HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2007
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afraidtoregister View Post
It's because they fly terribly, have to be transported in huge boxes, can't be flown in any wind, have worse than scale performance, break easily, aren't to scale, don't do inverted, are more expensive to maintain, and the unbalanced UM Corsair release really peed me off because there's no way to work on UMs. UMs are junk and I take the Corsair release personally. Horizon's not boning me twice. Their park fliers are perfect, but small planes didn't magically get good one day. I really liked the idea of micros until I flew one outside. Yikes.

Z-foam HH parkfliers I'd prefer, but if I have to go elsewhere, I will. I could list 20 planes I'd buy at 1100mm size and HH makes just the top one, and I bought it, and it's the best plane I own.
I'm not trying to sidetrack this thread, but some of your points are hard to accept. Arguing about having to transport the UM's in "huge boxes"? Show me a UMX or UM box that takes up more space than any of the parkflyer sized birds? Second of all, what forces you to transport them in a box?

The scale appearance has been an issue. But it's also getting much better, like everything else when they first started out, it gets better with more and more development.

I don't experience much in the terms of what you explain to be awful flight characteristics. Wind can be troublesome, but with the advent of the AS3X built in gyro's, it's becoming almost a non issue, and I hardly have an issue with the ones I have.

Just out of curiosity, you sound very bitter about your UM Corsair, what happened? I have the Mosquito and Corsair, and don't seem to have any issues enjoying either of them.

I guess they aren't for everyone, but guess what, neither are the 1400mm sized birds. Like I said, for myself, I live in a conjested city. To get out and find a place to fly, where i'm not trespassing and still have enough space to fly larger planes, is difficult. I'd rather fly a couple times a week after work with a smaller plane, than 5-10 times a year with a much more expensive plane. You used cost as a negative. $170 for a BNF gyro equipped 3D beast, Sbach, Mig etc etc is much easier to handle than a $279 BNF P-47 or $399 BNF Carbon Yak that I will fly a 1/10th of what I can a smaller plane.
jayxer is online now Find More Posts by jayxer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:15 PM
Field of Dreams Flyer
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,117 Posts
When I had the P-40 I flew with a 3s lipo and was a little rocket.
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
If it's indeed a successor to the P-40, and handles much like it then I'm sure it'll be a joy to fly. I'd not call it a Ultra Micro size if it's got the same brushless motor, and probably the possibility to use a small 3s. Sounds like a recipe for fun to me. I can't wait.
I've got several true ultra micros and fly the heck out of them and I think they repair ok when you have the eventual mishap. I think the Zero is going to be a wholly different deal compared to say the tiny Corsair, or the like. There's no comparison between my P-40 and say the ultra micro P-51, Corsair, etc.
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:46 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,579 Posts
You're wearing me down Sheldonc. The Zero is now moving closer to the top of my list. Keep talking
quitcherbitchen is offline Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:30 PM
We can trim it out
USA, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2010
90 Posts
Ya i was so happy to see kyosho put out their 25" Bf109 that i scooped one up from Hobby Lobby. This plane has always been a challenge to fly especially with the included 3 blade prop. Alot of guys switched it out to a 2 blade and say its much more manageable but i cant go that route cause the 3 blade looks soo damn good in the air it has been collecting dust for months now from not being able to find OEM parts, the damn prop! ugh. Horizon will have parts so this bird is going to be fun as an everyday park tosser. good work HH. Is the 25" Corsair next??? Hmmmm.
Chubbum is offline Find More Posts by Chubbum
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:03 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,316 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
When I had the P-40 I flew with a 3s lipo and was a little rocket.
+++ The P-40 is terrific with 430 3S and this should be as well. The zero is just about the same size and weight, with the same motor so performance should be very similar. The smooth foam looks great and this makes quite a display model for your desk. The zero will be the perfect playmate for the P-40 .

