HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:35 PM
FLB
Montreal-Toulouse
Joined Jul 2002
420 Posts
After all those videos, for the ones who never see Ray Hanna and his spitfire flying under a stone bridge (1988) ...
Video:
Spitfire under bridge (0 min 19 sec)

Or picture below.
FLB is offline Find More Posts by FLB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:41 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,010 Posts
Not a Spit, but a great flyover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...0&feature=fvwp
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:06 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
B-1 flyover at UVA's Scott Stadium. (UVA beat Miami 41-40)

Video (30 seconds) taken on 11/10/12 by RCG member dlt2859.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Aug 2008
11 Posts
Nice videos but lets get back to the UM Spitfire shall we?

What type of performance will you get when changing the standard motor to a Bravo SX motor and use high quality batteries? Is it worth the effort to do the swap?

I fly the UM P-51 with a nice performing standard motor (changed motor once), how would you say that a UM Spitfire with Bravo SX motor compares to a UM P-51 with a good performing standard motor?
Jerka is offline Find More Posts by Jerka
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:05 AM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLB View Post
Really nice demonstration and good pilot. I still don't know how to do rolling circle ... Did you do some modifications on your plane?
No, the plane was new out of the box. Just had to trim the elevator and it was good to go.
Oatmeal Savage is online now Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:39 AM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerka View Post
What type of performance will you get when changing the standard motor to a Bravo SX motor and use high quality batteries? Is it worth the effort to do the swap?
With the Bravo SX motor alone you should achieve a 25%-30% increase in static thrust. With the addition of a good battery you should get even more thrust again + longer flight times depending on the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerka View Post
I fly the UM P-51 with a nice performing standard motor (changed motor once), how would you say that a UM Spitfire with Bravo SX motor compares to a UM P-51 with a good performing standard motor?
I dont own a Spitfire, but I am well read on the subject and aerodynamic principals aswell, so I can make a theoretical educated guess on the comparisons of the 2 platforms. However by all means dont take my words as gospel.

As the Spitfires heavier, it may nearly cancel out the added performance of the SX motor, but in saying that it should still slightly out perform a stock P-51 in vertical flight. Also as the Spitfire is heavier the stall speed will be a little higher, and landings will need to be attempted at a higher speed, but on the plus side the added weight should help to pierce the wind.

The spitfire has a better quality aileron servo, and I believe it is a long throw servo too, so rolls should be a bit more snappier when compared to the P-51.

The biggest difference is in the AS3X technology, making the Spitfire more stable with better flying characteristics in the wind.

If you got the money Id suggest building a P-51 out of replacement parts and kitting it out with the Spitfire electronics. This way you get the best of both worlds on a platform that takes better to upgrades. For example the spitfire battery sits right up the front in a specifically designed battery compartment, so not only is it harder to fit larger better quality batteries, it also greatly impacts the CG.

If you choose to build a P-51 out of replacement parts and kitt it out with the Spitfire electronics you can place everything exactly where you want it to achieve your desired CG with a larger better quality battery (currently in my mustang I have a 260mah 35-70c 1s nanotech battery that allows me to fly for 10 - 15 mins). During the coming winter months Im going to do the above mentioned and create a home brewed P-51 Mustang V2

EDIT:

Mustang
Weight: 34.6g
Wingspan: 401mm

Spitfire
Weight: 46.8g
Wingspan: 403mm

Thats a 12g difference on just about the same wingspan In addition the Spitfire wings look to have a skinnier chord adding to the wing loading too (if anyone has both planes please chime in with the actual chord measurements)

The above info only adds to my lust of creating a 'franken-stang', combining the p-51 airframe with the spitfire electronics
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Last edited by valiantGLX; Dec 05, 2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:30 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
Maidened my spit the other day. Damn it looks awesome swooping in on a wide turn! I had an elevator issue with it - has anyone else experienced a delay in response when launching it? I tossed it out and i thought it was going to plow into the ground when finally it nosed up and gained some altitude - then it was fine. Did this twice. Are there any other reports of taking a split second to respond to radio commands?
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:38 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Maidened my spit the other day. Damn it looks awesome swooping in on a wide turn! I had an elevator issue with it - has anyone else experienced a delay in response when launching it? I tossed it out and i thought it was going to plow into the ground when finally it nosed up and gained some altitude - then it was fine. Did this twice. Are there any other reports of taking a split second to respond to radio commands?
airspeed maybe? Do you launch with your left or right hand?
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:03 PM
Romans 8:34-39
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
8,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
airspeed maybe? Do you launch with your left or right hand?
right hand, and i'm right handed. I tossed it a good ways - it was probably 20 yards away from me, she has a pretty good glide for a little thing, and i had been on the sticks pulling up for (i would guess) around a second before it snapped up and from then it was fine. Odd behavior and I thought it a one-off until I brought it in for a landing and tried a second launch. I'll try again throwing it harder and see if that helps resolve it. Also as I'm writing this I'll check again for binding on the control rod, although they were free and working fine in preflight checks.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:43 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
no, but i have the LG off now. i put half throttle and it plowed to the ground. i put full throttle and she was fine. no response delay though but i always have problems getting it to recognize the tx just before i start my flights. even with it held at a distance it sometimes refuses. gets annoying.
cmdl is online now Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Nov 2012
8 Posts
Motor cuts out/stutters during flight why?

When flying my spit fire the motor will rapidly cut out on and off or as if it is pulsing or stuttering.
Does anybody know what might be causing this problem and have a solution?
I am using a hobby zone DSM2 transmitter that came with my champ?
The spit fire has no major crash damage.
My LHS was unable to duplicate this problem in the shop and had no clue?
Tarifn is offline Find More Posts by Tarifn
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:37 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarifn View Post
When flying my spit fire the motor will rapidly cut out on and off or as if it is pulsing or stuttering.
You might need a better battery. I find that anything under 25c just doesn't cut it with the spit or even my t-28 with AS3X. Especially at full throttle.Im going to try some hyperions from rc babbell as soon as I get a few extra bucks. It's hard competing with Santa this time of year.
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:52 PM
rgthd007 on YouTube
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Mar 2010
416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
You might need a better battery. I find that anything under 25c just doesn't cut it with the spit or even my t-28 with AS3X. Especially at full throttle.Im going to try some hyperions from rc babbell as soon as I get a few extra bucks. It's hard competing with Santa this time of year.
+1 on the battery being the cause.
Oatmeal Savage is online now Find More Posts by Oatmeal Savage
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:59 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
yeah, sounds like you are hitting LVC. Are these "previously used" batteries? I had some Nanotech 160s from last year and they weren't good enough even though they fly the other stuff I have. but they also have been flown every week for probably 20 weeks last indoor season. I would expect new nanotechs would be fine. it really likes the Mini Aviation 190s I bought but they are brand new
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2012, 11:19 PM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarifn View Post
Are you by any chance flying in freezing temps < 50 deg F (10 deg C)?
These 1 cell li-pos do not work too well in those types of temps.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress