HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:31 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
I believe most will have seen this but it's an interesting video where they race a REAL Spitfire and an MX2 Red Bull air races plane around an island course ...

The real deal sure had some power, that's for sure!

Can't wait for this little offering.

Marlin

Spitfire Versus MX2 (1 min 37 sec)
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:47 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,928 Posts
Thanks!

That Spitfire/Red Bull air race vid is fascinating.

Please keep us up to speed as the sequels are released!

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Marlin,

Cool! I thought I had watched all of the the Red Bull racing shows, but I missed that one! Thanks for sharing!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,741 Posts
Yeah, it was a neat little vid, would have liked MORE footage of the actual race, just to see the spitty in the air! Love the Red Bull Air Races, those pilots are absolutely AMAZING!

Spitfire, however, is hands down my favourite aircraft of all time, any age. Just a classic! I WILL have a large model some day as well, but for now, the Mk IIb, Mk IX and now this UM Spitty will have to keep me happy.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Feb 17, 2012, 04:25 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,576 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I'm not dissing the plane. I am simply being realistic about its performance, given that it uses the same motor & gearbox as the other UM warbrids, yet is heavier. I'll most likely buy one because it looks great, I love Spits, and because I already know how 'big' AS3X can make a small plane feel. But I am not content with just putting around with a warbird. I'd rather be rolling over & heading for the deck @ war-emergency power for a mock dive-bombing run, or screaming across the runway for a mock strafing pass. Or shooting touch & gos. But not putting around. I have other planes for that. Just as I have other planes for unlimited vertical & 3D. Given that expecting a warbird to perform a scale loop has nothing to do with unlimited vertical or 3D, I'm not sure why you brought them up.
While you might not feel you are dissing the plane, it certainly comes across as that with as many times as you have posted the performance concern. if this ship doesn't have your preferred performance, it might not be the ship for you. Maybe one of those other planes you have is a properly powered spit. I brought up the vertical and 3D issue as I don't need any one plane to be EVERYTHING. I can buy a Spit and be happy with the lines and live with the performance and if not, kit bash it with the other mods. I thought I was going to feel the need to put an SX into my Polecat but I have been happy with it as stock after all. I do like what the SX did for my 4-Site, but I also have flown 4-Sites stock for quite a few flights

Quote:
I will most likely put a Bravo SX motor in the Spit. It's a simple swap, and it provides a 40% increase in thrust over the stock setup. It's a popular upgrade for the brushed UM warbirds & aerobatic planes. A top-quality battery is mandatory, though. The stock & 'bargain' cells will cut out before the plane even gets airborne.
The SX is a reasonable option, not a really simple swap if you have to change the pinion and wires. you have the option of paying RCBabble to do it certainly. other than things like the Champ, Vapor and Ember, none of the planes get proper performance without a better quality battery and it seems E-Flite has recognized that and discontinued the current 120mah and 150mah cells and have a 160mah in the pipeline. but then I've been using the 160mah nanotechs from the start and they've been about a $1.50 each and perform quite well, even 2 years old flying indoors every week, 5 months of the year

Quote:
Regarding the release date - at first I was disappointed. But when I considered that I bought the Beast 3D last November, I picked up an mQX a few weeks ago, the Gee Bee I pre-ordered came in last week, and that I immediately pre-ordered the Mig 15, Carbon Cub, and ASK-21 when they were announced, and that I'm also getting the Blade 300 X - I realized that my hobby budget needs a breather! Horizon is really on a roll this year!

Joel
and sometimes it's nice to just kick back and design and build what you want from the ground up and take all these issues by the horns and see what compromises you decide to make in getting to the ultimate model. it can be a time consuming issue building a new model, I know, I do it as a business. And unfortunately nobody seems to stock "spare time".

Jim
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: And into the winter season...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 08:39 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,155 Posts
I haven't been following this tread, but I thought I would post this video that I took at Efest. Seth Arnold introduces the Ultra Micro Spitfire Mk IX at Efest 2012.

Seth Arnold introduces ParkZone's Ultra Micro Spitfire Mk IX at Efest 2012 (3 min 0 sec)
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:38 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
I haven't been following this tread, but I thought I would post this video that I took at Efest. Seth Arnold introduces the Ultra Micro Spitfire Mk IX at Efest 2012.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oxrQyHgZPs
whoa nice! its actually pretty fast!
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:39 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,928 Posts
Quote:
Looks sweet to me.

And survived a midair (or forced grounding?) with no damage........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:43 AM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricrc68 View Post
whoa nice! its actually pretty fast!
It is quite fast, but he was able to slow it down nicely too.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Feb 17, 2012, 09:46 AM
The Sweet Aroma of 92 Octane
United States, PA, Downingtown
Joined May 2011
4,411 Posts
Quote:
It is quite fast, but he was able to slow it down nicely too.
yeah i saw that. looks like its a capable aircraft.
electricrc68 is offline Find More Posts by electricrc68
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
0.9g retracts
3" from insanity, 2' from the computer ,Richford, Tioga county, Southern Tier, New York, U.S., North American Continent, Northern hemisphere, Earth, The Sol System, Milkyway Galaxy, The Universe, The Current Dimension, Your Selected Realm of Reality.
Joined Dec 2006
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdwolters View Post
I did this for my UM P-51. I started with 1S and it was OK, but not quite as good as stock. On 2S it goes absolutely nuts with a 4530 prop - too much fun! The only drawback may be that you can't keep the new stock 4-blade prop. We also have to make sure that the new Rx has a brushless more like the AR6400 - it seems that it will. In order to keep the stock 4-blade prop, we may want to switch to the solo pro motors.
Jd,