This is definitely not an ultra-micro - it is much heavier and faster. At the same time, it is nothing like a 39" mustang, which is a joy to fly. This is fun in-between size that wants to go fast for its size.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
I've got my many-times-mangled P-40 sitting on a table in the corner of my dining room and it still looks great, so long as you don't get right up to it so's you can see all the glue, but when uncrashed and bashed the fit and finish is top notch, just like so many other Eflite birds. I took crap buying the Warhawk because it's a somewhat expensive but small ARF, but really I'm very happy with it. With the knowledge I've got now maybe I would've spent less money and gotten a cheaper motor/ESC/ Servo's, but really, it was all worth it, and now the Zero is showing $140?! What a deal comparatively to the true Ultra Micros, which it's no comparison anyways, but that's the picture I see. I've held off getting the Kyosho BF-109 Chubbum for all the reasons you mentioned.
I've had a couple of the Alfa series planes from Hobby Lobby and they are lookers, but not near as durable, or fixable (if you biff). This will be a perfect in-between for sure, and cheap available parts to boot. When's this thing coming out? And also, when's the Corsair coming?!
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:30 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Dangit guys, I want a Zero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayxer View Post
I'm not trying to sidetrack this thread, but some of your points are hard to accept. Arguing about having to transport the UM's in "huge boxes"? Show me a UMX or UM box that takes up more space than any of the parkflyer sized birds? Second of all, what forces you to transport them in a box?
They have to be put into the box because they're made out of an extremely fragile foam that is hard to fix. All EPO birds 500mm-800mm are smaller and easier to transport than UM boxes. I agree that the 1400mm size is silly. I'm sure they can be flown in a small area, but I don't know what kind of vehicle you need for transport. I'm guessing a pickup truck or possibly an SUV or minivan with all the seats folded down.

As for the cost thing, I agree that the power 15 ones are expensive. But, I got my PZ Corsair for $155 and hobby stores carry the PZ Wildcat for $90. That Wildcat is cheaper to get into the air than an UM, ignoring upkeep cost! Deeeaaal!

If this Zero was 30"-45", I'd do backflips to buy it. What size is the Sea Fury they're going to offer? 39? Amazing. That plane looked super sweet at the AMA Expo. I was going to buy it before my fleet selloff and I don't like Sea Furys! Some of the stuff they make is just perfect.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,579 Posts
I agree all the way Afraid, that Spitfire they had at AMA is very cool. I have had three gas powered spitfires in the past and they were all major handfuls for fly. The Sea Fury is also gorgeous. I want a Zero too in 36" range 15 powered. I get the feeling you and I are the only ones that didn't buy the FMS Zero because I like to take more then one plane to the field. I drive a Prius and 1400mm is just too big. This little micro may have to do until the Hobby Lobby 1100mm shows itself again. Then again, I could fly this micro much closer to home or work.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:24 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,903 Posts
If it was at least a park size mabye. But the airfield is 10x the plane for $138 shipped
fnlrun is online now Find More Posts by fnlrun
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:44 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quitcherbitchen View Post
I drive a Prius and 1400mm is just too big.
That's the thing! I have a newer mustang and I parked in assigned parking next to a jeep grand cherokee for most of a year. The mustang is wider and longer. 1400mm is way too big to put into it. I tried to put a 1200mm plane in it, it wouldn't fit. The prius is also very large, and you say no dice in it either. They do love that size, so I assume the planes must fly really well. I'm just not buying a car so I can fly a bigger plane.

Especially because the 1100 size that Horizon makes is great. HL's Zero would be great, and I got a PM from a guy wanting to sell his. If you're interested, I'll forward his name to you. I wasn't interested as I'm selling off my fleet at the moment.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:59 AM
Erich Parkmann
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2012
114 Posts
Ugh I was so set on getting a fms 1400mm zero, but now eflite comes out with this???

300 sizes would be more practical where I am, but the fms has flaps and retracts and is not that more expensive ahhhh! I don't know anymore

As of now I'll wait till the eflite zero comes out and see the reviews on that before I make my decision on that or the fms, but one thing is for sure the new fms bf-109f is mine and so is the eflite umx mig-15!

Although would have rather seen a f-86 or even better a me-262 (not at all practical in umx), but hey no one is perfect.
ArticWolf is offline Find More Posts by ArticWolf
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:23 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,013 Posts
Articwolf, The 1400mm FMS Zero is an absolute dream to fly. It's the smoothest on rails plane I have.

IMHO, you can't compair the two planes at all. Two diiferent worlds.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:45 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
Joined Jul 2011
5,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post
Articwolf, The 1400mm FMS Zero is an absolute dream to fly. It's the smoothest on rails plane I have.

I don't think Articwolf is comparing the planes, just sounds like his dilemma is the size of his pocket book.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:37 AM
Capitalist
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Sep 2008
1,903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoHeliNut View Post

This ^^^ Love my FMS Zero
fnlrun is online now Find More Posts by fnlrun