SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:31 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I have the SX motor and wouldn't put a brushless setup in because I fly mine indoors where it already seems very quick.

At the last indoor a guy had a P40 and while it look fantastic it was pretty tail heavy right of the box. There might have been something up with it as well, I flew it but it flew horribly compared to my TUNED and TRIMMED spitfire.
Hey Matt,

Were you able to get a good power comparison between the two motors?

What prop are you using on your Spit?

Thanks,

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:53 AM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
I don't have the equipment to make a true test with numbers and rpm's and such that you guys do. However, it is noticeable faster and has the ability to loop from a very shallow dive. Not from level flight but that is okay.

A definite positive power increase for sure. I am using the stock 4 blade prop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBABBEL View Post
Hey Matt,

Were you able to get a good power comparison between the two motors?

What prop are you using on your Spit?

Thanks,

rc
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:42 AM
**I'm Battman**
Twin Falls, Idaho
Joined Jan 2005
8,691 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt View Post
I don't have the equipment to make a true test with numbers and rpm's and such that you guys do. However, it is noticeable faster and has the ability to loop from a very shallow dive. Not from level flight but that is okay.

A definite positive power increase for sure. I am using the stock 4 blade prop.

Appreciate that!

If you are ever tempted to ditch that stock 4 blade prop...
Throw on a GWS 5043.
I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the 'outdoor' performance.

rc
RCBABBEL is online now Find More Posts by RCBABBEL
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:42 PM
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Oct 2010
1,864 Posts
Oh I know the difference those props can make! I have other planes that go fast!
IndyMatt is offline Find More Posts by IndyMatt
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:36 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
794 Posts
So I'm putting a new fuse on mine. Does anyone know the best wat to put these push rods together?
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:13 PM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Get some beacon foam-tac and make a tiny hinge using the glue in place of the broken plastic one. There are videos on youtube, it's very easy to do. Plus foam-tac is the best glue I've found for foam work.
x100000 this stuff is worth its weight in gold! I use it on everything and its light as can be without causing the foam to be hard and brittle when it dries.

What happened with the mcpx brushless tail motor mod? Cant seem to find it on my tablet
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:25 PM
Exodus 4:13
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
9,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d astronaut View Post
x100000 this stuff is worth its weight in gold! I use it on everything and its light as can be without causing the foam to be hard and brittle when it dries.

What happened with the mcpx brushless tail motor mod? Cant seem to find it on my tablet
Foam tac Is great stuff just don't use it in tension load. You'll have to clamp it forever.
bhoov128 is offline Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:29 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,577 Posts
Quote:
Still sputtering along over here
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 06:48 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Still sputtering along over here
Thank you!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:46 PM
Bunch of RCs,can't fly 1/2
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
I have a question about the sx motor replace/upgrade.
How do you do the replace/upgrade? Do you yank the motor out of the motor mount while still attached to the fuse? Or do you cut the mount out of the fuse? I've seen pix and post of the mod. But not a comprehensive step by step of the procedure.
alphanate is offline Find More Posts by alphanate
Old Feb 11, 2013, 07:52 PM
Micro enthusiast
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Aug 2011
819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanate View Post
I have a question about the sx motor replace/upgrade.
How do you do the replace/upgrade? Do you yank the motor out of the motor mount while still attached to the fuse? Or do you cut the mount out of the fuse? I've seen pix and post of the mod. But not a comprehensive step by step of the procedure.
Alphanate,
When I changed my motor over to a SX from RC Babbel, I just opened the fuse by cutting the decals and tape and used a pair of medical clamps to twist and pull the old motor out. The gearbox remains glued into the fuse, youll have to be careful there isnt much room to maneuver, between the board and the motor.
But it is possible, and then just slide in the new SX motor, thread the wire to the right place and connect it in. I used a bit of CA to fasten the motor to the gearbox.
Regards,
Nath.
Groovechampion is offline Find More Posts by Groovechampion
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:25 PM
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovechampion View Post
Alphanate,
When I changed my motor over to a SX from RC Babbel, I just opened the fuse by cutting the decals and tape and used a pair of medical clamps to twist and pull the old motor out. The gearbox remains glued into the fuse, youll have to be careful there isnt much room to maneuver, between the board and the motor.
But it is possible, and then just slide in the new SX motor, thread the wire to the right place and connect it in. I used a bit of CA to fasten the motor to the gearbox.
Regards,
Nath.
Thx for the reply. I was thinking it could be done like that. My two concerns was that the motor had a really strong glue from HH,and the space between the motor and the board. Thx for clearing that up for me.

I also was wondering (since I have a spare new one), if any one has tried to install( if possible) a msrx motor? Or a sr120 tail motor?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 PM
Joined Sep 2011
4,112 Posts
Babbel I know I've asked you probably 5 times by now but what is the exact increase with the sx motor? Is there a grams of thrust measurement? I have a buddy thats really interested but wants the specs. Sorry for being lazy, searching blogs/posts is a pain on the tablet!
Old Feb 12, 2013, 01:19 AM
Joined Aug 2011
114 Posts
Quote:
Babbel I know I've asked you probably 5 times by now but what is the exact increase with the sx motor? Is there a grams of thrust measurement? I have a buddy thats really interested but wants the specs. Sorry for being lazy, searching blogs/posts is a pain on the tablet!
I don't mean to cut off your question to babbel. I just want to say that I've read here that its about a thirty percent increase from the stock motor.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 09:30 AM
Houston, TX
Joined Jan 2008
5,779 Posts
Increase in thrust is nice. I'm just after a motor (brushed if need be) to last me 100 flights between replacements. Will the SX last that long?
dude_109 is offline Find More Posts by dude_109