SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:29 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Will normal servos handle the amount of movement that these stabilization system put them thru? The AS3X UMs are supposed to have some sort of upgraded linear servos, right?
The regular UM servos will not handle the stresses of AS3X. According to the engineers, they tried the regular UM servos, which burned up in just minutes. The new servos are mandatory with AS3X.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
I think I could use my cell phone for a tx. I'd keep it in my lap as I fly as in, "Okay, I've had enough fun, could someone give me some landing advice?"

Actually, I think the Spit and most fighters could get off pretty quick, but a nice long runway would be a big help getting back on the ground. These are planes you don't want to get too slow in unless you have a few thousand feet of room to recover.

Pete
LOL! Yeah, those birds could usually take off from strips that were far too short to land upon.

The phrase, 'get her up to 3 mistakes high' takes on a whole new meaning, 'eh?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:15 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
The regular UM servos will not handle the stresses of AS3X. According to the engineers, they tried the regular UM servos, which burned up in just minutes. The new servos are mandatory with AS3X.

Joel
I was talking more about you using that EagleTree system in your other planes and the standard servos used in those plane.

Thinking about it again. The tail gyro on helis pulses the tail servo to a pretty harsh extent also...and there are servos up to the task (speed and durability) for that.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Apr 19, 2012, 02:26 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
I was talking more about you using that EagleTree system in your other planes and the standard servos used in those plane.

Thinking about it again. The tail gyro on helis pulses the tail servo to a pretty harsh extent also...and there are servos up to the task (speed and durability) for that.
Ah, now I get it. I'm not sure what Eagle Tree recommends, but I'm already using using flybarless-rated high-speed/precision/digital/ball-bearing/metal-gear/heavy-duty servos in my fixed-wing ships, so I should be good to go. I would not use anything less in a fly-by-wire app.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
LOVE my new Mossie! Here's a brief report.

Almost no wind, and she flew great! Had her on 70% low rates and 95% high. Went to high within a minute after takeoff. Will turn low up to 75 or 80 most likely.

True, she's very tail heavy as everyone else reports. Had to give a lot of downtrim to keep her from ballooning. Will add weight in the nose which should help that.

Got her trimmed out...she still wanted to go left a bit and had to give her an abnormal amount of right aileron. But when I landed, I found that the rudder had lost its center and was steering right. Don't know what caused this. But it's centered again and ready for flight. Not a big deal, anyway. I'm just a bit particular on that...I like the aircraft to fly straight ahead hands-off rather than circle. Makes for more positive control, I think.

Absolutely beautiful on low flybys. I totally agree with those of you who said you enjoy the twin motors' sound. Quite a kick!

Landing was a non-event. Just kept a little power on and she glided down for a sweet landing...one tiny wheel bounce and that was it. Taxied smoothly right to my feet and then to the Jeep.

If the lil Spit is anything like this, she'll be sweet. Granted, the Spit is a fighter and the Mossie is a fighter-bomber...emphasis on the bomber! So the Spit should have a more exciting flight envelope, even with the AS3X system to tame it down. I'm thinking that the two should make quite a pair!
I used this in my Mossie and it flew great with the extra nose weight and being 500mah flies for a long time. Fits in with no mods
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...i-po-EFLB5001S
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztidbowler View Post
I used this in my Mossie and it flew great with the extra nose weight and being 500mah flies for a long time. Fits in with no mods
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...i-po-EFLB5001S
Thanks! I've seen that others are using this bat with the Mossie and they all say the same as you. I have one that came with my 120 SR and could try it. But don't you have to change the connector on the bat so it will plug into the lead in the Mossie? ...or do you have an adapter?
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Apr 27, 2012, 10:09 AM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,895 Posts
shepflyr,
This what I am using.
Gary

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-lead-BLH3126
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
Joined Aug 2011
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
shepflyr,
This what I am using.
Gary

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...r-lead-BLH3126
Cool! Thanks, Gary! I'll check it out. Our LHS should either have it or be able to get it.

