SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:03 AM
Woodinville, WA
Joined Jul 2009
442 Posts
Got my Spitfire a couple weeks ago after finally re-ordering after my original phone order in August was not put through by Horizon Hobby mysteriously.

Everything was fine with the plane except ailerons seemed to lock out sometimes. After attempting to fly it several times, I barely got it up for one circuit above the street before it toppled down again. After the new dings in the wing, I discovered next outing that the aileron connection at the receiver was faulty. By moving the battery wire around slightly, the ailerons would work, then not, etc, etc. Elevator, rudder and throttle was not affected negatively. My last flight after discovering this, the whole thing became unresponsive after a nice landing.

Has anyone else experienced a faulty receiver on the Spitfire?

Horizon hobby says they need to verify that it's faulty before a replacement. I hope they pay for the shipping!
Joseph
JoeCube is offline Find More Posts by JoeCube
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:45 PM
Lusby, MD 20657
Joined Mar 2001
502 Posts
On my first flight of my Spitfire, my ailerons work. Went to do another flight they did not work. Did some testing at home and call HH. In then I sent the plane to HH customer service center.i received a new plane with no problems.
pdansalvish is offline Find More Posts by pdansalvish
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:22 PM
FLB
Montreal-Toulouse
Joined Jul 2002
420 Posts
Hi all,

First post in this thread and for a long time...
I bought few weeks ago a UM Spitfire. It flew very nicely. Much more agile after my Champ...
Last week, attacked by a sparrowhawk, the Spit hits the ground. Result a "classical" small crack in my left wing (under side) starting at the gun level. I repaired it just with tape and it was fine. Today, after another hawk's attack without damage, as the plane was going out of a loop the right wing suddenly snapped in flight (root of the wing). Of course, the plane crashed like a "swirling bullet" into the ground.
Did that happen to somebody already?
Is there a place to see pictures of "how to replace parts on a UM Spitfire"?
Thanks for your advises.

Frederic
FLB is offline Find More Posts by FLB
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:51 AM
Joined Apr 2012
20 Posts
Hi FLB,

So sad, but the wreck looks very scale. It seems that the pilot survived. I still not haven`t made my maiden flight with Spit, becouse of weather and place. It seems to be that the hawks are very good random fighters
Pepo is offline Find More Posts by Pepo
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
United States, OH, Parma Heights
Joined Aug 2012
750 Posts
Well my t-28 with the AS3X didn't work as planned. It balanced fine and I got all the controls to work after a couple of attempts. It would fly ok when flown very slow, but anything past half throttle and it just rocked back and forth between ailerons. I think it must be programmed for the weight of the spitfire and the T-28 is just way to light. So back to the drawing board.
dbdukeboy is online now Find More Posts by dbdukeboy
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:32 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,148 Posts
Try and balance with the prop, how is the vibration?
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
Try and balance with the prop, how is the vibration?
No vibration at all cg is perfect. Prop was perfect, it has absent shaft now. Was out of control this morning and spiraled nose first from pretty high. I have a few extra shafts so it should be a pretty quick fix. I think that the wing is so much lighter than the spit is the problem
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:05 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,925 Posts
The T28 also has MUCH less aileron deflection, so the gyro is probably fighting to get a response, but not getting enough.
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:24 PM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
750 Posts
So I redid it gain tonight for the third time. After th first flight I thought the ailerons were backwards so I reversed the servo.thats why it went crazy today. After studying it for a while tonight I realized the control horns on the t-28 are on opposite sides on the spit. Wich is why I had to reverse rudder on my tx. So I switched the ailerons back and reversed the control horns. Bench testing it really seems to be working right. So I'll toss it in the air tomorrow morning and see what happens. I really think it is going to fly this time :-)
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
Your customer
Berkley, MI
Joined Dec 2009
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Well my t-28 with the AS3X didn't work as planned. It balanced fine and I got all the controls to work after a couple of attempts. It would fly ok when flown very slow, but anything past half throttle and it just rocked back and forth between ailerons. I think it must be programmed for the weight of the spitfire and the T-28 is just way to light. So back to the drawing board.
Consider reprogramming the AS3x. The usb adapter costs $10 if my memory serves me right, and the software gui is free. I think it may have an adjustment for gains. The gain in this case is how sensitive the gyros are in sensing and countering a rotating motion. So for your ailerons you would want to back this down till it stops rocking.

If its not adjustable in the software, you can adjust the linkage out at the ailerons. Going to a hole further out on the control horn will decrease whats called the mechanical gain, but the only downside is that it will affect your tx throw too.

The last thing you can try are the preprogrammed settings for the other airframes. Who knows, one may suit the T-28. For example, there is a configuation file called "high speed", and I'm certain this one will have low gain settings.
Silverexpress is offline Find More Posts by Silverexpress
Last edited by Silverexpress; Nov 20, 2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:37 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverexpress View Post
Consider reprogramming the AS3x. The usb adapter costs $10 if my memory serves me right, and the software gui is free. I think it may have an adjustment for gains. The gain in this case is how sensitive the gyros are in sensing and countering a rotating motion. So for your ailerons you would want to back this down till it stops rocking.

If its not adjustable in the software, you can adjust the linkage out at the ailerons. Going to a hole further out on the control horn will decrease whats called the mechanical gain, but the only downside is that it will affect your tx throw too.

The last thing you can try are the preprogrammed settings for the other airframes. Who knows, one may suit the T-28. For example, there is a configuation file called "high speed", and I'm certain this one will have low gain settings.
Do you know where to get the USB adapter?
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:10 AM
Way to many airplanes!
Canada, QC
Joined Oct 2009
5,489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdukeboy View Post
Do you know where to get the USB adapter?
Part number: SPMA3060

You can order it from pretty much any hobby shop and get it a week later, or order it from Horizon Hobby.

Side note:

While searching on youtube for new videos of the UM Spitfire, I found this video of a real Spitfire, and a guy who almost lost his head Only 30 seconds, but you'll likely watch it twice!

Spitfire Low Pass (0 min 32 sec)
RealGambler is offline Find More Posts by RealGambler
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:01 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
750 Posts
So I got it up today and it flew perfect. Slightly tail heavy but that's an easy fix. However absolutely no wind this morning. Will have to see how it handles the wind later. So I guess having the rudder control horn on the wrong side was what was making it go crazy!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,611 Posts
Hmm, have flown this a few times and I have to say I enjoy it but I don't love it.

It seems to fly tail down, dragging it's tail around the pattern like a dog dragging it on the lawn. Don't know if that's the typical attitude or if I should do some mechanical elevator trim to adjust it. Worried about over adjusting it and causing a nose dive.

Also have a spit a buddy crashed that I can move the motor and brick to another plane, now to figure out what plane to think of putting it in or what plane to build.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:37 AM
Newbe learning everyday!
Joined Aug 2012
750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
Hmm, have flown this a few times and I have to say I enjoy it but I don't love it.

It seems to fly tail down, dragging it's tail around the pattern like a dog dragging it on the lawn. Don't know if that's the typical attitude or if I should do some mechanical elevator trim to adjust it. Worried about over adjusting it and causing a nose dive.

Also have a spit a buddy crashed that I can move the motor and brick to another plane, now to figure out what plane to think of putting it in or what plane to build.
I just finished up a t-28 and it flies great, just remember to reverse the control horns on the rudder and elevator. You also have to mount the as3x brick vertically. That was pretty easy with a few small pieces of foam and ca. Hot glued the brick to the foam pieces