What kind of thrust were you getting out of the AP05 on the single cell? And to keep the stock 4 Blade I was thinking of boring out the hub to the motor shaft's thickness and then using some Lock-tite to keep it on. I do the same thing when putting a J3 prop on a mustang gear box.
Yellow Baron is offline Find More Posts by Yellow Baron
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:04 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
While you might not feel you are dissing the plane, it certainly comes across as that with as many times as you have posted the performance concern. if this ship doesn't have your preferred performance, it might not be the ship for you. Maybe one of those other planes you have is a properly powered spit. I brought up the vertical and 3D issue as I don't need any one plane to be EVERYTHING. I can buy a Spit and be happy with the lines and live with the performance and if not, kit bash it with the other mods. I thought I was going to feel the need to put an SX into my Polecat but I have been happy with it as stock after all. I do like what the SX did for my 4-Site, but I also have flown 4-Sites stock for quite a few flights

The SX is a reasonable option, not a really simple swap if you have to change the pinion and wires. you have the option of paying RCBabble to do it certainly. other than things like the Champ, Vapor and Ember, none of the planes get proper performance without a better quality battery and it seems E-Flite has recognized that and discontinued the current 120mah and 150mah cells and have a 160mah in the pipeline. but then I've been using the 160mah nanotechs from the start and they've been about a $1.50 each and perform quite well, even 2 years old flying indoors every week, 5 months of the year

and sometimes it's nice to just kick back and design and build what you want from the ground up and take all these issues by the horns and see what compromises you decide to make in getting to the ultimate model. it can be a time consuming issue building a new model, I know, I do it as a business. And unfortunately nobody seems to stock "spare time".

Jim
Jim,

Again - I wasn't dissing. Being critical, yes - but that is not the same as dissing. I never said that I dislike the plane, or that people shouldn't buy it. Sorry if that was the impression.

Regarding the SX motor - I consider it a simple swap because all that's required is a pinon & connector change - as opposed to say, modifying/swapping the gearbox, or going brushless.

On batteries - back when the first UM Sukhoi came out, I was one of the first on RCG to recommend higher-performance batteries. I did a lot of battery load-testing back then. At first, the CSRC 130 was the king of the UM cells. Then Hyperion joined the fray & took the top spot. TP eventually jumped into the ring, along with others. We have surely come a long way in a short time with these little LiPos! So far, no one has been able to knock Hyperion off the top spot when it comes to performance & longevity, but the competition is heating up, I think. Now we have a couple UM EDFs that will no doubt challenge even the best of the small packs. I wasn't aware that HH is dumping the old 150 mAh UM cell. Hope their new 160 mAh is on-par with today's high-performance UM cells (300+ cycles @ 5c charge without fading, low internal resistance, etc.), but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Seems like they're slowly getting the hint, though. They came out with a 200 mA 25c pack for the UMX Stryker 180 & Gee Bee that clearly outperforms their previous UMX packs (although it still falls short of a Hyperion 180 or 240 mAh pack in terms of voltage-holding ability under load). And then there's the price. Given the price of Eflite's LiPos, I expect a battery that blows Hyperions, Thunder Powers, and Nanos off the map. So far, the opposite has been true. But they're getting better, which shows that they're paying attention.

Regarding building - I've been building kits since the 60s, and I've also done a few scratch-builds over the years. It's not difficult to throw something together that flies. However, getting everything to play well together is a different story! Nowadays, I find that I prefer to spend most of my time flying, rather than building. (As you noted - nobody is stocking free time!) I still have an 80" Scorpio Taurus Plus in the bones than I have to finish. Besides - today's higher-end ARFs are built straighter & truer than anything I've ever built myself! I stayed away from electrics, foamies & micros for years because they didn't meet my performance, flying quality, or flight-time requirements. The Precision Aerobatics Extra 260 is what got me into the e-powered scene. (Finally, an electric that outperforms my glow & gas-powered ships! ) The original PZ UM Sukhoi is what got me into the micro scene. (Finally, a full-house ship that could do a pattern routine in the backyard! ) I had been dreaming about that since I was a kid, building & flying FF models back in the 60s.

Flybarless helis, fly-by-wire multi-rotor craft, scale UM planes with 3-axis gyro-damping systems, fully-detailed, scale UM planes with flaps & floats. UM glider towing, FPV systems that weigh less than 5 grams, telemetry systems built into our transmitters, ARFs that are built better than most modelers can build at home, micro-turbines for park-flyer-size jets. WOW!! There has never been a better time to be in this hobby!

Back to the Spit.....

Skyjet,

Nice clip! Thanks for sharing! She does look great in flight. Finally, a UM warbird that flies well inverted - despite the u/c airfoil! AS3X really helps with that - I am amazed at how well my Gee Bee flies inverted, despite its u/c airfoil. Did you see him do any loops with the Spit? The one thing I have yet to see is a good demo of its climb performance.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:15 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,671 Posts
I'm always impressed by the slow rolls they're capable of. Wish I knew how to do that!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:38 PM
Tabriz, Iran
Joined Sep 2008
2,715 Posts
NOBODY knows how horizon hobby employees(especially Seth Arnold) do those moves.

SS
starscream4002 is offline Find More Posts by starscream4002
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by starscream4002 View Post
NOBODY knows how horizon hobby employees(especially Seth Arnold) do those moves.

SS
I do often wonder how they get that performance on those stock 150's. Their piloting ability is quite impressive to boot!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710