SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:40 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
Babbel I know I've asked you probably 5 times by now but what is the exact increase with the sx motor? Is there a grams of thrust measurement? I have a buddy thats really interested but wants the specs. Sorry for being lazy, searching blogs/posts is a pain on the tablet!
3d,

Here are some SX static RPM #s...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=361

I've noticed that the performance of SP & SX motors improve after 20~30 break-in flights.

rc

ps. I now have an excellent source for nano 2-pin connectors that should be arriving today or tomorrow.
Ready-To-Run SX motor orders will no longer require old stock motors to be sent to me for parts.
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:51 AM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
3d,

Here are some SX static RPM #s...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=361

I've noticed that the performance of SP & SX motors improve after 20~30 break-in flights.

rc

ps. I now have an excellent source for nano 2-pin connectors that should be arriving today or tomorrow.
Ready-To-Run SX motor orders will no longer require old stock motors to be sent to me for parts.
This is fantastic news, as my P-51 poo-ed itself but needs a new RCBABBEL SX Motor! Planning a few other mods, as well, such as 4-blade prop and no more undercambered wings
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:43 PM
Clean up! The missus is home
United States, MD, Salisbury
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
I got the Spit a couple of days ago. Today was my first chance to fly her,albit a bit windy! All I can say is well done Parkzone. The AS3x is a great bit of kit! Now I need to get more batteries.
huntingfield is offline Find More Posts by huntingfield
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntingfield View Post
I got the Spit a couple of days ago. Today was my first chance to fly her,albit a bit windy! All I can say is well done Parkzone. The AS3x is a great bit of kit! Now I need to get more batteries.
Yes this plane made me buy new batteries as well..... the calm evenings where I can zip it around a foot off the deck are amazing. I had it so low the other day I scraped a wingtip!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:51 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Ok, after almost 4 months of nonsense trying to get a defective Spitfire replaced, it finally came last night and it works!!

I don't have time right now to read this whole thread, so could someone kindly summarize what y'all think are good mods for this little critter?

Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:57 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCube View Post
Ok, after almost 4 months of nonsense trying to get a defective Spitfire replaced, it finally came last night and it works!!

I don't have time right now to read this whole thread, so could someone kindly summarize what y'all think are good mods for this little critter?

Joseph
put the battery in it and go FLY!!
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Old Feb 12, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
x1000!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:08 PM
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2003
143 Posts
Is it common for the spitfire to run tail heavy?
npinnau is offline Find More Posts by npinnau
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:38 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by npinnau View Post
Is it common for the spitfire to run tail heavy?
Weather has only allowed 1 flight on mine so far. With landing gear and stock lipo, it felt like it was dragging its tail a little in turns so would indicate tail heaviness. However, it was still easily flyable probably thanks to AS3X.

Spitfire airframes tend to have problem with balancing seeing how close to the nose the wing sits compared to other planes. With many models, you'll see lipo and most electronics shoved to the front as much as possible.
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109
Old Feb 13, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109 View Post
Weather has only allowed 1 flight on mine so far. With landing gear and stock lipo, it felt like it was dragging its tail a little in turns so would indicate tail heaviness. However, it was still easily flyable probably thanks to AS3X.

Spitfire airframes tend to have problem with balancing seeing how close to the nose the wing sits compared to other planes. With many models, you'll see lipo and most electronics shoved to the front as much as possible.
When your spit was dragging its tail in turns, were you using rudder to turn as well? Could just be some adverse yaw you were seeing and not so much heaviness. The best test I've found is from straight and level flight, cut the throttle. If the nose drops slightly, you're ok, if the nose pitches up, you're tail heavy.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:06 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
Majority of my planes are aileron & elevator only so I then to not use rudder. Balanced right, my other planes would track thru turns and drop nose if nose heavy and opposite otherwise. That said, good point with adverse yaw as I'm used to 2 bladed props. I was also doing left turns in pattern which may magnified that. I'll have to try right hand turns next time and see how it looks.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:15 AM
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
Majority of my planes are aileron & elevator only so I then to not use rudder. Balanced right, my other planes would track thru turns and drop nose if nose heavy and opposite otherwise. That said, good point with adverse yaw as I'm used to 2 bladed props. I was also doing left turns in pattern which may magnified that. I'll have to try right hand turns next time and see how it looks.
I always rudder through turns and it never looks droopy to me. Adverse yaw would come about from the ailerons, I don't know how much a propeller would affect it. However, I have to say, I did minimal adjustments to the u-bends for elevator and rudder and mine flies very, very well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:12 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,751 Posts
I'm thinking adverse torque as opposed to adverse yaw with more mass (blades) from this prop.

Like I say, majority of my planes don't have rudders and when balanced well, they track very nice. Certain planes limit me in c.g. adjustments so nose dropping or tail dropping is usually seen.

I'm one of the slightly unfortunate ones where mine didn't fly perfectly right out of the box. Needs very large left roll and slight pitch up trimmed out. I'm a seasoned flyer so it didn't mess me up but I can see noobs potentially crashing theirs. Don't know if I would blame PZ for poor manufacturing quality since mine could have been damaged in transit due to heavy handed delivery dudes.

This plane is only the first of my eventual many AS3X, but next one I buy will most likely need to have brushless as stock.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined May 2012
8,377 Posts
Quote:
I'm thinking adverse torque as opposed to adverse yaw with more mass (blades) from this prop.

Like I say, majority of my planes don't have rudders and when balanced well, they track very nice. Certain planes limit me in c.g. adjustments so nose dropping or tail dropping is usually seen.

I'm one of the slightly unfortunate ones where mine didn't fly perfectly right out of the box. Needs very large left roll and slight pitch up trimmed out. I'm a seasoned flyer so it didn't mess me up but I can see noobs potentially crashing theirs. Don't know if I would blame PZ for poor manufacturing quality since mine could have been damaged in transit due to heavy handed delivery dudes.

This plane is only the first of my eventual many AS3X, but next one I buy will most likely need to have brushless as stock.
Mine needed the elevator adjusted out of the box. If you take your time (talking to newbies here, not yourself) and visually align all of the control surfaces by adjusting the u-bends on the control rods the best you can, then your chances of a successful maiden go waaaay up. I promise you just by mechanically trimming my Spitfire, it tracks nearly straight as an arrow hands off the sticks, with zero tx trim or subtrim. What an incredible plane
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:34 PM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman
Ok!
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube