HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:08 AM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler View Post
By announcing it early, they probably monitor this forum and likely adjust production a bit based on the level of excitement they see here. Maybe even more today since they announced many new models just a few months apart, so making sure your warehouse are not filled with unsold product is a must. So far, it does look like the Mig and the Cub. They can get the expensive part from manufacturing in large qty (receiver, servos, motor) but likely go easy on the foam if they think one airplane will not sell as well as another.

Other reason is likely that in today's communication age, keeping the lid on something is very hard. So, instead of letting somebody else spread some information from the assembly line, they prefer to do it themselves.
To sum that up in two words:

HYPE MACHINE
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:55 PM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,571 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
To sum that up in two words:

HYPE MACHINE
it's working
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:06 PM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
541 Posts
same here. Hopefully this will be my next UM
JSS4 is offline Find More Posts by JSS4
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:13 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
pugsam's Avatar
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,630 Posts
Reminds me of back in the day, when millions of guys anxiously awaited the new lineup of automobiles each year.

pugsam is offline Find More Posts by pugsam
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:14 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,582 Posts
I was thinking, with this planes big 4 blade prop, the MCPx heli lipos could wake it up more..
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:07 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I was thinking, with this planes big 4 blade prop, the MCPx heli lipos could wake it up more..
Even with the two-blade Mustang/XP/Pole Cat prop, a decent battery makes a very big difference with these 1s planes. I'm sure this one will benefit even more, given that it draws more current than Horizon's previous 1s 'single-engine' UM planes.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:20 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Even with the two-blade Mustang/XP/Pole Cat prop, a decent battery makes a very big difference with these 1s planes. I'm sure this one will benefit even more, given that it draws more current than Horizon's previous 1s 'single-engine' UM planes.

Joel
Yeah, I fly them in my SU26xp and love them!
I have some new CommonSense 300mah 35c packs I want to try.. they kick butt in my MCPx
I wonder how the Spit 4 blade prop would work on my SU26xp?
would be sweet on my P-51
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 08:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2012
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Yeah, I fly them in my SU26xp and love them!
I have some new CommonSense 300mah 35c packs I want to try.. they kick butt in my MCPx
I wonder how the Spit 4 blade prop would work on my SU26xp?
would be sweet on my P-51
I thought it was interesting that they went with the Spitfire and Mig and not Mustang and Sabre. All are cool planes, but it seems that the latter are more, popular?
MileHighTakeOff is offline Find More Posts by MileHighTakeOff
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:19 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHighTakeOff View Post
I thought it was interesting that they went with the Spitfire and Mig and not Mustang and Sabre. All are cool planes, but it seems that the latter are more, popular?
I would love to see a micro P-40
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 12:49 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
Yeah, I fly them in my SU26xp and love them!
I have some new CommonSense 300mah 35c packs I want to try.. they kick butt in my MCPx
I wonder how the Spit 4 blade prop would work on my SU26xp?
would be sweet on my P-51
Bl,

It will not perform anywhere near as well as the 5043 - which is also the case with the F4U's 3-blade prop. The more blades, the less efficient the prop - as each successive blade operates in the turbulence created by the blades before it. Clearance issues and supersonic tip-speed problems are the only reasons that full-scale planes use more than two blades. One-blade props are the most efficient of all. That's why 1-bladers are the prop of choice for control-line racing.

BTW - I want a UM Jug. But I'd want it to be 2s brushless, with a proper semi-symmetrical airfoil & flaps. The Jug is my favorite WWII plane. My dad flew 'em in northern Italy during WWII.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:36 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Razors edge 29's Avatar
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,045 Posts
I'm with you Joel

UM 2S P47




Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bl,

It will not perform anywhere near as well as the 5043 - which is also the case with the F4U's 3-blade prop. The more blades, the less efficient the prop - as each successive blade operates in the turbulence created by the blades before it. Clearance issues and supersonic tip-speed problems are the only reasons that full-scale planes use more than two blades. One-blade props are the most efficient of all. That's why 1-bladers are the prop of choice for control-line racing.

BTW - I want a UM Jug. But I'd want it to be 2s brushless, with a proper semi-symmetrical airfoil & flaps. The Jug is my favorite WWII plane. My dad flew 'em in northern Italy during WWII.

Joel
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 01:22 PM
Registered User
brushless55's Avatar
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Bl,

It will not perform anywhere near as well as the 5043 - which is also the case with the F4U's 3-blade prop. The more blades, the less efficient the prop - as each successive blade operates in the turbulence created by the blades before it. Clearance issues and supersonic tip-speed problems are the only reasons that full-scale planes use more than two blades. One-blade props are the most efficient of all. That's why 1-bladers are the prop of choice for control-line racing.

BTW - I want a UM Jug. But I'd want it to be 2s brushless, with a proper semi-symmetrical airfoil & flaps. The Jug is my favorite WWII plane. My dad flew 'em in northern Italy during WWII.

Joel
I don't really care about puting a 2 blade on this Spit..
if it has the pitch and works good, I will put one on my little P-51
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:02 PM
Have fun
airpower's Avatar
Joined May 2007
6,125 Posts
they could make a UMX 2S BL warbird, but I think its branding. They have the brand of the parkzone ultra micro warbird, and they're all 1S w/ coreless motors.
But I guess we could compromise, and put a sx motor in the Spit With the sx motor it would have to have enough power to feel like a sprightly spit, as3x would help in wind, and it looks great, with the sx motor, it would be perfect.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:05 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
I don't really care about puting a 2 blade on this Spit..
if it has the pitch and works good, I will put one on my little P-51
You specifically asked about putting the Spit's 4-blade prop on the XP - which is the question to which I was replying. I did not mention anything about putting a 2-blade on the Spit. As I said, the 4-blade prop won't perform as well as the XP's stock prop or the 5043.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2012, 02:07 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
turboparker's Avatar
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
they could make a UMX 2S BL warbird, but I think its branding. They have the brand of the parkzone ultra micro warbird, and they're all 1S w/ coreless motors.
But I guess we could compromise, and put a sx motor in the Spit With the sx motor it would have to have enough power to feel like a sprightly spit, as3x would help in wind, and it looks great, with the sx motor, it would be perfect.
AP,

That's also what I was thinking. If she's a bit shy on power, the SX motor's 40% increase in thrust aught to take care of that quite nicely.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product E-flite UMX MiG 15 Ducted Fan Jet with AS3X Bowerz Micro Ready-to-Fly 138 Jul 19, 2014 03:58 PM
Article Horizon Hobby Blade mQX Micro Quad-Copter with AS3X RTF & BNF Review Michael Heer Multirotor Talk 30 Feb 22, 2013 08:47 AM
New Product E-Flite UMX Mig 15 with AS3X! Bowerz Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 4 Jan 16, 2012 07:02 PM
Discussion UMX S-Bach or Beast 3d (with AS3X)? The Spirit 3D Foamies 6 Jan 07, 2012 05:41 AM
Sold Eflite UMX Beast 3D BNF with AS3X Technology baddb1 Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Dec 19, 2011 05:42 AM