Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 05:21 PM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
Because my 2S 800s have those on already as they're made for more amp draw. I didn't know how big this Zero is and how big of a motor it'll take to.

The P40 is 25", making it an ultra micro. I read it had bad tipstalls. The P40 uses a 10amp ESC as well with a 430mAh battery. Zero might be 25" and take a 430mAh battery then.

Well, I did really want them to make a Zero. But I am not at all interested in UMs. I prefer to fly my planes, not just spend 6 minutes white knuckle trying not to crash. However, unlike all the other UMs Horizon makes, this one uses real components and therefore isn't just disposable junk. I'll be looking at the Hobby Lobby 1100mm one if it becomes available again and possibly the FMS 1400mm if I find a deuce and a half to transport it with. Either one has to wait, as I'm downsizing my fleet at the moment.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:38 PM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,290 Posts
I am with you Afraid, this thing is really small and I guess we should be careful what we wish for. I too am stalking the Hobby Lobby 1100mm. Was hoping that Hobby King's brand would have debuted a Zero this week, but Ce la vie.
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:44 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
hmm seems like this one and the EF alby don't have more than one pic up. Am I missing something......guessing they are still working on the web pages yes? no?
BrentP is offline Find More Posts by BrentP
Old Feb 01, 2012, 06:54 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
hmm seems like this one and the EF alby don't have more than one pic up. Am I missing something......guessing they are still working on the web pages yes? no?
The Mig has more pics
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...f-bnf-EFLU1680
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
here's a bigger pic of the zero while we wait for more from HH

looks good
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:30 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
here's a bigger pic of the zero while we wait for more from HH

looks good
300 class? Please! Might as well be another umx i won't buy. Unless it's comparible to HK'S Funfighter series and capible of running 4s.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:04 AM
United States, LA, Patterson
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
If it's sized like, and flies like the P-40 then count me in. I've got a 300 P-40 and love it. I've always found it to be a decent slow flier if you want it to, but it's better handling, and more fun (I think) with some steam on. It's not as robust foam as some, but is easily repairable, and light as heck. I'm thinking the drop tank on bottom is the same as the P-40's that connects the plane to a display stand. On the Parts and Accessories tab they've got a stand listed. Maybe the same one the P-40 came with?
It would maybe seem that they saw how the P-40 as an ARF struggled and want to try something with the bells and whistles already attached for the newer crowd..?
sheldonc is offline Find More Posts by sheldonc
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:07 AM
Chop it, cut it, bash it
United States, CA, La Caņada Flintridge
Joined Jul 2011
5,290 Posts
Enlighten me more about your P40 Sheldonc. You said "easy to repair". What has broken so far?
quitcherbitchen is online now Find More Posts by quitcherbitchen
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Ha ha, well.... my habit of trying to get every last minute out of the flying day is not so kind to my planes. I've pretty much gotten away from flying as the sun is sinking into the horizon, but it's cost me some 5-minute epoxy and CA. I've broken the nose off in two places, had a wing snap almost all the way thru, and one crash had it in 5 peices. All glued back together fairly easily and flies great still! What I dig about the Eflite foam is that it usually seems to just break instead of smush and deform. I always fly it on little 3s 480mah batteries. As far as the plane itself, it's great. The clever little o-ring that holds the wing on with a couple hooks failed after a while, but I learned not to store it with it hooked up. Still got the stock ESC and motor and the Hobbyzone recommended Eflite servos. Was one of my first "fast" planes, and it's not that fast at all really. So I'm a fan of the Zero if it's like the P-40. I think it's a shame it wasn't more popular, but I guess I can understand why it wasn't. Hope the Zero does better.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:08 AM
Horizon Hobby Employee
Mahomet, Illinois
Joined Aug 2007
2,241 Posts
Zero vs. Carbon Cub

There is more to size classification than merely wingspan. Flying weight, wing loading, power system and power loading also must be considered. One of the main things we look at is flying weight.

The Carbon Cub is at the upper end of what we would consider ultra micro. It's about 90g, 83.5 sq. inches of wing area, runs a 180-size outrunner and a 180-200 mAh battery. Span is 24".

