HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 08, 2012, 07:32 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,214 Posts
Mossie is a sweet heart, a sexy sweetheart.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2012, 09:57 AM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
827 Posts
Well, I just bought a Mossie! My LHS manager made me deal on one he'd had for a few months...a deal I couldn't refuse. So she went home with me. He'd sold 3 and said they'd never come back, and he wanted me to have this last one.

I've always loved her classy looks and have been thinking she'd be an interesting addition to my hangar...and likely a cool stablemate for the Lil' Spit when she eventually comes out.

I've gotten her ready to fly and done some fun taxi practice in the driveway. I'm waiting for a light or no wind day...and time when I can get away...to see what a "sweetheart" she is. I'll let you know, but probably on the Mossie thread...don't want to be guilty of too much OT conversation on this one!

But thanks for your helpful input!

Shepflyr
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:20 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
too bad there isn't a Dornier, Arado, or a ME262 or BF109 for this little spit to dogfight with
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:36 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
too bad there isn't a Dornier, Arado, or a ME262 or BF109 for this little spit to dogfight with
Just wait, I'm sure they'll announce one soon, then all you'll have to do is wait some more!

I'm waiting for the B-17 myself.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 11, 2012, 07:46 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
588 Posts
Still, a UMX Me262 EDF would be SO cool.

I'm still waiting on my UMX beaver or Beech Baron
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
Still, a UMX Me262 EDF would be SO cool.

I'm still waiting on my UMX beaver or Beech Baron
I've seen local guys put the guts into Gillows or Comet wooden rubber powered kits as a conversion. There was a really sharp Stearman last fall
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:04 AM
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
490 Posts
How about a micro P-38 with AS3X?
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:25 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovector View Post
How about a micro P-38 with AS3X?
I'd go for that before a Mossie
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Dec 2011
203 Posts
Kinda wondering why they would even bother putting AS3X on a 1 cell micro. Sure it will fly a little more stable, but the main bonus of the system is windy flying ability, and a 1 cell brushed micro will be way to weak in real wind. Is this plane out yet?... anyone have one?
dragonshade is offline Find More Posts by dragonshade
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:12 AM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonshade View Post
Kinda wondering why they would even bother putting AS3X on a 1 cell micro. Sure it will fly a little more stable, but the main bonus of the system is windy flying ability, and a 1 cell brushed micro will be way to weak in real wind. Is this plane out yet?... anyone have one?
Huh???

I've flown my original Sukhoi in some pretty ferocious wind. It's a one cell brushed setup.

Maybe now that AS3X is available some other fliers might join me.

No, nobody has one yet. I did see one at the WRAM show and it's much nicer than most of the older UM's

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Chesapeake Bay RC Club
USA, MD, Annapolis
Joined Feb 2005
4,961 Posts
Quote:
Kinda wondering why they would even bother putting AS3X on a 1 cell micro.
I have flown my Mossie in winds strong enough to require about half throttle just to stop if from flying backwards on landing approach! It bounces and tries to roll over while in flight due to gusts. 2 guys watching from the pit area said they expected it to be in either the trees or ground. I would very much like to have AS3X in my Mossie as the technology makes a UM fly like a much larger plane.
Gary
Gary Hoorn is offline Find More Posts by Gary Hoorn
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:54 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
I have flown my Mossie in winds strong enough to require about half throttle just to stop if from flying backwards on landing approach! It bounces and tries to roll over while in flight due to gusts.
Yes, there are days when conditions are not ideal for micro flying, and AS3X should make marginal conditions like this more comfortably flyable.

I've had to do a good portion of my learning on the HZ Champ in these kinds of conditions. Even when the wind is not that strong overall, the air tends to be very unstable around here at the foot of the Rockies. I'm pretty good at handling it now, and actually kind of enjoy "surfing" the wind at zero ground-speed, but wouldn't mind having AS3X on my next micro to take the edge off.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:08 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Personnally, I don't care about strong winds... I absolutely love flying my little Mustang because I think it's the best looking 1S UM. But I hate when I fly low, and it goes up or down because of just a little bit of wind. AS3X will take care of that and make it look more scale (or more like an heavier airplane). If it's too windy, I fly my bigger airplanes, but I do love AS3X for those time where you get 3 to 8mph wind. Any UM can fly in that, but with AS3X, it's like there's no wind.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Apr 13, 2012, 02:35 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,037 Posts
I have the Beast 3D and it still does the "phantom" (shifts altitude on a wind gust faster than the eye can see). It is a lot easier to hold a heading, but strong wind is no match for a tiny piece of foam.
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:55 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug View Post
Huh???

I've flown my original Sukhoi in some pretty ferocious wind. It's a one cell brushed setup.

Maybe now that AS3X is available some other fliers might join me.

No, nobody has one yet. I did see one at the WRAM show and it's much nicer than most of the older UM's

Pete
I saw the WRAM show one also. Similar finish to the Polecat. Can't wait for it
RCG Plus Member