SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:43 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
No proper airfoil, undercambered, i think these um warbirds would be too fast with a semi-symmetrical wing.
Joel,
as has been noted, performance varies with these cheap pager motors, yours had lackluster performance until you added a hyp and a 5043, mine is strong enough to do a scale loop from a low speed aborted landing attempt, so some will be powerful, other will lack a bit, its probably worth it to buy an extra motor so you make sure you get one with ok power.
Also, ive noticed the 3 blade prop has great torque(my corsair and mossie have amazing vertical for a brushed airplane) but less speed than the two blades, so im expecting this 4 blade to have great low end power to haul all that wieght, but have a lower top speed, which i think is much better than being fast but having little power to climb.
AP,

I know that the performance of the 8.5mm motors varies. But the majority of people on the F4U thread & the majority of the people I know who bought one have commented about the lack of power in stock form. Therefore, there is more to the story than motor variability. Regarding the u/c airfoil - I was really hoping for a real warbird airfoil this time. I don't think it would make the plane fly too fast. This plane is approximately 1/28th scale, which means that it should fly at approximately 1/14th full-scale speed to look right. The Mk IX Spit could hit ~405 MPH in level flight. To be scale, the UMX Spit should be able to hit ~29 MPH in level flight. That's about the speed of a Sukhoi XP with a 5043 prop on a Hyp 180 cell.

We shall see....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:06 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Joel,
i agree with you.

But id be fine with a lower top speed than 29 mph
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:14 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Checked the PZ website, says due mid February, unlike most of their release dates, it must mean that its already on the boat on its way to warehouse!
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,529 Posts
Quote:
Checked the PZ website, says due mid February, unlike most of their release dates, it must mean that its already on the boat on its way to warehouse!
Yeah baby!!
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:30 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Joel,
i agree with you.

But id be fine with a lower top speed than 29 mph
AP,

For me, 25 MPH would be OK - provided that she can still do large, round loops from level flight. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 100' diameter would be good. That would be like the full-scale ship doing a 2800' diameter loop, which seems reasonable.

As much as I love WWII iron, and as much as I love Spitfires (the Spit is my second-favorite single-engine WWII fighter - right behind the P-47, which my dad flew) - I think I'll wait for some user reviews & videos before I pull the trigger on this one.

Already on the water? Guess we'll be soon finding out how she performs.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:21 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,566 Posts
For people looking for better performance you should read this thread for better replacement motors. I love spits and have one reserved at my LHS when they get there. I think those indoor stall turns are what you get at WOT at the 46g weight. A 4-Site struggles to hover with that motor at 36g. I hope they did a better job with the motor/rx positioning than with the Polecat. They can't deal with another recall like those. Looks like the wheels might be big enough for the indoor turf we fly off also. I look forward to it. And playing with the brick afterwards, maybe in my 4-Sites
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:06 AM
Joined Jan 2012
6 Posts
Arrrrrggggghhhhhh, I am so in trouble now, does PZ offer marriage counciling?
Bobthefrog is offline Find More Posts by Bobthefrog
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:09 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobthefrog View Post
Arrrrrggggghhhhhh, I am so in trouble now, does PZ offer marriage counciling?
Don't they know she gets half your budget when it goes bad?
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:40 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
. I hope they did a better job with the motor/rx positioning than with the Polecat. They can't deal with another recall like those. Looks like the wheels might be big enough for the indoor turf we fly off also. I look forward to it. And playing with the brick afterwards, maybe in my 4-Sites
The Motor spec'd is the Mustang motor, which means that the brick is a ways back from the motor vs a shorter wired motor. I would think with AS3X, the Brick has to be close to the CG of the plane, so it shouldn't be right behind the motor... unless that is where the CG is, like on a WWI rotary engine plane.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:09 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
I think the prop might have alot to do with more thrust/less speed, but its 100 dollars, with as3x, clear canopy panel lines guns scale gear doors scale prop, so giving rcbabbel 28 dollars for an sx motor, $128, i still think that's a great deal
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:45 AM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,110 Posts
Now the website says due mide may.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:56 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,481 Posts
Quote:
Now the website says due mide may.
Ouch...

Quote:
I think the prop might have alot to do with more thrust/less speed,
Prop wise, the Corsair prop is a 4.3X3.1X3 while the Spitfire prop is a 3.9X3.9X4, so sure enough, you will get more speed out of the Spitfire prop, as long as the motor can drive it! (3.1 vs 3.9). Power wise, a good old 5X4.3X2 probably draw almost the same as those props.

Sure enough, the Spitfire is quite heavy. 5gram more than the Corsair! Maybe it's a very efficient propeller after all!
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:21 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
AP,

Good point. Given that the SX motor provides something like 30-40% more thrust over a stock XP motor when both are running 5043 props, it should have no trouble swinging that hefty 4-blader. 28 bucks is a small price to pay for a performance increase of that magnitude. The SX motor allows the F4U to do extremely non-scale things, even on the stock prop - such as climb straight up from takeoff. I'm sure that if we do find that the Spit's power-to-weight leaves a bit to be desired, the SX motor will more than compensate for it! I'm back on the bandwagon. Hope there's enough room to get the CG right with a Hyp 240 in there!

RG,

As a rule, the more blades a prop has, the less efficient it is. That's why 1-blade props are the norm in control-line pylon racing. I'd rather bump the power up than get rid of that nice scale 4-blader, though - should the need for additional thrust arise.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Feb 02, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:23 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Thinking about the spitfires weight, I would guess it has a 3g dead weight in the nose.

The Brick has to be more Rearward than other micros to get on the CG And I there really isn't anything in the nose to get the weight up there.

If this is true the dead weight could become batteries.

Of course this is all just me guessing.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:35 PM
Houston, TX, US
Joined Jun 2000
1,652 Posts
Sure looks cool. As long as I can keep it in the air for a few minutes and pull off a few low passes, I'll be thrilled.
DaveG is offline Find More Posts by DaveG