In contrast, the Zero is about 240g, with 117 sq. inches and 25.5" span, so it's roughly 2.5 times the weight on only 50% more wing area, resulting in a much higher wing loading than the Carbon Cub's. This, combined with its more powerful 300-size outrunner and 400-700 mAh battery recommendation, gives it the handling qualities of a fighter, not a sport utility plane like the Carbon Cub. The Zero will fly faster and take up more space than the Carbon Cub; it doesn't fly like an ultra micro. For some this is a positive, not a negative!

The Zero is a successor to our P-40, which was a reasonably successful product. With the convenience of the BNF Basic completion level, we think the Zero offers great performance and a lot of value for the customer.
Dave Eichstedt is offline Find More Posts by Dave Eichstedt
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:13 AM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
I gotta say one thing. Quite impressed to see a Zero. Curious to see what else comes down the pipe in the future.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:16 AM
Joined Feb 2011
135 Posts
Awesome news Dave. How 'bout you send me one to test..?
Really though, I'm excited to have the possibility to have that in the air next to the P-40. If it handles somewhat the same it'll be a hoot to fly!
Was I on track with the mid-line drop tank mating up with a stand, ala the P-40?
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:17 AM
Joined Oct 2007
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Eichstedt View Post
There is more to size classification than merely wingspan. Flying weight, wing loading, power system and power loading also must be considered. One of the main things we look at is flying weight.

The Carbon Cub is at the upper end of what we would consider ultra micro. It's about 90g, 83.5 sq. inches of wing area, runs a 180-size outrunner and a 180-200 mAh battery. Span is 24".

In contrast, the Zero is about 240g, with 117 sq. inches and 25.5" span, so it's roughly 2.5 times the weight on only 50% more wing area, resulting in a much higher wing loading than the Carbon Cub's. This, combined with its more powerful 300-size outrunner and 400-700 mAh battery recommendation, gives it the handling qualities of a fighter, not a sport utility plane like the Carbon Cub. The Zero will fly faster and take up more space than the Carbon Cub; it doesn't fly like an ultra micro. For some this is a positive, not a negative!

The Zero is a successor to our P-40, which was a reasonably successful product. With the convenience of the BNF Basic completion level, we think the Zero offers great performance and a lot of value for the customer.
Dave,
Congrats, you're team is killing it, and myself with it. I don't understand why so many have posted negatives about the UM's here. They fit the bill for people like me. I don't have an abundance of wide open expanses, I'm pretty much relegated to parks, and most products are too big or cover far to much real estate for me to comfortably fly them on a regular basis. I love the big stuff too, but it's not worth it to me to own many of them, only to fly them 4 times a year, when I have the time to drive and spend half a day flying. These UM's I can bring just about anywhere. The beast, Sbach and Stryker are probably some of the most enjoyable planes I fly. The brushed warbirds could use a little more GO, but count me in for the Carbon Cub and floats, GeeBee, and the Mig.
jayxer is offline Find More Posts by jayxer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:54 AM
Looking4Grass in AZ
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Feb 2011
1,357 Posts
It's because they fly terribly, have to be transported in huge boxes, can't be flown in any wind, have worse than scale performance, break easily, aren't to scale, don't do inverted, are more expensive to maintain, and the unbalanced UM Corsair release really peed me off because there's no way to work on UMs. UMs are junk and I take the Corsair release personally. Horizon's not boning me twice. Their park fliers are perfect, but small planes didn't magically get good one day. I really liked the idea of micros until I flew one outside. Yikes.

Z-foam HH parkfliers I'd prefer, but if I have to go elsewhere, I will. I could list 20 planes I'd buy at 1100mm size and HH makes just the top one, and I bought it, and it's the best plane I own.
Afraidtoregister is offline Find More Posts by Afraidtoregister
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:59 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2008
3,402 Posts
if this thing flies like a PZ and Eflite and doesn't tip stall when slowed down I might just have to ditch my fms spit and buy this as my day tripper ww2 bird.