HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 29, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
I'm starting to wonder if I'll really like AS3X in a plane.

In a heli, a stability system greatly reduces part count and mechanical complexity. It should speed up the reaction to your input, as you don't have a flybar between you and the blades.

But I don't like the way that the heli is controlled with AS3X. It's definitely different. For you calculus guys out there, you're specifying the 1st order derivative of the aircraft attitude with the stick. Push it farther and it moves faster. Center the stick and it stops changing attitude. Doesn't go back to neutral attitude when you center the stick -- you have to bring it back to center by pushing the stick the other way.

Hovering feels like balancing a baseball bat on my palm.
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
I was just kidding Joel... But looking at your comment, I think I just found my clone from the US.
I know - hence, the winking smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Joel, I agree with your coffee and beer theory, though Sam Adams (now THAT's American Beer) is my elixer of choice.
I am enjoying a Samuel Adams Double Bock as I type this. I also have a few Wee Heavies in the fridge.

Aye, a couple of fellow dark beer & robust coffee aficionados. Cool! Cheers to you both!

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 29, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:59 PM
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined May 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
I'm starting to wonder if I'll really like AS3X in a plane.

In a heli, a stability system greatly reduces part count and mechanical complexity. It should speed up the reaction to your input, as you don't have a flybar between you and the blades.

But I don't like the way that the heli is controlled with AS3X. It's definitely different. For you calculus guys out there, you're specifying the 1st order derivative of the aircraft attitude with the stick. Push it farther and it moves faster. Center the stick and it stops changing attitude. Doesn't go back to neutral attitude when you center the stick -- you have to bring it back to center by pushing the stick the other way.

Hovering feels like balancing a baseball bat on my palm.
Isn't it like that for all collective pitch helis and flybarless helis?
rcmaniac098202 is offline Find More Posts by rcmaniac098202
Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaniac098202 View Post
Isn't it like that for all collective pitch helis and flybarless helis?
Collective pitch can be done with a flybar and no gyros for the cyclic control (not counting the tail gyro, which you want in a heli). With a flybar, centering the cyclic will allow the bird to settle into a natural attitude. Push it one way, it goes that way. Center, it stops going that way. Not at all like flybarless.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:30 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
682 Posts
Matt,

As for AS3X in a plane, I can attest that I LOVE it in my 3D Beast! The B3D is the only AS3X plane I own. But I will say that AS3X in the B3D really makes a difference. She flys even more "on rails" and is the most solid-feeling plane of all the micros. She's a blast to fly and feels very much like a parkflyer scale plane. She'll take with stability and authority wind that blows my parkflyer Wildcat and Corsair around. It's almost like she does what I "think" her to do. Her maiden was almost a non-event as far as fear and challenges usually associated with maidening a new aircraft.

Got used to flying the V1 first. Love that one, too and still fly her occaisionally.
When I go back to the V1, I remind myself, "This is NOT the B3D. You have to FLY this one!" There's that much difference between the two.

I've not found AS3X to have any appreciable negative effect on doing aerobatics. It actually helps some of them, especially harriers and hovers. In steady wind, she wing-rocks far less than the V1 and has much improved stability and control.

Having said that, I will admit that AS3X does have drawbacks. Like a gyroscope, it tries to keep the aircraft "on heading". That means using the rudder on turns. Especially in low-wind flying, ailerons alone may not turn her. I find this to be even more true when flying inverted in low wind. It's not a big problem at all...just something to get used to.

All of this ponderous answer is to say: I'm really looking forward to the new Lil Spit having AS3X. She'll be no B3D, for sure, and won't be intended to be flown as one. But I'm hoping that with AS3X she will be another small plane I can fly in some wind in smaller flying areas. Can't wait to find out!

Hope this helps.

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Aug 30, 2012, 09:47 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Tom,

Nice description. Apparently you don't feel the difference that I feel in the helis, or at least not in a negative way.

I don't think I have a problem with using the rudder. The UM 4-Site and su26xp both need rudder input to turn, the former being much more sensitive than the latter.

The Night Vapor started out with the rudder control on the right stick. I couldn't fly it that way and set the mixes to move the control to the left stick. Much better.

But rudder control can't be the only difference?

I'm thinking of not buying one of these when the dealer gets one... (but can I resist?)
Old Aug 31, 2012, 08:38 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Matt - the value of the gyro is very different for a plane than a heli. I agree that it could get in the way with the heli - for new-to-heli guys like me, I need it to stay in the air, but could see how a more experienced pilot would find it unnatural.

For a plane, however, and especially a micro - it basically extends your flight envelope. These little things get tossed around by the smallest breath of wind - I'm sure you've experienced this if you ahve the Su26xp (though it's one of the more wind resistant). The difference the gyro makes in these to dampen - or even eliminate - the impact of the wind is incredible. If you haven't owned one, I'd recommend trying it. Whether or not the Spitfire will be the best choice for your first one, I don't know.

Personally, I fly a LOT in my front yard with the 1S micros, and throroughly enjoy the fact that they can zip around in a small space. However, on windier days, that small space doesn't leave a lot of room for error, so while i can still fly, it becomes less enjoyable. Additionally, the flights get less realistic when the plane is bouncing up and down and getting tossed around, which for me is a big part of the enjoyment. I'm dying to see how the Spitfire handles these situations.

How much longer????
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,420 Posts
I wish HH would come in here and tell us how much longer.
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 04:00 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I wish HH would come in here and tell us how much longer.
I can't believe they will allow it to miss the holiday season
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:32 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
PZ site says late October 2012...
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Aug 31, 2012, 05:39 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltpilot View Post
PZ site says late October 2012...
I knew HH wouldn't leave us emptly-handed on Halloween!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Sep 01, 2012, 02:50 AM
I am GBLynden
United States, WA, Lynden
Joined Mar 2011
2,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I sure hope that doesn't happen. Sure, some people start shopping early, but we have a few months before we can say that. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Brilliant sir!
GBLynden is offline Find More Posts by GBLynden
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:23 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBLynden View Post
I sure hope that doesn't happen. Sure, some people start shopping early, but we have a few months before we can say that. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened though!
End of October is pushing into the holiday season. The local malls decorate in September now
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post

Pugsam,

Don't tell me that bird in your pic is AS3X equipped? Land of Oz, that would be way too cool!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:48 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
Pugsam,
Don't tell me that bird in your pic is AS3X equipped? Land of Oz, that would be way too cool!
Tom
No, the flying witch doesn't have AS3X.......

http://www.flyrc.com/111109

........but.........

.......it would be very thematic to add a Hobby King ORANGE 3-Axis Flight Stabilizer!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=25448

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam