what we have provided in the places that the experts felt it made sense.

Andy
Ok, that makes sense. So where do I find the delay for a plane coming into the break for landing, reduce power, lower the flaps and have all new trims programmed to handle balooning from the flaps and reduced airspeed and reduced power. I may have missed that delay in the manual. I am not trying to argue, just telling you that in the end you will want to add the delay capability because the buying public (sport flyer) can really use it.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:

Andy
Hmmmm, does this mean for instance on a Helicopter going from normal to idle 1, that the delay is already pre-programed into the software?

Bob
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:46 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,650 Posts
The delay on some heli setup is in the ESC.
Old Jun 06, 2012, 07:18 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Sep 2007
372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
The delay on some heli setup is in the ESC.
Thanks Freechip, but I would still like to know if any delay is preprogrammed in to the software for normal to idle up.
Willyboy is offline Find More Posts by Willyboy