HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:47 AM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
139 Posts
The Eflite foam is a bit more delicate than the FMS or Airfield stuff, but IMO it looks so much better, and as I stated before, if you bin it, or just have a ground loop, etc it usually just snaps and breaks instead of smushing and deforming like the EPO stuff. It's very easy to glue, I've got some sloppy but firm repairs on on one plane with 5-minute epoxy and some clean and pretty fix-it's on another Eflite bird with both epoxy and CA. I think it repairs just fine.
I've had two FMS/Airfield birds, and one I hated and the other was fun-ish but a challenge to fly. At least the Eflite stuff has always flown perfectly for me straight out of the box.
It'd be a little sweeter if it was going to be a touch bigger than a 25.5" span, but I think it'll be a fun little ripper.
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Oct 2007
384 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post
I wasn't interested as I'm selling off my fleet at the moment.
Something I've been trying to do as well. When you sell some of yours, are you shipping them or local only? I've got an FMS P-51 and P-47 that I have a buyer for here on the forums, they are both unbuilt, but I have no idea how I would be able to ship them without destroying them. I don't have the foam they were shipped in anymore, as it was crappy back then so I just tossed it.
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:56 PM
Erich Parkmann
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Articwolf, The 1400mm FMS Zero is an absolute dream to fly. It's the smoothest on rails plane I have.

IMHO, you can't compair the two planes at all. Two diiferent worlds.
That seems to be the general consensus about that plane. My dilema is the size right now. While I would love to fly the bigger bird, I am not a member of a club and think it might be too big for the biggest field/park I fly at (hey, but maybe not ) So that would mean I would fly it once and awhile I'm guessing. Whereas this new eflite zero I could fly everyday. And then there is the issue of best value. The airfield zero is only roughly $100 more and you get a lot more plane. I'll wait till the eflite zero comes out before I pass judgement on which one to get.

Plus there is not even a product video for this zero yet!
ArticWolf is offline Find More Posts by ArticWolf
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:02 PM
fvi
Canada, ON
Joined Jul 2011
564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArticWolf View Post
That seems to be the general consensus about that plane. My dilema is the size right now. While I would love to fly the bigger bird, I am not a member of a club and think it might be too big for the biggest field/park I fly at (hey, but maybe not ) So that would mean I would fly it once and awhile I'm guessing. Whereas this new eflite zero I could fly everyday. And then there is the issue of best value. The airfield zero is only roughly $100 more and you get a lot more plane. I'll wait till the eflite zero comes out before I pass judgement on which one to get.

Plus there is not even a product video for this zero yet!
ArticWolf, I have a Supercub LP that I fly at my local park. At 1200mm is an awesome size. I got a FMS P-51 1400mm that I've flown a couple of times in the same park. Last time I smacked a tree with it. I've decided that it's just too big to fly at my local park safely. Since I'm not in a club I'll probably fix it and sell it.

This little zero looks like it's tons of fun and the size will never be an issue.

Cheers
fvi is offline Find More Posts by fvi
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:19 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,987 Posts
I had, flew and really enjoyed the Kyosho 109, myself, until it was finally grounded by a lack of reasonably-priced replacement parts. It was a rocket, flew well and looked good doing it. I fly micros and the larger park-sized planes too, but found that planes in the 25" range can have a role too. I've wanted a Zero, and am happy to see a Zero this size from HH, so that I can get the parts I'll (inevitably) need!
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:38 PM
Erich Parkmann
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2012
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyLee View Post
I had, flew and really enjoyed the Kyosho 109, myself, until it was finally grounded by a lack of reasonably-priced replacement parts. It was a rocket, flew well and looked good doing it. I fly micros and the larger park-sized planes too, but found that planes in the 25" range can have a role too. I've wanted a Zero, and am happy to see a Zero this size from HH, so that I can get the parts I'll (inevitably) need!
Yep 25" plane would be perfect for those days at the park when the wind is more than what the ums would like. Although the new pz um spit with as3x promises to help solve that problem. Definitely getting the pz um spit and eflite umx mig-15!
ArticWolf is offline Find More Posts by ArticWolf
Old Feb 04, 2012, 12:19 PM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
699 Posts
Quote:
It's because they fly terribly, have to be transported in huge boxes, can't be flown in any wind, have worse than scale performance, break easily, aren't to scale, don't do inverted, are more expensive to maintain, and the unbalanced UM Corsair release really peed me off because there's no way to work on UMs. UMs are junk and I take the Corsair release personally. Horizon's not boning me twice. Their park fliers are perfect, but small planes didn't magically get good one day. I really liked the idea of micros until I flew one outside. Yikes.

