SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:42 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp View Post
How fast do you really want a 16" parkflyer to go? I have 20/20 vision (after contacts anyways) and am a pretty decent pilot, but these things are tiny. If the as-delivered plane performs like the one in the demo video HH released and in the video posted previously, how is that not pretty close to "good enough," quibbles about brushed 1s vs brushless 2s aside?

I'm not trying to be combative or call you out, just offer what I think is a reasonable rejoinder.

Steve

P.S. - Given the inverted performance, I'd be pretty surprised if it was an undercambered wing. I'm guessing it's probably semisymmetrical.
Steve,

I'll put it this way. The Sukhoi XP tops out at about 25-30 MPH with the right prop & battery, as does the Pole Cat. The UMX Sbach can hit closer to 40 MPH with the right prop & pack. With the right prop & pack, the UMX Stryker 180 can hit nearly 60. I have no trouble flying the Sukhoi, Pole Cat, or Sbach in an indoor soccer court. So, I'd say anywhere between 30-40 MPH would be just perfect.

The wing is undercambered, just like the other warbirds & the UMX Gee Bee.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2012, 07:30 AM
I'm BIG on micros
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Mar 2011
565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
Sure, as long as the receiver has a brushless mode so you can feed the signal into the external ESC; we are expecting this receiver to have this mode like the AR6400 does. My recipe would be AP05 + 6A ESC + diode + 2S 180 battery + 4530 prop. A 1S conversion isn't really worth the trouble because you won't get more power - you will get less. 2S will knock your socks off!
Well, the AR64oo I got for one of my builds had a brushless mode. That might work.
JSS4 is online now Find More Posts by JSS4
Old Feb 19, 2012, 12:59 AM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSS4 View Post
Well, the AR64oo I got for one of my builds had a brushless mode. That might work.
Yeah, that will work but the new Rx has AS3X! (want to try that)
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
The pictures of the ASK-21's receiver board show a 3 pin connector for the motor, and in the AS3X FAQ thread it was confirmed that the Spitfire and ASK-21 have the same RX. I would be VERY surprised if they did NOT have a brushless mode, especially since it is the replacement for the AR6400 which has a brushless mode.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Feb 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Baron View Post
The pictures of the ASK-21's receiver board show a 3 pin connector for the motor, and in the AS3X FAQ thread it was confirmed that the Spitfire and ASK-21 have the same RX. I would be VERY surprised if they did NOT have a brushless mode, especially since it is the replacement for the AR6400 which has a brushless mode.
right, it might not have a brushless ESC built in but once you get the signals off you are good.
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:05 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Exactly. In theory you could also drive another servo off of it, bet someone will do that for speed brakes on the ASK-21.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:39 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Exactly. In theory you could also drive another servo off of it, bet someone will do that for speed brakes on the ASK-21.
I haven't seen the picture of it but i will bet it has the 4 pin X port or whatever they call it that has channel 5 & 6 pinouts, power, ground, 2 signals just like the 4-Site brick does I've seen people run an external ESC off those when the stock ESC got toasted on the old bricks
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Fly, be free! (splat)
United States, CA, Danville
Joined Jan 2008
1,377 Posts
Quote:
Excellent! My AP05 is standing by. Gonna have to loose the new 4-blade prop to get high performance though; that's the only drawback I can think of.
jdwolters is offline Find More Posts by jdwolters
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:12 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,143 Posts
The xport on the ask is used by the tow line release servo. Ive been thinking of removing it as i will probably never use the towing feature.
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:22 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The xport on the ask is used by the tow line release servo. Ive been thinking of removing it as i will probably never use the towing feature.
it should be a 2 channel (4 wire) port so you can probably just piggyback the second servo there
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:03 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I haven't seen the picture of it but i will bet it has the 4 pin X port or whatever they call it that has channel 5 & 6 pinouts, power, ground, 2 signals just like the 4-Site brick does I've seen people run an external ESC off those when the stock ESC got toasted on the old bricks
The X-port just has Channel 5 (gear) on an AR6400. I haven't seen anyone who has found channel 6 in there.

Channel 6 is next to the Channel 2 plug.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Feb 20, 2012, 06:47 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Correct....

The AR6400 is a 6 channel receiver. There's four plugs for the servos, one for the motor and one for the Xport for a total of 6 ports.

No matter what, if someone really want to use the tow hook AND the airbrake, they could make a Y cable. When you hit the release button, you activate the airbrake. With good communication between the pilot of the CC and the ASK, it should be possible to release, even if you hit the airbrake at the same time for a split second.

If not, the output of the motor is the one you want to use since there's no motor anyway. It should be like any typical AR6400 so a servo could be plugged into it. Hit the throttle, you have airbrakes... Or simply mix throttle to the flap switch.
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:17 PM
GEEBEE Can't WAIT!
USA, OR, Seaside
Joined Dec 2010
1,422 Posts
Siiiiiiiiiggghh................. Subscribed................... Yet another....
perschek is offline Find More Posts by perschek
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:26 PM
UK, Hereford and Worcester, Worcester
Joined Feb 2009
634 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I'll put it this way. The Sukhoi XP tops out at about 25-30 MPH with the right prop & battery, as does the Pole Cat. The UMX Sbach can hit closer to 40 MPH with the right prop & pack. With the right prop & pack, the UMX Stryker 180 can hit nearly 60. I have no trouble flying the Sukhoi, Pole Cat, or Sbach in an indoor soccer court.
Are you saying that you have no trouble flying them WOT in an indoor soccer court, or that you fly them there with a lower throttle setting?
aracer is offline Find More Posts by aracer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:06 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Joined Feb 2010
3,573 Posts
They do exist and look great. Glad I have one reserved. The down side is they claimed early June deliveries.

Sighted at WRAM 2012
RCG Plus Member