Tom

PS: This will allow me to try the 500mAh battery I already have for the 120 SR. But I'll likely still PM RC Babbel and follow up on Joel's Hyperion suggestions he gave me on another thread...especially since I need to upgrade my Lil Beastie batteries at the same time.
Last edited by shepflyr; Apr 27, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: additional thought
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:36 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,967 Posts
Sorry to interrupt this Mossie thread, but I saw the Spitfire fly at SEFF this week - impressive, more so considering the high winds that it handled.

The finish is absolutely first class, accented by a beautiful four bladed prop.

Hard to believe that HH/Parkzone can provide such great value for only $99 MSRP. Of course no-one from HH had an idea of when it would be available.

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 28, 2012, 01:38 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01 View Post
sorry to interrupt this mossie thread.....
Gene k
lol

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Apr 28, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
lol

Sorry 'bout going OT with Mossie discussions. Guess I started that trying to decide which to get first.

So glad somebody's getting a glimpse of the new Lil' Spit. When she comes out and we can get our hands on her, likely the discussion will stay on her.

In the meantime, we just watch and listen to you who have gotten a glimpse... and drool.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 11:10 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,566 Posts
Fondled the display model at the Toledo Show. Looks stunning. I noticed only two things that concerned me. There is a lot of space between the spinner and the fuselage. It "felt" heavy in my hand. Noticeably heaver than the Corsair. Maybe the Spitfire had a battery installed. The covered battery mount is great BTW.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
Fondled the display model at the Toledo Show. Looks stunning. I noticed only two things that concerned me. There is a lot of space between the spinner and the fuselage. It "felt" heavy in my hand. Noticeably heaver than the Corsair. Maybe the Spitfire had a battery installed. The covered battery mount is great BTW.
Tim,

The website shows 47g AUW for the Spit & 42g for the F4U - which is a 12% increase in weight. How does that compare to how it felt?

A 12% weight increase is substantial in anything that flies. This is especially true with fighters & other high-performance aircraft. This plane should be a great candidate for a Bravo SX motor & a high-performance battery - an easy swap that will provide a 30%+ increase in thrust.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,566 Posts
It felt like the Spitfire had a battery in it and the Corsair did not. I don't know that I'd be able to feel a 5g difference with my hand.

The video of the Spitfire indicates that it doesn't lack power. I've had rotten luck with the Solo Pro motors in an umx Extra 300. Both the motors I've converted don't have the power of the stocker and really suck up the current. The stock motor and prop on a Thunder Power 160 will hover and punch out all the way through a 5 min flight timer. The Solo Pro barely hovers on a fresh battery.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2012, 10:48 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
It felt like the Spitfire had a battery in it and the Corsair did not. I don't know that I'd be able to feel a 5g difference with my hand.

The video of the Spitfire indicates that it doesn't lack power. I've had rotten luck with the Solo Pro motors in an umx Extra 300. Both the motors I've converted don't have the power of the stocker and really suck up the current. The stock motor and prop on a Thunder Power 160 will hover and punch out all the way through a 5 min flight timer. The Solo Pro barely hovers on a fresh battery.
Yeah, a 5-gram difference would probably be difficult to discern by hand.

The videos of the UM Corsair didn't indicate that it lacks power, but it does. A simple prop & battery swap solves the problem, however.

Regarding the SP motors - I assume that you used the pinion from the Extra. If so, you must have gotten a couple of bad SP motors. If you used the SP pinion - that would be the problem. I've been flying SP motors in my Sukhoi XP, UM Champ, and F4U for some time now. Those of us on the SP/SX motor swap thread have been using them in a wide range of UMs for quite awhile, now. Static RPM tests show essentially the same thrust as one of the 'better' UM P-51 motors - when both are equipped with 5043 props & Hyperion 240 mAh cells. Flight-times are essentially the same as they were with the P-51-style motor on the same prop & battery. A number of people are running the Bravo SX motor in the Sukhoi XP & other UMs. RCBabbel reported nearly 60 grams of thrust with his SX-equipped XP on a 5043 prop & Hyp 240 cell.

Joel
RCG Plus Member