Z-foam HH parkfliers I'd prefer, but if I have to go elsewhere, I will. I could list 20 planes I'd buy at 1100mm size and HH makes just the top one, and I bought it, and it's the best plane I own.
Transpoted in huge boxes?!?! Are you kidding me? The box of my UM Mosquito is smaller than my other PZ parkflyer sized planes F-27Q, T-28D, P-47 etc.) Sure, wind effects them easily, but with AS3X coming out, it'll be different. Further, piloting skills also play a BIG factor in flying UM(X)s without AS3X. My first plane was an UM P-51 and I had only one rough landing. I didn't get a sim until about 3 months after the UM P-51.

Here is a pic showing how much space several UM's and UMX's compared to larger PZ planes:

Name: Plane Rack.jpg
Views: 299
Size: 170.9 KB
Description:

I've added a few more UM boxes since I took this pic back in September.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:48 AM
352nd FG Association
United States, GA, Decatur
Joined Mar 2004
4,268 Posts
I guess the boys at Horizon were pulling my leg back in 2008 when they said "The Zero just doesn't sell that well". Maybe the fact others were making them and selling them changed their minds?

With all these new Warbirds coming out just in the past 2 months, I can't wait to see what happens by summer. The UMs are getting better. There's always that first series that has issues. I mean, take the first PZ P-51 (Ferocious Frankie), and what they have now. Or the Spitfire for that matter. These things are like a good bottle of wine, they better with age.

Now this Zero, with a 25" WS, isn't quite in the same league as the UM P-51, T-28, J3 Cub, Corsair, Mossie, and such. You really need to compare apples to apples here, like with the E-Flite P-40.
Moonbeam is offline Find More Posts by Moonbeam
Old Feb 05, 2012, 02:06 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
Transpoted in huge boxes?!?! Are you kidding me?
I have two EPO planes that have 32" wingspans, and they take up less space in my car than my 16" UM Corsair box. So yeah, huge boxes. Because the boxes aren't for the planes. They're for the plane, a charger nobody uses, and a Tx nobody uses.

How does the Eflite P-40 travel? Should it be kept in a box?
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:27 PM
Parkstormer!
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2010
1,987 Posts
Quote:
I have two EPO planes that have 32" wingspans, and they take up less space in my car than my 16" UM Corsair box. So yeah, huge boxes. Because the boxes aren't for the planes. They're for the plane, a charger nobody uses, and a Tx nobody uses.

How does the Eflite P-40 travel? Should it be kept in a box?
I carried my Kyosho 109 (same size) just loose among my other planes, which was another part of the attraction--took hardly any space at all in the car . . .
GradyLee is offline Find More Posts by GradyLee
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Feb 2011
139 Posts
The P-40 travels well. It's got a crafty o-ring that keeps the wing on the fuse, and for traveling, even in my back pack when taking it to a pal's place via motorbike, I just undo the O-ring, and the wing and fuse most anywhere. I'm wondering if the Zero's got the same wing-retention deal as the P-40. Great idea really. If you come down hard most of the time either the o-ring is going to give way or possibly the little plastic hook that's on the wing root before any massive wing damage is happening. I've got a makeshift hook on the wing end of things now made from some music wire. works great. I hope the Zero comes like it.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:56 PM
Joined Oct 2006
63 Posts
The Zero does have the O-ring wing retention.
Ryan Smith is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Smith
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
139 Posts
Sweet! That system is simple and easy. Smart move.
So Ryan, when's this thing gonna be off the "backorder" list?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 08:35 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
I like the O-ring in that harder landings will just pop the wings as opposed to transferring the load onto the rest of the plane.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Feb 07, 2012, 03:31 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
The transportable aspect of it makes it seem perfect. I'm in trouble if I see one at a LHS.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister