Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Oh, I will.
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Dec 2012
45 Posts
yoyoyo

Ok just tell me one thing. Which is more durable? UM spitfire or the um p-40 warhawk? I heard some people complain about the spitfire wing that it is fragile. So which is more durable?
srinu is offline Find More Posts by srinu
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:56 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,768 Posts
srinu,
Considering P-40 just started showing up on the shelf for a month or so, you may want to give it some time for people who already have the Spit to also get the P-40, fly them for a while, then have those answers. In another month or 2, I'd assume those answer would be much more readily available.

As for my Spit, got opportunity for 2nd outing today. 3 batteries thru it (1 of 25C and 2 at 35C). The 35C were noticeably more power so well worth the extra $1 for it. Still some more work on trimming out left roll, up pitch, and left yaw. Mechanical trimming pitch and yaw are easy but roll... While my intent is to pull the gear off, I belly land all except 1 plane and gear landing this plane is adding a new fun for me so may leave it on for a while.

As for my last comment from the maiden and needing to rebind. I just figured out that it takes somewhere between 5-10 seconds for the RX to boot up and tie in with the TX. The instruction did say 5 seconds and I'm just used to the normal DSM2 RX that is ready well within 1 second. I was worried I had a defective plane for a while there.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 AM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Charging 4 batts for mine... hopefully it's not too terribly windy for a little flight time.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
767 Posts
I LOVE this Lil Spit! Flew my Radian late this afternoon and the wind picked up almost immediately...TV said it was 3-4mph, but when I got home the TV said 9-10. Wind was variable in direction an the air was unstable. Had a lot of fun with the Radian, but it got bumped and blown around quite a bit.

The Lil Spit took it on with ease!!! Since I fly over grass, the LG is removed. She had no trouble staying on heading, doing loops and rolls and other warbird maneuvers. Was able to keep her close...almost hovering several times. She looked great!

Had a family with little boy watching and they loved both planes, but especially the Spit. They were really impressed with what she could do in the wind and how good she looked doing it. Mom and Dad are both air traffic controllers, and Dad may get into the hobby at some point. A great day at the field, and I'm constantly delighted and surprised at what a great little flyer this Lil Spit is!

COMPARISON with UM P-40 Warhawk: So far, I'd say get the Spit if you have to make a choice. She's more powerful than the P-40 because of the 4-bladed prop. And the P-40's CG is more of an issue. It's likely balanced with the LG on. Without the LG it's very tail heavy. In wind it balloons big time and is harder to control in winds the Spit would just spit at. (sorry for the pun! ). I'm still working that out and hope I don't have to add nose weight.

To be honest, I'm still rebuilding and adjusting the Warhawk. She came in with the empennage WAY off center and the ailerons not leveled. Have to try her out now that I've worked on those issues...waiting for a good low wind day. I think the P-40 will also be a good little bird when I get it trimmed out. It does look really cool in the air!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:45 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
Nice report with good useful info and a description of flying fun... Thanks!
Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:51 AM
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Well it wasn't too windy yesterday I was just too dumb. Lost orientation since my camo green spitfire flies in a field bordered by tall pine trees and smashed it in hard. Tore the wing in half. Tiny bit of foam-tac later and you can hardly tell
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:30 AM
United States, TN, Knox
Joined Sep 2011
126 Posts
I feel yore pain...
Keep 'em flying!
Cheers!
pegasus.pony is offline Find More Posts by pegasus.pony
Last edited by pegasus.pony; Feb 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: fun
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Well it wasn't too windy yesterday I was just too dumb. Lost orientation since my camo green spitfire flies in a field bordered by tall pine trees and smashed it in hard. Tore the wing in half. Tiny bit of foam-tac later and you can hardly tell

You're not the first pilot to find out the hard way how well her camo paint job works! ...and you're likely not gonna be the last!

Just happy that the foam-tac worked and that she'll fly again.

Sympathy and congrats!

Tom
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:33 PM
Spitflier
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Feb 2012
189 Posts
Lost her in the sun today near a tree so did an emergency single point landing.
Crushed the spinner but all else is good! Such a great plane. Constantly impressed and she's great on the 35C batteries.
First flight above freezing today and she amazed me how long she lasted on a battery. 4:20 on her without a hint of LVC even under load. Awesome!
StompinThom is offline Find More Posts by StompinThom
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:16 PM
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr View Post
You're not the first pilot to find out the hard way how well her camo paint job works! ...and you're likely not gonna be the last!

Just happy that the foam-tac worked and that she'll fly again.

Sympathy and congrats!

Tom
Thanks Tom. The wind was blowing 100000 miles per hour it seemed all day. No way I'd take any plane whatsoever out, crap. I wanted to see if the spit still flies as great as it did beforehand. Also I tell the family we HAVE to go fly because it isn't safe leaving charged lipo batteries in the house!

Ben
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:51 PM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StompinThom View Post
First flight above freezing today and she amazed me how long she lasted on a battery. 4:20 on her without a hint of LVC even under load. Awesome!
What throttle setting were you using for that time length?

I've been flying 5 minutes on 3/4 throttle. I'm on stock charger for now. Cable on order to use my normal bigger charger that will tell me voltage as well as may put back so I can judge if I'm discharging too much or not.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:24 PM
Spitflier
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Feb 2012
189 Posts
It's just cos I've been flying at -8 to-12 C and the batteries don't last long in that!

I think these are easily 5 min batteries when it's warm.
StompinThom is offline Find More Posts by StompinThom
Last edited by StompinThom; Feb 17, 2013 at 10:42 AM.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined May 2012
8,768 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Here are some photos of the repair, the cracks are more noticeable in the flash of the camera than they are just looking at the plane. It's more visible on the top of the wing where the paint didn't quite lay back down flush.
RCG Plus Member